Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 4, 2009 4:51 pm

brb out getting a library card

Dec 4, 2009 5:07 pm

Just remember that the DNC only applies to residences, so you can call businesses all day long.

Dec 4, 2009 5:10 pm
gethardgetraw:

brb out getting a library card

Pick up a MILF while you are there.
Dec 4, 2009 8:02 pm

ReferenceUSA... wow this is awesome thanks guys.

Dec 4, 2009 10:36 pm

[quote=gethardgetraw]

I've adopted a new schedule:   7:30 AM - Arrive. Read emails, msgs, check inventories, headlines. Coffee, music 8:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 8:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market. 9:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 9:50 AM - Coffee, music 10:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 10:50 AM - Coffee, music 11:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 11:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market 12:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 12:50 PM - Coffee, music 1:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 1:50 PM - Coffee, music 2:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 2:50 PM - Coffee, EAT, music 3:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 3:50 PM - Coffee, music, check market 4:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 4:50 PM - Coffee, music 5:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 5:50 PM - EAT, music 6:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 6:50 PM - Music 7:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 7:50 PM - Check tomorrow's schedule  8:00 PM - Leave [/quote] My guess is that with this schedule, you made less than 150 dials today and probably less than 100.  I hope that I'm wrong.  How many did you make?   Do you sell on the phone or are you calling to try to qualify prospect or are you trying to set appointments?    For what it's worth, I do the latter and it takes me 40 dials to set two introductory appointments if they are cold. 
Dec 5, 2009 1:06 am
Lady didn't call back about the bond nor return my call. Was expected, however. Discovered ReferenceUSA - is a huge discovery. I'm calling trying to sell over the phone rather than set appointments, although I'm starting to have second thoughts. It seems like I change my script every day. Going to work tomorrow, need to make some money.

122 Calls 28 contacts 4 prospects created 0 sales  
Dec 5, 2009 1:16 am

My current script:

"Hi Mr/Mrs _____? Hey this is _____ from Edward Jones here in _______. The reason I was calling today is that we just had a ______ bond come available and they're actually paying __% tax-free. I wasn't sure if you were familiar with tax-free bonds or if you had any spare money available, but I was seeing if you might be interested. *this is when they say omfg yes ty for calling*   Ok, and really quickly, with CD rates are low as they are right now, I was seeing if you owned any outstanding CDs that I could help you get a higher interest rate on when they mature. *this is when they unload all their financial info with detailed maturity dates and amounts due*"   If they talk to me, I immediately send them a hand written thank you card as well as a rate-postcard in the mail.

Thoughts, suggestions? Definitely on the down-swing of the emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes one-man offices suck.
Dec 5, 2009 2:02 am

How is this more efficient than doorknocking? 4 prospects created? Was the 25 doorknocking not working for you? I’ve thought about cold calling myself, but not sure with the results…

Dec 5, 2009 2:25 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]

Lady didn't call back about the bond nor return my call. Was expected, however. Discovered ReferenceUSA - is a huge discovery. I'm calling trying to sell over the phone rather than set appointments, although I'm starting to have second thoughts. It seems like I change my script every day. Going to work tomorrow, need to make some money.

122 Calls 28 contacts 4 prospects created 0 sales  [/quote] 122 calls is 2 1/2 hours of work.  What else did you do today?
Dec 5, 2009 2:28 am

Went and got a library card.

Dec 5, 2009 2:51 am

[quote=fa09]How is this more efficient than doorknocking? 4 prospects created? Was the 25 doorknocking not working for you? I’ve thought about cold calling myself, but not sure with the results…

[/quote]

Agree. If you doorknock for four hours, you will bang on 120 doors (about 30 per hour), touch 20 to 30 people (note that I wouldn't call them contacts) and find 5 to 10 people worth following up.
That would be more prospects, plus you make a more powerful impression, plus you get to profile them more accurately.
PLUS, now you get to call people who will at least listen to you when you call back.

Dec 5, 2009 3:07 am

[quote=anonymous][quote=gethardgetraw]

I've adopted a new schedule:   7:30 AM - Arrive. Read emails, msgs, check inventories, headlines. Coffee, music 8:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 8:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market. 9:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 9:50 AM - Coffee, music 10:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 10:50 AM - Coffee, music 11:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 11:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market 12:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 12:50 PM - Coffee, music 1:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 1:50 PM - Coffee, music 2:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 2:50 PM - Coffee, EAT, music 3:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 3:50 PM - Coffee, music, check market 4:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 4:50 PM - Coffee, music 5:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 5:50 PM - EAT, music 6:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 6:50 PM - Music 7:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 7:50 PM - Check tomorrow's schedule  8:00 PM - Leave [/quote] My guess is that with this schedule, you made less than 150 dials today and probably less than 100.  I hope that I'm wrong.  How many did you make?   Do you sell on the phone or are you calling to try to qualify prospect or are you trying to set appointments?    For what it's worth, I do the latter and it takes me 40 dials to set two introductory appointments if they are cold.  [/quote]   I think you are full of crap... 40 contacts maybe.. but not 40 dials
Dec 5, 2009 3:10 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]My current script:

"Hi Mr/Mrs _____? Hey this is _____ from Edward Jones here in _______. The reason I was calling today is that we just had a ______ bond come available and they're actually paying __% tax-free. I wasn't sure if you were familiar with tax-free bonds or if you had any spare money available, but I was seeing if you might be interested. *this is when they say omfg yes ty for calling*   Ok, and really quickly, with CD rates are low as they are right now, I was seeing if you owned any outstanding CDs that I could help you get a higher interest rate on when they mature. *this is when they unload all their financial info with detailed maturity dates and amounts due*"   If they talk to me, I immediately send them a hand written thank you card as well as a rate-postcard in the mail.

Thoughts, suggestions? Definitely on the down-swing of the emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes one-man offices suck. [/quote]   Too much chatter and giving them too many outs..   "Hi Mr/Mrs _____? Hey this is _____ from Edward Jones here in _______. The reason I was calling today is that we just had a tax free insured bond paying __% tax-free are you currently getting that on your CDs?    
Dec 5, 2009 3:13 am

[quote=buyandhold] [quote=fa09]How is this more efficient than doorknocking? 4 prospects created? Was the 25 doorknocking not working for you? I’ve thought about cold calling myself, but not sure with the results…

[/quote]

Agree. If you doorknock for four hours, you will bang on 120 doors (about 30 per hour), touch 20 to 30 people (note that I wouldn't call them contacts) and find 5 to 10 people worth following up.
That would be more prospects, plus you make a more powerful impression, plus you get to profile them more accurately.
PLUS, now you get to call people who will at least listen to you when you call back.

[/quote]   Plus you can sell a vacuum while you are there Plus you can wear out your shoes Plus you can talk to unemployed people who are home because they have no job Plus you can talk to trophy wives who have no idea about money other than how to spend it....
Dec 5, 2009 3:41 am

[quote=chief123][quote=anonymous][quote=gethardgetraw]

I've adopted a new schedule:   7:30 AM - Arrive. Read emails, msgs, check inventories, headlines. Coffee, music 8:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 8:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market. 9:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 9:50 AM - Coffee, music 10:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 10:50 AM - Coffee, music 11:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 11:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market 12:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 12:50 PM - Coffee, music 1:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 1:50 PM - Coffee, music 2:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 2:50 PM - Coffee, EAT, music 3:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 3:50 PM - Coffee, music, check market 4:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 4:50 PM - Coffee, music 5:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 5:50 PM - EAT, music 6:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 6:50 PM - Music 7:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 7:50 PM - Check tomorrow's schedule  8:00 PM - Leave [/quote] My guess is that with this schedule, you made less than 150 dials today and probably less than 100.  I hope that I'm wrong.  How many did you make?   Do you sell on the phone or are you calling to try to qualify prospect or are you trying to set appointments?    For what it's worth, I do the latter and it takes me 40 dials to set two introductory appointments if they are cold.  [/quote]   I think you are full of crap... 40 contacts maybe.. but not 40 dials[/quote]   Me: "Good morning, Chief123.  Do you have a minute?" Chief123: "No. What's this about?" Me: "I have a meeting on Tuesday at 10:00 with one of the partners in your firm, B24.  Are you available at 9:50 for a quick 5-10 minute introduction before the meeting?" Chief123: "What is it that you do?" Me: "Primarily, I work with partners in law firms with financial issues. I know that you aren't a partner yet, but it could be a worthwhile few minutes of time." Chief123: "Sure.  I'll see you then."   Do you really think that with a soft-sell introductory approach like this it takes more than 40 dials to set two appointments?   You have to keep in mind that since I can make a very nice buck selling insurance, I don't need to prequalify for assets.  I only cold call attorneys, cpas and business owners.   P.S. I don't post B.S.
Dec 5, 2009 3:43 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]My current script:

Thoughts, suggestions? Definitely on the down-swing of the emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes one-man offices suck. [/quote]

here is my script..Hi mr jones, this is ___________ from ___________, the reason i'm calling today is we are currently offering tax free municipal bonds that are yielding 4.5% entirely free of income taxes which can be equivalent to a cd paying as much as 7%.  I was calling to see if you were interested in the offering...

if they say no, i move on period end of story, if they question me then i can get into explaining the bond and qualify for money and if they request information i will send it if i can get a real sense if they are liquid now or know when they will be liquid. 

I will then ask them "if you like the info i send you and feel it is something you are comfortable with would you be able to invest 10K in the bond.."

I made around 60 dials today and i put 2 people into my database who i feel are prospects.  both of them engaged me after i was done with my script.  i had lengthy conversations with them.  some days i get zero.  i am looking for people who recognize that my script makes big sense, really, WHO WOULDNT BE INTERESTED IN A 7% CD TODAY

if you dial the phone enough you will find people who are receptive
Dec 5, 2009 4:06 am
Me: "Good morning, Chief123.  Do you have a minute?" Chief123: "No. What's this about?" Me: "I have a meeting on Tuesday at 10:00 with one of the partners in your firm, B24.  Are you available at 9:50 for a quick 5-10 minute introduction before the meeting?" Chief123: "What is it that you do?" Me: "Primarily, I work with partners in law firms with financial issues. I know that you aren't a partner yet, but it could be a worthwhile few minutes of time." Chief123: "Sure.  I'll see you then."   Do you really think that with a soft-sell introductory approach like this it takes more than 40 dials to set two appointments?   You have to keep in mind that since I can make a very nice buck selling insurance, I don't need to prequalify for assets.  I only cold call attorneys, cpas and business owners.   P.S. I don't post B.S.     How is it you always have an appointment with someone else in the building... i find that BS, or entirely no help to people starting out who won't have that connection..    
Dec 5, 2009 4:11 am

[quote=ccmachine] [quote=gethardgetraw]My current script:

Thoughts, suggestions? Definitely on the down-swing of the emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes one-man offices suck. [/quote]

here is my script..Hi mr jones, this is ___________ from ___________, the reason i'm calling today is we are currently offering tax free municipal bonds that are yielding 4.5% entirely free of income taxes which can be equivalent to a cd paying as much as 7%.  I was calling to see if you were interested in the offering...

if they say no, i move on period end of story, if they question me then i can get into explaining the bond and qualify for money and if they request information i will send it if i can get a real sense if they are liquid now or know when they will be liquid. 

I will then ask them "if you like the info i send you and feel it is something you are comfortable with would you be able to invest 10K in the bond.."

I made around 60 dials today and i put 2 people into my database who i feel are prospects.  both of them engaged me after i was done with my script.  i had lengthy conversations with them.  some days i get zero.  i am looking for people who recognize that my script makes big sense, really, WHO WOULDNT BE INTERESTED IN A 7% CD TODAY

if you dial the phone enough you will find people who are receptive
[/quote]   You guys need to look up some of Bond Guy's pitches.. Calling to see if you are interested?? WTF   Hi mr jones, this is ___________ from ___________, the reason i'm calling today is I have a limited supply tax free bonds that are yielding 4.5% tax free which is the equivalent to a cd paying as much as 7%.  How many of your cds are yielding 7%   If they say no, dig deeper, do they have an advisor(if not probably have never heard of muni's and don't have enough to continue the call) and if they have an advisor, what firm, when was the last time they heard from them?  
Dec 5, 2009 4:17 am
"How is it you always have an appointment with someone else in the building... i find that BS, or entirely no help to people starting out who won't have that connection.."   This isn't rocket science.  We don't have to randomly make phone calls.  We get to choose who we call.   If I have an appointment with B24, he's got 50 attorneys in his office that I can call.  There are 4 other law firms and 3 CPA firms in his building.    Once someone sets their first appointment, they start to be able to make these connections.   It works almost as well to say, "I have an appointment with Joe Bloe in the law firm across the hall."   I'm always in the building because if I have an 11:00 meeting in the XYZ Building, I'm intentionally calling other people who work at XYZ building.     We don't get paid for degree of difficulty.
Dec 5, 2009 4:27 am

I randomly make phone calls… I don’t understand calling businesses doesn’t make sense to me.