Skip navigation

Ricky32478 Cold Call Journal (Advice Welcome, Negativity not)

or Register to post new content in the forum

121 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm

just wanted to update on my day.

1 no show

1 had to reschedule to due to work conflict.

I know days like this will happen. nothing to do but get up and bang out the phones again on monday. until then see you guys later hope all a great weekend.

Nov 15, 2010 3:02 am

That happens.... you have the right attitude though!

Nov 15, 2010 3:02 am

That happens.... you have the right attitude though!

Nov 17, 2010 6:58 pm

16 contacts yesteday.  I will post more numbers tonight.  I have an appointment so wish me luck. 

Nov 20, 2010 12:58 am

Hey guys,

I just had a great appointment closed about 90k in assets. first appointment and client also gave me referrals.

wish it was also this easy. but if it was everyone would want to be advisors have a great friday to all

also i have about 11 follow up from the only day i really had to call wednesday.

Nov 20, 2010 2:01 am

Im killing it.  Appointments are happening all the time now.  I just cold called a million dollar account.  I have the appointment on the 29th.  I also landed a client that does a WHOLE LOT of new issues business.  I am giving him as much as I can get and I am getting a great amount for a Trainee.  I got 5000 shares of GM this week :)

Nov 20, 2010 2:25 am

Yes, the icepick is bustin up the glacier. Ricky, you're awesome, I logged on at home just to tell you that. Enjoy your success this we, let the progress be like wind in your sails.

Nov 20, 2010 2:28 am

congrats Ricky, it's really encouraging and inspiring to read about your success!  What kind of leads are you working with?  Did you use Ref USA? or was it purchased?

Nov 20, 2010 2:08 pm

great week ricky, I love to hear success stories just keeps me going aswell, has anyone heard from westwood?

also I picked up two new accounts this week. feels great also some referrals. Enjoy your weekend guys.BFP you are truly amazing you should be a business coach. take care

Nov 23, 2010 1:42 am

Thank you guys.  Boy did I need that wind in my sail today.  I qualifed this appointment a month ago on my second day cold calling.  I qualified for 250+ but when I showed up today he only showed me a statemed for 40k I ask is that it and he said thats all he had to his name.  I polietly excused myself and told him my miniumin fees do not justify his asset level and I left.  I got make to the office and hit the phones like a mad man to replace that bad appointment.  I did!!!!!!! I schedule a 200,000 rollover appointment for december 1st.  I def qualified this one for sure

By the way.. 33 contact today.  Anyone on here familiar with syndicate business?  And hot deals coming out in december?  PM meet privately or discuss it on this forum.  Thanks~!

Nov 23, 2010 7:41 pm

So I'm new to the FA side of the business, I came from Oppenheimer funds wholesale side and recently joined a successful team as a junior.  My role is not exactly what I thought it was going to be, that’s fine with me I just need to shift gears and get moving.  Basically I was brought on to take over the bottom of a book, learn from my senior and go from there.  My actual role is more along the lines of I need to get 10mil under management in the next 12 months to keep my job.  My firm does not hire newbie’s and I got brought on strictly because my senior is the number 2 producer in the company.  So this means little systems to help someone from the ground up.  Now to my questions:

1.  I do not get lists of any sort provided to me, any suggestions on where to get those from?  If I am going to be making 150+ calls a day I need numbers.

2.  I do not have any internal compliance that helps with the DNC list, any suggestions on that.

3.  Finally any advice negative and positive is always appreciated.

Nov 24, 2010 4:32 am

[quote=ricky32478]

Hi this is rick from ________,

i;ll be brief with you,

the reason why I am calling today is your name came accross my desk as someone that is in a career tranistion and I wanted to let you know of a special offer my firm has for people in your exact situation.  Have you had a licensed financial advisor review your old 401k or IRA's in the last year?

[/quote]

You have to have a conversation with the prospect. If you come across as a salesperson rather than person, the flags go up. I know there are people who say that just to blurt out the pitch, but the problem is every Tom, Dick and Harry are doing the same thing. Differentiate yourself and talk to people. 

Nov 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Just a question on the resume calling.  Since you paid for the careerbuilder membership, do you still have to scrub the numbers against DNC lists or is it fair game since these are people who willingly put their contact information on the net?

Dec 1, 2010 10:00 pm

just read an interesting article about cold calling on resumes....

http://www.fiercefinance.com/story/morgan-stanley-broker-uses-jobs-site-cold-calls/2007-09-14

and this one....

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/sct/sctms2/ms2complaint.pdf

guess its a good thing you got away with it.

Dec 1, 2010 10:41 pm

Ricky...Ricky....Ricky...where is you..... your blog is waiting for you....

Dec 2, 2010 2:52 pm

I am back... Sorry I have been very busy.

I feel kind of down today.  Things are gong slow for me.  So far as of date, I only have 325,000 in the books right now.  I have about a million in the pipeline that I am meeting with.  (People that I have already sat down with and are in the 3 meeting process i.e discovery meeting, investment meeting, and mutual commitment meeting).  I schedule each meeting a week apartment from each other.  Am I doing this right?  I am pitching rollovers and managed money.  I know this works I just need a little support today!

I feel kind of down today.  Things are gong slow for me.  So far as of date, I only have 325,000 in the books right now.  I have about a million in the pipeline that I am meeting with.  (People that I have already sat down with and are in the 3 meeting process i.e discovery meeting, investment meeting, and mutual commitment meeting).  I schedule each meeting a week apartment from each other.  Am I doing this right?  I am pitching rollovers and managed money.  I know this works I just need a little support today!

p.s I have being doing this since 10/04/10

Dec 2, 2010 4:15 pm

I feel you ricky Im struggeling as well Im making 150+ calls a day and just not getting anywhere

who are you calling, where are you getting lists from?

I need some support as well, Im a 30yr old new new in an office of 2 senior succesfull brokers.  I thought I was brought on to help their book but before I can do that I need to raise 10 million it turns out, Im just really negative and need to get over it.  It just sucks being the only person calling, only person working past 4 and only person to work on Saturdays.  I feel like Im destined to fail...

Dec 2, 2010 4:38 pm

In this biz, you have got to be your own cheerleader.

Your colleagues, spouse, friends, cannot help you with this.

Ricky, I am a huge huge huge opponent of the multiple meeting approach.

A 75% free throw shooter that makes one attempt, will miss the basket only 25% of the time.

A 75% free throw shooter that make 3 attempts, will make a miss 60% of the time in those three attempts. 

Apply your logic, this multi step approach, to any major buying decision you have made in your life, and you'll see that you've possibly overcomplicated things.

Another important thing to consider, is that you must continue to balance your prospecting with the cultivation of your pipeline.

If you feel angry, negative, depressed, you must conquer those emotions before you continue your journey. That might mean taking a walk around the block, having a moment with significant other, going for a long car ride, talking the issue out with a friend. If your emotions are really bad, you take a few days off and decompress from your society. 

Wow, I'm supposed to disappear for 3-4 days when I"m struggling??!! You can't be serious!!! Yes, that is EXACTLY what you must/should do. Think about Tiger Woods... he should have taken an entire year off, disappeared, come back when he was ready. Instead, he pushed it, and made things worse on himself.

Clients can pick up on negativity, stress, pushiness, fear, etc. Your not doing yourself the least bit of good unless your mindset is right. When your brain is in the right place, the results and actions become easier.

Hope that helps.