Skip navigation

**new** series 7 exam 11/7

or Register to post new content in the forum

110 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 6, 2012 2:19 am

Training Consultants, Training Consultants, Training Consultants!!! They did me a solid!!! Got a 90% on the test today lots of suitability questions, TC was right on the money with their programs in regard to the questions that were asked on the test… Great Product

Nov 6, 2012 10:05 am

I think that FINRA would agree that Training Consultants had questions that are very similar to those that are on the exam. In fact, FINRA recently sued them for sitting for their exams for the purpose of copying questions and providing them to their students.

Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I liked STC for the 7, my greenlight was one point higher than my score, 88. But practice exams 9-12 are actually harder than the exam, so do not be discouraged by a lower score on these.

Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has taken the new version of the exam which was updated 11/7/2012…I will be taking my 7 for the second time in 2 days. The first time I got a 68. Now I am doing much better on the practice exams from STC, I am getting 90’s as an average, I even scored a 96 on two closed book exams. Anyway If anyone knows of any changes, or new focus of the exam, I would very much appreciate the insight. Thanks!

Nov 13, 2012 12:25 am

They updated the test just a few days ago? Dont you have to wait 30 days before you retake it?

Nov 13, 2012 12:29 am

Yea, the first time I took it was Oct. 9, that’s why I’m worried about any changes

Nov 13, 2012 1:16 am
fender17guy:

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has taken the new version of the exam which was updated 11/7/2012…I will be taking my 7 for the second time in 2 days. The first time I got a 68. Now I am doing much better on the practice exams from STC, I am getting 90’s as an average, I even scored a 96 on two closed book exams. Anyway If anyone knows of any changes, or new focus of the exam, I would very much appreciate the insight. Thanks!

They updated the exam last November.

Mike
http://www.series7examtutor

Nov 13, 2012 2:30 am

Oh ok, so it should be roughly the same exam as the one I took last month. Now it all makes sense now, I was thinking “The passing grade is already 72”. WOW! That is a load off my shoulders. I should be fine then, I’ve been studying constantly these past 2 months.

Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Funny Fire Solutions story - Horrible material. I have to use it because my firm requires that I pass their tests before taking the exam. Kaplan QBank was the only reason I passed the 7, and is about to be the only reason I pass the 66. One of the other PMD’s in my office got the green light from Fire Solutions and ended up failling the 66 by 10 points.

My advice if you have to use FS (for both the 7 and 66), get green lighted as soon as possible, then lock their material up in a drawer and start using Kaplan to prepare you.

Nov 15, 2012 3:05 am

Wooohooo! I just passed my Series 7 today! Got an 82! I used STC study material, although I did fail my first time, so maybe using other material would help more. Anyway I read the whole STC book, took countless practice exams, and towards the end I was getting around 90’s on my practice exams. What helped the most though is STC offers these online classes that you can go over as many times as you need. I think that’s what did the trick in the end. If anyone has any questions just ask, I’ll check this every now and then

On to the 63!

Nov 15, 2012 3:23 am

Does anyone know if NASAA changed the series 66 exam due to their law suit against Training Consultants? I’m taking my exam in a month and have been using their material so I’m a bit worried.

Nov 25, 2012 8:36 pm
ChasingAlpha:

Does anyone know if NASAA changed the series 66 exam due to their law suit against Training Consultants? I’m taking my exam in a month and have been using their material so I’m a bit worried.

I would say no, I took the 66 on tues 11/20 and TC prep was as good on the 66 as the 7. Had only 9 days to prepare for the 66 and got a 88. The best component of the TC program has to be the explanations of the questions, they explain the application of the rule, law, or etc… in a real world situation which really helped me to grasp the concepts much better. I’m using them for the 24 and 53, have to have all of them by Feb. 1. YUK!!!

Nov 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Just took the 7 today and had some thoughts that I thought would be helpful. I passed with an 85 but made one glaring error. The lack of attention to the Addendum in the STC study guide definitely cost me a few questions. There were questions on Certificates of Participation (COPs), Vix Options, Maintenance Requirements on leveraged ETF’s and several on ETN’s. Outside of that it was pretty standard. Muni’s, Options, and a boatload of Suitability and customer account procedures. Glad its over!!

Nov 29, 2012 2:06 am

I agree with the comment above, I took it 11/14 and saw alot of addendum stuff as well, ETNs too. I used STC and felt VERY prepared. I tool all 13 practice exams and progress exams. My real score was 1 pt off greanlight #2 89% but I would say the test is like Exams 8-10, 11-13 are a little harder than the real thing. I agree with the advice to take practice exams until you go a little crazy. I also made a cheat sheet with formulas upon begining the exam. I planned to do this and memorized one sheet of formulas. It helped a bunch. On to the 66, using STC manual, TC exams…

Dec 3, 2012 4:24 am

hi. i’ve been studying for the 7 w/STC. I’ve scored in the low to mid 70s on open book QA. i’ve started taking the closed book QA and scored as follows 86, 81, 80, 76, 80, 80… i will finish the rest of the closed book and addendum. my question, are these scores good enough to sit for the exam? Your thoughts/feedback are much appreciated. BL

Dec 21, 2012 3:30 am

For what it’s worth, I took the 7 today and got an 87. I used the STC materials and had no issues. They give you the core of what you need. Make sure to study the addendum. Good luck!

Feb 6, 2013 5:58 pm

I’m greatful for alot of the advise in this forum so I thought I’d contribute. I took the Series 7 recently and passed with an 89 on the first try using strictly STC. Alot of the advise on here was spot on, don’t forget about money market securities, vrdms, auction rate securities. Make sure you know everything in the addendum, especially the products. Basically you need to know everything in that gigantic book.

Everyone in my office got on the actual exam about what they were getting on the practice exams so STC tests are accurate.

66 is up next. I’ve heard great things about STC for the 7, and I agree, and bad things about it for the 66. I plan on using STC along with some other materials. Maybe TC and Kaplan.

Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Just found out today that the Series 7 no longer is sufficient to cover Municipal Securities. If you took the exam after November 2011 when they changed the format you will also be required to take the Series 52 if you want to sell Municipal securities. Sure is getting to be a lot of work to be a financial advisor - Series 7, Series 66, Life, Heatlh, and Annuities, and now Series 52.

Feb 27, 2013 5:18 am

They are letting me take the series 7 again. I was given a super condensed version of my previous study schedule. This is not surprising considering I have already read the book and done all the online material. Going though it a second time has done wonders. I just scored an 85 on my weighted mock exam (Kaplan) without any little book-peeking. That’s a huge improvement from 70-74. I take the exam march 1st, in 3 days, and I’m excited to see how much better I do after going through Kaplan the right way.

May 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Great thread here. I’m taking the series 7 next week, and was wondering how often FINRA changes (or updates) the test. I did the FireSoltuions trainig provided, and just started the Training Consultants test bank.

If anyone has additional good study habits (or suggestions) I’m all ears.