While there have been hundreds of M&A transactions in the RIA channel in recent years, Focus Financial was one of the first strategic acquirers in the industry more than a decade ago—and has since grown into one of the largest and most influential firms in the wealth management business.
In this episode of the RIA Edge podcast, Rajini Kodialam, Focus co-founder and chief operating officer, sits with Informa’s Mark Bruno to discuss the evolution of M&A and the opportunities that exist today. Specifically, Mark and Rajini discuss:
- How RIAs—both as buyers and sellers—are thinking differently about M&A today than they were just 12 months ago, given the changes in markets, economy and cost of capital;
- What “problem” Focus specifically solves for firms that it acquires or partners with—and how has that evolved over the last decade;
- How Focus differentiates itself from other professional buyers that have emerged in recent years; and
- Opportunities for RIAs to go global and enter markets outside of the United States.
Connect With Mark Bruno:
- Website: WealthManagement.com
- LinkedIn: WealthManagment.com
- LinkedIn: Mark Bruno
- Twitter: Mark Bruno
- LinkedIn: Informa
Connect With Rajini:
About Our Guest:
Rajini is a co-founder of Focus and responsible for acquisition, relationship management and value-added initiatives across the firm.
Prior to founding Focus, Rajini worked at American Express where she managed interactive services for the U.S. Consumer Card and Travel businesses. Prior to joining American Express, she was with McKinsey & Company.
Rajini loves to cook, experiment with xeric gardening in her Austin home and aspires to write a sci-fi novel. Rajini holds an MBA from Columbia Business School in New York, a PGDM from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and a B.A. from Delhi University, India.