Skip navigation

Journey to T12= $1,000,000

or Register to post new content in the forum

191 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 26, 2011 12:47 am

Emotionally very strange and difficult day today..The objective was to go through all of my prospects and hone down on the top tier quality that would do business..At first it was somewhat demoralizing since many that I thought were very good prospects just were not going to be doing biz...one guys friend from kindergarten turned out to be his advisor..another is just buying real estate..quite a few turns out are already doing business with my firm..I will say at first it really hurt..I have been making a fair amount of calls and thought I was sitting on 50 accounts or so that over time could be closed..Got a pick me up from a buddy who helps put things in perspective for me when Im being a whiny sally...its only been about 5 or 6 weeks...not that much time..and I still do have a hit list of 25 very qualified people that will do business..So all in all I am doing ok..just not as fast or as well as I would like...sure is a tough business..although as sick as it sounds thats one of the things I like about it!  had a seminar this evening that went well..went late but went well..back on the phones tomm to dig out some more for the pipeline and move this ball up the hill...day is still a positive since I moved closer to my goal then where I was yesterday...stay tuned...

Dials:146

Contacts:33

Prospects:1 (got in touch with a doc that I was playing phone tag with..for some reason clicked..ill take it!)

Oct 27, 2011 12:43 am

decent day..better attitude but tired and left early to get dinner with my sister and husband..some very good prospects..3 docs who actually took my call and wanted info and one attorney...so follow up calls set for monday we will see how it goes...thought i was going to open an account today for a woman I have been chasing...we were going to do 100k but she decided she just wants to start with 50k..no big deal..she needs to get the money out of her other brokerage account and hasnt gotten around to it yet...either way that money should be on its way...

Dials:306

Contacts:42

Prospects:5

Oct 27, 2011 1:27 am

Well done Long Shot....very well done. Goes to show....you're up and running and getting the accounts opened. It takes a lot of stamina to stay on the phones the way you are...so hat's off.

On this end, pretty good day, calls done, meeting booked, got very good news from 2 corporations about large investments, also booked another corp for a meeting and a retail prospect for a meeting. Going to be up before 5am to make it to a early  meeting with another corporation....then more calls and an evening seminar.

I'm doing all i can to get my numbers in by Christmas and it helps me.... loging on and just checking in to how you are doing...must be knowing the up and downs one goes through to generate business by phoning.

At one point this morning, was looking at a speadsheet of names and just felt the wind sap out of me, like a slow leak......anyways......got the phone in my hand and got a meeting booked......who knows what's going to happen on the next call, we just don't know....but the cummulative effect is always going to generate good business.

Thank you for posting everyday and best of success on Thursday.....you are doing fantastic....keep pushing....keep calling and keep posting.

All The Way

Oct 28, 2011 12:21 am

I let today beat me..not proud but one bad thing after another..started with a follow up call for a bond purchase and the doc told me she appreciated me calling but decided to buy the bond from vanguard...thats bad business if you as me..so shes out of my call rotation...then got call from my compliance department about the recent update to my u4...apparently the complaint from my old firm escelated and i know have a smudge..doesnt matter that it will settle with no damages just the fact that there was a complaint now shows..the whole thing makes me very angry..had to explain what happened to my manager and compliance dept then prove i did not know about it prior to switching firms..they were dismissive of the incident and understood but did not make me feel any better..i was in a crap crap mood so went home and my dog took a dump on my favorite rug to boot..usually hes a reliable source of a pick me up..needless to say making phone calls was a challenge since i know my voice was less then positive...managed to get a few good things..prospect called back about a bond i shared with his wife and wanted info..another wants to discuss in more depth monday and i got a new account..so some good stuff mixed in but didnt get to enjoy it as much as i should have..im in a weird spot now questioning how im building my business..I fully explain risk and price fluctuations with people but it concerns me even more doing it over the phone that if something does happen with a bond i sell that its really going to bite me in the ass..I think i really need to dig deap with people when opening the accounts and make double triple sure they have invested in the product before and fully understand it..i do not think i can work with people who are first time investors...it seems like too much risk..some just want a free ride and every statement to go up or they will threaten to sue..i know you all deal with this on a regular basis but it really took me back..i know not to put too much in one investment and do what i can to make sure the investment is appropriate before they buy but some people seem to be two faced bi polar monsters..some...most are good..at least i keep telling myself that...anyway..i got enrolled in some top producer class and the first thing the guy told me was to stop calling on product...am i up for a paradigm shift or was i going down the right path and just hit a road block?  I dont know..going to get in tomm and start dialing again but feel like i have lost some confidence in my direction..need help getting back on the right path..

Dials:86

Contacts:18

Prospects:1

New accounts:1

Oct 28, 2011 2:15 am

Long Shot,

That's enough to get anyone down, and the dog taking a poo on your rug......it's the cheery on the top. There are days when it's all uphill...still I read you got an account...pretty good.

In the City, I opened accounts on the phone with a stock....did 400 calls a day  for 3 weeks, then the forth week would call back all the prospects  with a good opportunity....open a shares account....2-3 accounts a month...all product.

Now, here...all about process, no mention of products, just short introductoty meetings and then discuss portfolio management....both methods work......really, it's just the way it is. Calling a guy who buy's bonds and talking about process may not work...calling a guy who buys service, and process and talking about bonds or stocks also may not work....calling a lot of people and QUALIFYING....works........so...good for you....you are at the stage that it is becoming clearer and clearer for you to, MACHINE GUN your way though a list, pick up some good prospects...then SNIPER MODE...to isolate the few from the pipeline who fit your offering and fit with your personality and your style of business....it's pretty good news and I beleive that life is sending you a few messages just to help you refine a method that is working and only needs a bit of tweeking to get over this little speed bump........Keep pressing forward.........

Oct 28, 2011 2:32 am

This was from BondGuy a few weeks back:

Long shot - Work on stronger qualifying. Ask  what types of bonds they are interested in/yields/ratings/maturities Most important: Ask money question. Also, work on closing. There is an exercise that can help. Gather all leads, call them and sell them something!!!! Anything, product ,service or meeting

This…was posted from DashOver last weak on a different post.

“I talked to the lead , my cold caller handed to me. He was President of a company with 60 employees  ( So far so good). I mentioned a local utility income idea, he sounded chirpy. I asked him to rate the effectiveness of his current approach ( He said D-) I said "If I can get you to an A, would you consider some alternate ideas? " ( He said yes) So I ran out 22 miles to his company; Turns out his 401k is down 40% and his $2mm home is in foreclosure, etc. He had $27,000 in the bank. He may have some cash next year... --------------------------- I FORGOT to SIZE;

By the way ; When you look at your current retirement investments, and your personal programs, and your portfolio... Are you working with over $2,000,000?

If they say errr,  Say    over $1,000,000? Try and nail it down now, otherwise you may waste the next 6 calls and meetings  etc. You can always add " The reason I ask is , Many of the Programs we review and recommend have minimums that lend themselves to clients with portfolio's over $1,000,000 or something...

LongShot……..these are very usuefull tracks to run on…..this is  priceless.

….you are great at the first wave……..hitting the phone 400+ times a day….but buddy, that’s just the first sweep…you got to go back (best on the first call, with time..) ,and re-qualify….if not sure if prospect has done this before…just ask “ you have done this before right”

“Ok, great, and when was the last time, with who, what did you do…..Ok, so you are experienced”…then get into it………just my two cents worth having given it some thought and rooting for you since post #1.

All The Way

Oct 29, 2011 1:56 pm

LS, I've been rooting for you since post #1 also...one of those 4500 views you've got here.  Keep up the solid work and find different ways to push through those tough days.  It's all about not giving in to the tons of rejection we face everyday.

Just an idea for you since I know you're calling on munis/fixed income.  If you have a good feeling they're fixed income investors somewhere else, ask them about their risk exposure...more specifically, the modified duration of their current bond portfolio.  Guarantee you no one will know....even the whales....and then pitch that...offer them a portfolio review and have your bond desk run their modified duration.

Take it for what it's worth, but I plan on trying it when i get rolling this week.  Good luck and keep trucking!

Oct 30, 2011 11:48 pm

was having some computer problems so could not post my friday numbers...kinda a weak frustrating day..but did get two good prospects..I appreciate the recent advice..I am working on improving...slowly but improving..any way..

dials:311

Contacts:17

Prospects:2

I got very aggrivated with my contact ratio...awful frustrating...

Oct 31, 2011 12:56 am

Long Shot,

You're doing great....just keep improving....bit by bit......it all averages out......keep stacking the deck in your favour......I got a couple substancial ones on the go....really would like to see One or Two open up.......should know within 2-3 weeks...in the meantime.......going to keep pusing the ball forward.....have a great week....catch you in 24hrs.....good Luck....

Oct 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Happy Halloween everyone! not my favorite holiday...I always found halloween costumes and going to parties to be incredibly awkward...But the pretty girls seem to embrace it and I am pro that...Not to go too far in a strange direction..decent day today.  got another account open which is nice but had a slow call day..for some reason depending on the list I am calling on my pace varies drasticially...I think because its only got 20 names per side I dont keep the hammer down as long and take more breaks...who knows..found two good prospects as well and then a bunch of gargbage...good follow up call that may lead to biz or may not..just chop chop chopping away...left early so I could hand out candy..weak excuse but taking it!

Dials:200

Contacts:36

1 New account!!

Nov 1, 2011 1:13 am

Good for you Long Shot....excellent on the new account.....and the calls......keep going.......got a good meeting booked today and some other leads on the go....should be an interesting week....same here...got out early and went out with the kids on the candy run........catch you in 24hrs....

Nov 2, 2011 12:22 am

chop cho chopping away..decent day today..some good follow up calls that may lead to some good business and couple new prospects..nothing magical.

Dials:386

Contacts:45

I found myself reading the judges 500 day war post...really does a good job putting things in perspective..also made me aware that i need to maintin a 50+ contact clip to hit the numbers hes talking about...def doable...dinner then little workout and refocus for tomm..

Nov 2, 2011 11:54 pm

got snubbed today...spent most of the day calling on a corporate directory..i think i need to try a different industry...most the time no one picks up or if they do they sound like they are my age..which is not a good thing...only a handful I speak to even seem remotely qualified...oh well...the jackasses were out in full force today but managed to stumble through the calls..crap results but hoping for some luck tomm..

Dials:500

Contacts:52

Prospects:0

Nov 3, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi LS,

I've been following your post's and noticed you tend to get slightly blue (as we all do) when you've made the calls, put in the work...  But the ratios just don't add up.  A few years back I started doing something that I'd like to share with you.  It helped me dramatically.

Ever notice that when you get to that point; just as you emotionally dip some type of gratifying event happens after?  Like the client who has always told you NO 'magically' calls you and asks where he can send the ACAT?

In my experience, the things we do between defeat and accomplishment quantify how close we get to our goals.  To help with this psychological battle I began not just keeping metrics of my short term ratios but monthly, quarterly and yearly analytics as well.  For instance, let's say you had a day of 500+ calls with resulting contact-prospect ratios closer to results you'd typically see with 100 calls.  This happens let's say 5 days in a row.  Naturally you will start to question things like: leads, script, professional accredation and the likes.   When this happens to me I reference my long term trends.  The numbers don't lie.  Referencing my long term numbers, it's factual that over a 1 month period of 21 trading days my average call to contact to prospect ratio is X:X:X.   

Entertaining enough, I use this shoulder to cry on when I feel as if I am shoving a square peg through a round hole.  Conversely, if my monthly trends aren't constantly improving or I see long term degredation, I re-evaluate my plan and search for solutions.

My other bit of advise is that I notice you post everyday.  I believe holding yourself accountable is important however, constantly evaluating yourself seems rather stressful.  You have enough on your plate as it is.  If I where you, I would continue to take personal note of each day's tally then post a total of the weeks numbers on say Sunday.  Compare it to running a marathon you've never ran before.  Would you continuously stop and remind yourself of how far you've gone?  I think you'd have better sucess by focussing on the end result.  That feels good emotionally.  That's fuel.  Take note of your daily metrics and keep pushing.  At the end of the week review your week, analyze you're weaknesses and progress then put the numbers away and just work.  Play golf not golf swing!

Looks like you're doing a great job and I hope this helps!  

IAE

Nov 3, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey long shot great work man, Im going to be starting in a few months, would you mind sharing how you are building your lists? What resources you are using. Thank you

Nov 3, 2011 10:12 pm

today goes in the win column..setting meeting with an exec at a large company ive been calling on which is a plus..still low contact ratiosbut going to just keep pluggin away..iae-thanks for the advice.  I like that mentality..i would be curious after more time goes by and i have a larger sampling to see how it works out...as for only posting weekly..not going to work..part of the reason for me starting this thread was to post every day so that i would make sure i did the activities every day...i know myself...if i posted just weekly i would slack one day and say ill just make it up tomm...i know how that game goes for me..i can see where its putting stress on myself but i need it...i know when i dont feel like calling that each day it has become expected that i post some results...it helps keep me focused and fight through the tough ones...

Dials:400

contacts:25

Prospects:3

left early..little beat up and grabbing dinner with my sis..catch you all tomm

Nov 3, 2011 10:20 pm

I agree.  Knowing yourself and how to get the most out of that person in the mirror each morning is in my mind true success LS!  

Nov 4, 2011 10:47 pm

Long Shot,

Just wanted to say I very much enjoyed your posts and congratulate you on all your efforts. Have a great weekend, relax and come back swinging!!!!!! Also, well done on your new account.....Catch up with you again on Monday.

All The Way.

Nov 4, 2011 11:02 pm

Dials:319

Contacts:57

Prospects:3

Switched up my lists and made a world of difference..contact ratio went up and got 3 appointments in the pipeline..happy friday all

Nov 7, 2011 11:03 pm

hot dog today was a productive day..switched up lists on friday and it has made a world of a difference..contact ratio has shot way up which gives a better chance of finding a yes...lots of contacts and quite a few good prospects today...wanted to keep going but ran out of numbers and in the pursuit of more numbers ran out of motivation and energy..quite a few interested in attending my seminar and 4 appointments coming up with plenty to be set over the next few months..chicken and tv time..

Dials:259

Contacts: 72

Prospects:13