Skip navigation

Looking to add retirement planning to CPA practice - seeking advice

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm

I’m a tax accountant for a big four and am now ready to start my own CPA practice as a tax planner/retirement specialist. I’m seeking opinions/advice on firms that will sponsor me as a limited representative so that I may add this service to my repertoire. I need a firm that will allow me to build my business on a part-time basis while making this transition. I’ve been investigating W&R and Primerica since they appear “part-time” friendly. Any other firms? Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2013 5:32 am

Hi bastermind80,

Have you thought about starting your own Registered Investment Advisor? Many small CPA firms are adding this to their practice so they can offer investment planning and advice. I assist those who are looking to start their own RIA in getting registered with the State. Please feel free to visit my website at


Tiffany Chamberlain
Managing Director, Polaris Compliance Consulting, LLC
(888) 240-4299
[email protected]

Jul 31, 2013 3:00 am

HD Vest is a good Broker/Dealer to partner with if you want to offer financial planning services. They tailor their business model specifically for CPA’s and tax professionals. I have an accounting background and recently joined them to start offering financial planning services as well. Let me know if you’d like some assistance. I can direct you to the guy that helped me get started.