Skip navigation

Is it allowable for me to accept a fee by providing such services?

or Register to post new content in the forum



  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 26, 2019 1:01 am

At this time, I am still unlicensed. There is a person who wants me to provide certain services for him. And I want to know if that requires me to be licensed.

The works that he wants is basically researching. They are not advisory. For example, he would ask me to research on certain mutual funds and tell him the key data of their performance in the last two years. Or he would ask me to provide a list of mutual funds to him that are considered ‘sustainable funds’. The name of every mutual fund that I will look into will be provided by him. And all the information that I will provide to him after my research is objective results based on performance data of the funds on the internet. I will not give him any recommendation on any of the mutual funds. I will not say to him whether it is a ‘buy’, a ‘sell’, a ‘hold’, or whatsoever, Therefore, I will not be providing any financial advice to him at all.

Is it legal for me to receive a fee from him by providing such services without an advisory license?