Skip navigation

155 and counting

or Register to post new content in the forum

137 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jul 3, 2006 3:13 am

[quote=noggin][quote=unsunghero]

Ahh now we get the true colors on Newbie.  I'll give you that those who are failing tend to migrate toward others that are failing.  But at Jones they have no more difficulty finding each other than at any other firm... ever heard of a telephone?

As for support and going indy.  I have not heard anyone complain about the support they got from Jones.  What I have heard and have said myself is that Jones has very limited platform and conflicted product offering. Both of these are greatly enhanced by going to one of the larger indy firms.

As for email.  Do you have a license to do business in this industry?  Are you suggesting that Jones IR's who want email sign up for a free Yahoo acct and correspond with clients that way?  And to think you were worried about supervision before?

Save your line about being in on an arbitration hearing. You sound more like a wannabe Jones home office clone or the janitor someone called you before.

As for calling Jones a cult.  Why dont you let those of us who were in it and left be the judge of that.  You are a dumbass.  Thanks for clearing it up finally.

[/quote]

Unsung- I work at jones and I have email and it is not through Yahoo.

[/quote]

You and 14 others....

Jul 3, 2006 3:31 am

The email conundrum is a real problem in Wall Street.

There have been thousands of wasted man-hours spent trying to come to grips with the reality that it exists and that it is all but impossible to police what is being said in emails.

Most firms have arrived at a method of capturing every email sent to or from an RR in a branch office.  They are archieved and are available should compliance issues arise.  Every so often somebody will actually read through a reps correspondence--in other words what you send or get in office email is not confidential.

No doubt Jones is dealing with a logistical nightmare since their salesforce is so geographically diversified.  I am not enough of a techincal guy to know just how much hardware would be required, but I suspect there could be software that would transfer your email files to the compliance department.

Meanwhile a broker/dealer is perfectly within its rights to tell their representatives to not use email--and to send all of the clients a letter explaining that if they act on any advice delivered by email they surrender their right to file an arbitration claim against Jones for that advice.

Email can be fine for exchanging information, making an appointment, or any of the other things that a rep might need to do.  I would not have a problem telling my clients that the reason I am using a Yahoo address is because the who theory behind Jones is to be uninfluenced by the corporate BS that infects a place like Morgan Stanley.

Complain about Jones and their attitude towards option writing accounts if you want, or complain that they're not known for having a lot of allocaton of new issues, there are lots of things to complain about.

But whining that it's a cult, or that the regional partner dresses in cheap clothes, or that you don't have state of the art email is grasp at straws.  Not a one of those things has the power to turn a loser into a winner.

Read through this stuff and you'll find whiners saying things like "Breathe on a mirror and you've got a job at Jones."

Well, that may be true--and the guy doing the whining is living proof.

Jul 3, 2006 3:42 am

Noggin,

My point had nothing do to with who does or does not have email at Jones.  This Newbie guy acted like anyone can get email so why complain that your firm doesnt provide it.  Congrats on the email though.

Jul 3, 2006 4:11 am

Newbie,

Your previous quote on email was,

Somebody is whining about not having e-mail.  How basic is that?  A sixth grader can get his own e-mail address without any adult intervention.

Now you go on some tangent about a vast industry email conundrum.  What the hell are you talking about?  Who gives a rip about email except that Jones had been promising it for 7-10 years with lame excuses like you will need an extra BOA(assistant) per broker to handle the email volume.  Now they have email. Great!  Bet every IR doesn't need another BOA.  That's the basic anti Jones gripe on email although each person can insert the lame excuse from their own experience I just entered mine.

What about the supposed support complaints?  Those are BS.  Or is there a vast industry conundrum on open architecture platforms too?

I have to say I really like the reference to the "young people" who might be mislead by some of the anti Jones comments.  I have seen more stupid "old" people at Jones regurgitate BS that would make a billy goat puke than I have seen "young people" be mislead.   You sound like an old condescending dumbass who spends most of his days standing in front of a toilet waiting for something to happen.  Well here's a tip.  Get off the swollen prostate medication and pull your head out of your ass and your urethra will flow like old times.

Jul 3, 2006 11:45 am

[quote=unsunghero]

I have to say I really like the reference to the "young people" who might be mislead by some of the anti Jones comments.  I have seen more stupid "old" people at Jones regurgitate BS that would make a billy goat puke than I have seen "young people" be mislead.   You sound like an old condescending dumbass who spends most of his days standing in front of a toilet waiting for something to happen.  Well here's a tip.  Get off the swollen prostate medication and pull your head out of your ass and your urethra will flow like old times.

[/quote]

For the young people who are reading this.

This industry is not filled with angry losers like this guy.  Do you suppose that if  he were able to close a deal he'd really care about email?

The reference to open architecture has to do with the state of the art computer systems--just like everywhere in society we're always looking at that other guy's computer and thinking "Gee Whiz but that's neat."

The reality is that whatever he had somebody else would have something better.  If he were not such an angry guy it wouldn't matter what he was using.

It's not about e-mail; it's not about computers; it's not about your local manager; it's not about the national managers; it's not about your selection of funds; it's not about the quality of your firm's research; it's not about how much help you get.

What it's all about is YOU.  If you cannot close a deal you're going to be pissed off like the guy above.

If you are thought of by your peers as a joke you're going to be pissed off like that guy above.

If you are behind in your mortgage payment you're going to blame everybody but the guy in the mirror.

And as with almost every decision you make you'd be wrong there too.

A good financial planner can sell a client a mutual fund without email and without an open architecture platform.

What the guy who was spewing bile above should do is get out of the office and shake some hands instead of banging away on a keyboard.

Jul 3, 2006 1:40 pm

Nasd-

If your name conveys who you are, I am in agreement with Unsung (except for the dumbass remark). You are too new to make your claims, or you don't understand the industry yet. When you walk in someones shoes, i.e. work in the industry for 5-10 years, then comeback with your diatribes.

Email is just another tool to facilitate us or the client into action. If you are suggesting that in my post I was looking for help of some kind, I would argue I was looking for value. And it just isn't there.

Jul 3, 2006 1:59 pm

[quote=footsoldier]

If your name conveys who you are, I am in agreement with Unsung (except for the dumbass remark). You are too new to make your claims, or you don't understand the industry yet. When you walk in someones shoes, i.e. work in the industry for 5-10 years, then comeback with your diatribes.

[/quote]

When were you born?

Jul 3, 2006 3:39 pm

Newbie,

Nice comeback.  I'm behind on my mortgage. You are a dumbass.  Go take some more Flomax.

Why are you askind foot his age?  Is the age thing all you have?  You clearly have no clue about this business as revealed by your posts.  You are either totally new to the business or are a "Jones Vet."(operated in the cocoon for at least 5 years)   You think you know someting about selling because you shuffled paper for some company doing b2b sales.  Keep posting though with BBD and G1 gone we need someone to laugh at.  Dumbass.

Jul 3, 2006 3:51 pm

[quote=unsunghero]

Why are you askind foot his age?  Is the age thing all you have?  You clearly have no clue about this business as revealed by your posts.  You are either totally new to the business or are a "Jones Vet."(operated in the cocoon for at least 5 years)   You think you know someting about selling because you shuffled paper for some company doing b2b sales.  Keep posting though with BBD and G1 gone we need someone to laugh at.  Dumbass.

[/quote]

Who among us cannot appreciate sanity when it parades before our very eyes.

Do you think this soul would be so angry if he were able to shake hands with a prospect and actually close a deal?

Jul 3, 2006 4:57 pm

Nasd-

Probably before you. I am in my mid life (sad to admit). Probably more importantly I have been in this business for almost 15 years.

Any other questions?

Jul 3, 2006 4:58 pm

[quote=footsoldier]

Nasd-

Probably before you. I am in my mid life (sad to admit). Probably more importantly I have been in this business for almost 15 years.

Any other questions?

[/quote]

I took my first securities industry exam in 1971.

Does that mean I have as much experience as you do?

Jul 3, 2006 5:04 pm

NASD-

Seems like you should. Did you actually work as a rep? Or did you just get licensed in 71? If you did actually start working in 71, tell us if you wouldn't mind what was it like to work in that decade where the market was flat? What did you do to get clients, retain clients during those turbulent years?

Last question. Tell us why you continue to work 35 years later?

Jul 3, 2006 5:07 pm

[quote=NASD Newbie][quote=footsoldier]

Nasd-

Any other questions?

[/quote] 

Does that mean I have as much experience as you do?

[/quote]

No, it means that you took your first securities industry exam in 1971. 

Making the very large assumption, of course, that you're not a liar. 

Jul 3, 2006 5:49 pm

This sounds eerily like the bs spread by one notorious firm that "Traces its roots to 1871"  Doesn't say it was in business then just has some "roots" that go back that far.  Whatever.  Tell me, do you prefer Flomax or Avodart for treatment of you swelling?

Jul 3, 2006 6:15 pm

NASD Newbie = DOUG HILL

He’s the only pro-Jones gentleman who has enough time on his hands to
be out on this blog all day/every day, and write 300 word blogs. 

Welcome Doug!  (I know you hate those)

p.s.  What’s up with that picture of you that I “won” as a prize a
couple of quarters ago?  Could’t they at least have touched it up
a little? 

Jul 3, 2006 6:16 pm

FS, I don’t think “newbie” is still working despite the irony of his newest user name.  He just posts these boards as a sort of perverted “hobby”…which is probably how I should classify my use…

Jul 3, 2006 6:46 pm

[quote=Ready2Jump]NASD Newbie = DOUG HILL

He's the only pro-Jones gentleman who has enough time on his hands to be out on this blog all day/every day, and write 300 word blogs. 

p.s.  What's up with that picture of you that I "won" as a prize a couple of quarters ago?  Could't they at least have touched it up a little? 

[/quote]

And he calls me angry and frustrated.  Well, I never felt so good about calling someone a DUMBASS!

Jul 3, 2006 7:25 pm

[quote=Ready2Jump]

NASD Newbie = DOUG HILL

He's the only pro-Jones gentleman who has enough time on his hands to be out on this blog all day/every day, and write 300 word blogs. 

p.s.  What's up with that picture of you that I "won" as a prize a couple of quarters ago?  Could't they at least have touched it up a little? 

[/quote]

Boy you can't get one by on this brain trust.

I said I took my first NASD exam in 1971--Doug Hill has been around longer than that.

I've got Doug's business card on my Rolodex, along with John Bachman's and Steve Novik's.

If you're going to play this game listen to the clues.  Started in Texas, spent time on Western and Southern Regional staff, opened branches all over the country, spent a year as the interim branch manager in a North Carolina branch, spent last years of career in New York.  Very active in industry committee work, arbitration panels.

Jul 3, 2006 7:30 pm

[quote=NASD Newbie]

Boy you can't get one by on this brain trust.

I said I took my first NASD exam in 1971--Doug Hill has been around longer than that.

I've got Doug's business card on my Rolodex, along with John Bachman's and Steve Novik's.

If you're going to play this game listen to the clues.  Started in Texas, spent time on Western and Southern Regional staff, opened branches all over the country, spent a year as the interim branch manager in a North Carolina branch, spent last years of career in New York.  Very active in industry committee work, arbitration panels.

[/quote]

I doubt it.

Here's a tip for you.   Since you're making up a life, make up one more in tune with your limited industry knowledge.

Jul 3, 2006 7:40 pm

Mr. Newbie,

Did I read correctly that hold the Series 3 AND 4?