Skip navigation

Comp Question-referring a large 401K, can I earn?

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Aug 9, 2009 11:40 am

Can someone “broker” the placement of a large 401K deal and receive compensation from the broker/dealer?

example…say I have the ability to direct or place a large 401K. I
interview several broker dealers and decide on three finalists. Can I
receive compensation to place the deal? Note, while I am licensed, I
will not be int he employ of a broker dealer. I will be acting on my

If I can be compensated, what is the typical fee arrangement? Up front 1-2 percent?

Aug 9, 2009 6:17 pm

If you aren't employed by a registered firm, I'm pretty sure that while you have a license it is inactive and you won't be able to receive anything for it.

Aug 10, 2009 2:23 am

You could only do it by receiving consulting fees from the employer. You could not receive anything from the providors.

Aug 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Thank you for the feedback.