Skip navigation

The SuperMan 2011 Business Log

or Register to post new content in the forum

65 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Mar 2, 2011 9:04 pm

[quote=newregrep]

I usually make my own list, but I want to purchase a batch from a reputable dealer, so this way I can do a bit of both.

I have not pithced service yet, I always pitch a product and try to close over the phone, and if not I'll pitch for an appointment to see how it all fits into their portfolio.

I will mix my day with your method and see how it goes.

[/quote]

I still have yet to read a post from someone who was glad they spent money on a list. Seems like everyone throws $300 out the window and never does it again. Spend 12 hours this weekend creating your own. Last weekend I googled "dentist __(my city, state)__" and made a spreadsheet with roughly 200 names and numbers. Left a few messages on the dentists' general office line, had a call back Monday morning from a guy practicing in a surrounding city (not even the city I was calling from!) wanting more info on the 5% tax free bond I briefly mentioned on his answering machine.

Efficient? Nope. Effective? Absolutely. Absolutely mind numbing but with some music and some cold beverages on a Saturday afternoon, it's not so bad. Do that every weekend and before you know it, you've saved thousands of dollars, and you end up with 5000 names/numbers far better than the ones you'd buy.

Mar 6, 2011 12:53 pm

Week 8

Well, the rest of my year in seminars has been planned out and I've decided to ignore the fake territory lines that exist in other Jones brokers and target prospects within a 15mile radius of my office.  Prior to this I had only went after people within my city limits.... no longer.  I expect alot of sideways glances at regional and other meetings but they've never wrote me a paycheck, offered me help, or even are doing seminars themselves so all is fair.

As for my week - wow do I need a vacation.  I realized last week that since I've started I've never really taken anytime off.  Sure two / three days here and there but never an entire week.  Need to resharpen the saw. 

Feb. results:

17650 gross

New Account bonus (which I share with my BOA)

Big week ahead.  Lots of appointments and an event I'm participating in at the end of the week.

.... AS FOR A LIST.  They work.  Buy a book called the four hour work week and you'll soon learn why you should not waste your time on crap you can pay someone else for.

Mar 6, 2011 3:41 pm

Super.. nice month and I applaud you for posting your results..

How much of your gross was due to new clients contacted in this month or last? Just curious..

Mar 6, 2011 8:23 pm

Keep it up Super!  I am enjoying the read.  I am about to start my own prospecting campaign so thanks for sharing the "good gas"!

Mar 7, 2011 2:54 pm

@ Squash - to be honest I'm not sure.  I wish I had better metrics to track this stuff but don't.  15k worth of commissions came from new business. 

Mar 7, 2011 4:40 pm

17k holy crap! You did double what I did!  congrats dude, I have no doubt in my mind you will succeed. 

Mar 7, 2011 5:50 pm

Just a quick update ... I've decided to impliment a points system into my daily activites.  I've done it before and it works for a little while so I figured why not. 

25 points per day

1 call = 1pt

New Prospect = 3pts

Appointment Set = 5pts

(one score from each points total is required before I leave)

I realize my points goal is laughable but you've got to start somewhere and I've been so lazy I want to meet my goal and then move up.   FIRST CALL - 25k Bond UIT order!!!  It'll never happen that way again but feel like bragging.  24 more points to go... cya!

Mar 8, 2011 3:38 pm

[quote=SuperMan]

Week 8

Well, the rest of my year in seminars has been planned out and I've decided to ignore the fake territory lines that exist in other Jones brokers and target prospects within a 15mile radius of my office.  Prior to this I had only went after people within my city limits.... no longer.  I expect alot of sideways glances at regional and other meetings but they've never wrote me a paycheck, offered me help, or even are doing seminars themselves so all is fair.

I would imagine the region penetration report would shut them up......0.75% shouldnt give anyone the right to look sideways at you...keep fighting!

As for my week - wow do I need a vacation.  I realized last week that since I've started I've never really taken anytime off.  Sure two / three days here and there but never an entire week.  Need to resharpen the saw. 

Feb. results:

17650 gross

New Account bonus (which I share with my BOA)

Big week ahead.  Lots of appointments and an event I'm participating in at the end of the week.

.... AS FOR A LIST.  They work.  Buy a book called the four hour work week and you'll soon learn why you should not waste your time on crap you can pay someone else for.

[/quote]

Mar 11, 2011 4:40 am

Cold calls are still effective nowadays.... though you will get a less percentage of prospects but at least you got a few from a hundred calls. :) great business log :-)

Mar 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Week 9

Landed a 400k client I've been working on since Sept. last night.  For those of you just starting out this could be a good lesson.  She has about 30k outside of her 401k and the rest locked up tight with her current 401k plan.  Since she is over 59 1/2 we did an inservice withdraw.  SWEET!   75k into a VA for lifetime income and the rest into advisory solutions.  Also sold some other stuff to exisiting clients - Just now doing my first real annual reviews with clients. 

As of yesterday we mailed out 1200 seminar invitations for my second seminar of the year.  I expect 20-25 people to attend.  I'll be prospecting all weekend at a local event - have a table and will be on my feet all weekend.  Just need 2-3 clients to make it worth it and that's usually not a problem.

My points system worked.... FOR TWO DAYS!  Vacation is planned very soon and damn am I ready to go.  All in all it was a good week that once again needed alot more activity.  There is a reason I'm not doing 25-30k per month and I'm looking at it in the mirror.

Mar 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Superman,

How long have you been in the business?  Also, what percentage of your monthly revenue is fee based recurring revenue vs one time commission? 

Mar 15, 2011 11:58 am

@TwoTwelve .. About two years.  31% of my book is fee based currently - plan to keep increasing that % and it's easier to do every month since I have a bit of a base under me.  Tough to build a fee based business at Jones since our salary only last 1 yr.

Mar 18, 2011 7:45 pm

SM,

You're right about building an advisory busienss.  It's the primary reason I left JOnes.  I could not build my advisory business and make a living at the same time.  In the last 6 months at Jones, I put like $4mm into AS, and my production sucked.  But Jones does not recognize assets gathered, only the production screen.

How are you getting people to attend your seminars?  Are they all cold invites?  Do you call to follow-up, or just mail and hope?

Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Week 10

I spent most of the week getting ready for a vacation but managed to squeeze a little business into the mix.  Ended up with one new client.  We fully funded husband and wife Roths for 2010/2011 - plus they are retiring at the end of April so there will be another 350k behind that. Also had some nice appointments that should yeild some good results for May. 

Our seminar next week is shaping up to be pretty good with 14 confirmed so far.  I expect to add another four before it's all said and done.  Our process is pretty simple.  We talk about seminars and events everytime we talk to a prospect.  We also cold mail.  I expect to send over 10,000 pieces of mail this year.  We mail about three weeks before the seminar and then if we are a week and half out with not enough confirmed we hit the phones. My family helps with stuffing the envelopes, etc. etc.  We buy a nice meal at a good place.  Seminars move people up the trust meter almost as fast as a referral.  Again, watch the videos on advisorcontrol.com and read some of the infomation here.  Good stuff.  Just have a process.  Mail like crazy and make it happen.

I'm logging off for the week!

Mar 21, 2011 5:11 pm
*duplicate post*
Apr 1, 2011 8:01 pm

Alright...  Week  11

I was on a div. trip with Edward Jones.  After catching up on my jet lag wow do I feel better.  I'm taking a week off every six months no matter what.. going forward.  As for the trip, it was terrific.  I've heard alot of bad things on here about them but mine was nice.  Didn't spend much time with the Jones people, did my own thing, and got to stay at a great place and see a new country.   Anyway, I really had the time to reflect on building my business and how to better serve my clients.  I did that on the plane ride home.  TGIF, I need some sleep!

Apr 4, 2011 1:51 am

[quote=SuperMan]

Alright...  Week  11

I was on a div. trip with Edward Jones.  After catching up on my jet lag wow do I feel better.  I'm taking a week off every six months no matter what.. going forward.  As for the trip, it was terrific.  I've heard alot of bad things on here about them but mine was nice.  Didn't spend much time with the Jones people, did my own thing, and got to stay at a great place and see a new country.   Anyway, I really had the time to reflect on building my business and how to better serve my clients.  I did that on the plane ride home.  TGIF, I need some sleep!

[/quote]

where did you go?

Apr 10, 2011 12:19 am

liar

Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

[quote=volt]liar[/quote]

great 1st post...welcome to the forums. it appears you will be a valuable member.

Apr 10, 2011 11:21 pm

great 32nd post dbag. my old name was voltmoie but I kept getting my password reset by those pricks at the other forum where people apparently still go. I have several hundred more posts than you. Besides the fact that this piker contradicts his own production lies within the same thread and beats his girlfriends, you keep looking up to him and drink up that kool aid bud.