Skip navigation

Series 63 and 65

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jan 7, 2018 3:08 am

Just read that if i do not register with an investment ompany within 2 years of taking the 63 series exam , i will loss the test result. .

My porblem is : I took the 63 sereis over a year ago,( November 2016) , and I am planning to take the 65 series this year 2018, but i am not planning to work in an investmnt company till 2019, which is away over the 2 years 63 allawnace .

Is there a way i can extend the 2 years allowance for the series 63 results , so do not have to take the 63 exam again ?

Thanks .

Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm

You should contact your state regulator.

Here is some information from NASAA's (North American Securities Administrators Associations) website:

How long is the validity period for an exam if I have not been registered?

Passing an exam is a prerequisite to a license, not a license in and of itself. To be licensed, other steps have to be followed, such as filing a Form U4, paying a state fee, and passing a background check.

Most states follow a rule for NASAA exams that is similar to the rule FINRA follows for its exams. When an individual first passes an exam, that person has two years to become licensed (registered) with a state or the exam expires. Once registered, the exam remains valid as long as the person stays registered. When a registered person’s job is terminated (usually reflected by the filing of a Form U5 by the employer), the state registration terminates as well. The individual then has two years to be re-employed and re-registered or the exam will be shown as “expired” in the Central Registration Depository (CRD).

In some instances, even though an exam is shown in a CRD record as having expired, a state has discretion to waive the requirement to re-take the exam. This is most frequently done when someone has remained working in the financial services industry, just not in a position requiring state registration (such as working on an exchange floor). The regulator in the jurisdiction in which licensing will be sought can provide information on waiver policies. Contact information for all state regulators is available on this site.