Skip navigation

What series (ie 7, 65 etc) do you need to go RIA?

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Aug 20, 2008 4:10 am

Do you need the 7 or is the 65 fine?

Aug 20, 2008 5:15 am

[quote=iceco1d]The  65 is to form your own RIA, or be an IAR at someone else’s RIA.  You are allowed to provide advice for a fee…not sell products or securities.

  The 7 is to be a registered rep of a broker/dealer.  You are allowed to sell securities, but only provide advice that is incidental to the sale.  The 7 must be coupled with the 63 (state license) or the 66 (the 63 and 65 combined).  [/quote]   You sound like you should work for the SEC or FINRA. 
Aug 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Would he need a supervisory license like the 9,10 or 24?

Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm

[quote=henryhill]Would he need a supervisory license like the 9,10 or 24?[/quote]
No.  Not for an RIA.