Skip navigation

Ricky32478 Cold Call Journal (Advice Welcome, Negativity not)

or Register to post new content in the forum

121 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 5, 2010 6:46 pm

[quote=BigFirepower]

Ricky, and Westwood, I was thinking of both of you, wondering where you were.

To both of you, I'd strongly suggest that you change little or nothing to what you were doing. Ice pick into the glacier, it's working Ricky, don't CHANGE anything. KEEP POSTING like you were, it was an accountability thing, good for you.

[/quote]

BFP, still pluging away, just haven't had much time to post.  I feel like I have hit a wall these last couple of weeks and have really been feeling the pressure of being a failure.  I have been calling like crazy, but it just seems like the more dials I make the less people I talk too and the people I talk don't seem to be interested in what I'm saying.  I feel like I need to change something, but don't know what.  Another thing is the people that I initially spoke with that had some interest, I follow up and some of them act like we didn't have a conversation before or are just not interested anymore....I don't know, this is really tough...I just feel lost right now.

Nov 5, 2010 6:53 pm

Westwood, you should really buddy up with Ricky. You are both working hard, and need to learn from each others mistakes and successes. But, you MUST continue to daily post here, I'm convinced it is crucial to your success.

Westwood, I'd suggest that you ease up. Take 4 days off, disappear from the world. Family, work, friends, just disappear for a bit, sleep, relax, go for a long walk hike or two. If you do that, you'll clear your head, come back fighting hard. There is a reason why I said 4 days, not two, or three. It has to do with how our brains are wired.

I did exactly that back in late 2002 and the results were incredible. Not even my wife knew where I went for several days. All I did was eat, sleep, walk trails, and some beach hikes. Was like the unclenching of my fists, but only instead, I unclenched my brain. Didn't cost much money either. My gross went through the roof, calling was better, I had a plan... 

Nov 8, 2010 11:02 pm

just checking in guys.  I am so busy lately with follow ups, cold calls, rookie meetings.  I hope to close my second account on weds.  It is the third meeting I have with this couple.  256000 rollover.  Sorry for not posting more.  I will try to do more.  Always good to hear from you bigfirepower and westwood.

Nov 10, 2010 3:33 am

I kicked butt today.  I landed two appointments.  Wish me luck going on my third meeting for a 256,000 rollover.  I told him that this is the meeting we sign papers if he likes me idea.  I think its going to go threw.  I'll keep you guys posted.

By the way I will only post contact here now because I do not keep track of dials because I realized it does not matter how many times I dial the phone but how many people I talk to.  I think you can't fail if you talk to 25+ people today.

Today I was busy calling all the people that wanted to hear back from me so I only contacted 16 new people

Nov 10, 2010 5:21 pm

RIcky, you're starting to see the point of what you and many other new folks don't realize at the very beginning. You're input at first can only go to such a degree, that your follow up can handle. The lesson of that is "tempo", or pacing, whatever you want to call it. For any rep that is prospecting, there comes a point where you overdo it, and eventually in the pipeline you pay the price for it. It doesn't do any prospecter the least bit of good, when you create such a big pipeline, that you MUST QUIT MAKING NEW CALLS. The trouble with that is, you eventually go back to making calls, because your pipeline becomes drained. Leaving YOU...drained. Better to find the proper amount of calls, contacts, so that the activity is sustainable. Ricky, I think you're just about right when you say that having 25 conversations is the ideal number. A few years from now, it might be more like 20. An established rep I know, who is much like Bond Guy, had his target every day at 15 conversations per day. Good luck with the meeting Ricky!! 

Nov 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Ricky, I was wondering where you are getting the resumes.  I would love to try this myself.  I looked through this post to see if you mentioned it before but I didn't see it. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2010 4:14 am

big fire power you are awesome.  I want to keep in touch with you because I get encouragement from you.  Thank you very much.  I did not cold call today :( I don't cold call before an appointment because I don't want negativity or rejection to be in my mind at all before an appointment.  I closed the appointment for only half the amount :(.  I guess 125000 is better than nothing.  Im sure once they see my service I provide they will give me the rest. 

Nov 11, 2010 4:16 am

I also had 2 mortgage calls today and a new business account refferal (not cold call) so I really did not have any time to cold call today.  I will do it tommarrow.  I rewarded myself by leaving the office at 6 instead of 9 like I usually do.  I don't have any appointments tommarrow so I will hit the phones hard tommarrow.

By the way for the resumes I paid the 6000 grand it cost for a yearly membership to career builder.  It ain't cheap but I figured if I make an investment in myself it will payoff.

Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm

hey Ricky,

congrats on the 125k. half is better than none. just wanted to ask on what basis do you call. if possible whats your spiel when you do call.

Nov 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Ricky, I've found that as long as I get 50k to start, I'll eventually get the rest. I don't care if it is in 6 months, or 6 years. Ice pick on the glacier...

Nov 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi this is rick from ________,

i;ll be brief with you,

the reason why I am calling today is your name came accross my desk as someone that is in a career tranistion and I wanted to let you know of a special offer my firm has for people in your exact situation.  Have you had a licensed financial advisor review your old 401k or IRA's in the last year?

Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Ricky, try that again, incorporating ALL the essential elements of a good presentation.

brief (35 seconds or less), name recognition, sexy/safe, tangible benefit, free/special offer, sense of urgency.

You're missing a few. I think if you add the missing elements, you're going to dramatically increase your response rate. Ricky, MOTIVATE them...

Nov 11, 2010 8:29 pm

BFP,

Sexy/safe?  I don't think you're talking about health class so what is it that you mean?

Nov 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Safe = words like; insured, investment grade rating, etc... safety of principal.

Sexy = investment themes that are currently popular, invoke emotions of greed and capital appreciation.

Hello, Mr. Jones...this is Big Firepower, from Nuclear Securities, perhaps you've heard of me?

Regardless sir, the REASON for my call....

This week we are currently offering a Texas, Land of Fire Hospital, Municipal Bond that is AAA rated, pays 5% tax free interest.

Considering that banks are paying you zero to one percent interest, I thought this might be of interest to you?

Name recognition, 35 seconds or less, tangible rate of return, Safety, sense of urgency, special offer

Nov 11, 2010 10:52 pm

The training program I am in makes me push managed products.  I am trying to think of how to do this with what you are saying and I am having great dificulty.  Can I please have some help.  The muni bond script is not going to work because of a couple of reasons for me.  I am calling on 401k rollovers so it would not make sense to buy muni bonds in this account and I have to sell a certain amount of "annuitized products" to keep my job.  Please help me big firepower because I really like your pitch I just need help making it my own. 

Nov 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Ok, I know it's a bit more of a challenge, but you have got to take those points and package it the best you can. I've managed to sell bonds, funds, and va accounts using that format. Somehow, you put that together, and you'll see a meaningful increase "statistically meaningful results".

Hello, Mr. Jones...

This is Big FIrepower from Radioctive Asset Management, perhaps you've noticed my green glow from across town?

Regardless, the REASON for my call...

You've recently been sh#tcanned from your job, and you probably think you're doomed to working at McDonalds?

No, with me, you've got some hope...

If you'd like some income while you search for meaningful employment, and would like some control of your investment portfolio, I can help.

Compared to letting your old firm manage your life's savings, I'd hope that sounds good to you? Good, I thought so...

I'd like to offer you a free appointment to discuss how to utilize your former employers retirement plan in getting you back on your feet, and still find ways to save money for your eventual retirement. Do you have some time to meet next week at my office at Ground Zero?

Nov 11, 2010 11:31 pm

That is amazing..... you are the best I am going to incorperate that right now.  I got 2 hours more of calling.

Nov 12, 2010 12:40 am

36 contacts today :)

Nov 12, 2010 4:08 am

those are great outlines. I have 2 appointments tomorrow so wish me luck.

I will begin to post my results on monday

Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm

good luck man