Skip navigation

Can I provide such services for a fee?

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 26, 2019 12:49 am

At this time, I am still unlicensed. There is a person who wants me to provide certain services for him. And I want to know if that requires me to be licensed.

The works that he wants is basically researching. They are not advisory. For example, he would ask me to research on certain mutual funds and tell him the key data of their performance in the last two years. Or he would ask me to provide a list of mutual funds to him that are considered ‘sustainable funds’. Therefore, I will be providing any financial advice to him at all.

Is it legal for me to receive a fee from him by providing such services without an advisory license?

Nov 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Doesn’t sound like you’ll be doing any advisory work, but if they’re paying you illegally to work for them, that’s on them. You can always contact FINRA or SEC to find out…