Skip navigation

Exxon 1967?

or Register to post new content in the forum

33 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Feb 2, 2006 7:40 pm

A friend of the family recently died. She had 2500 shares of Exxon that were purchased back in 1967. Her CPA failed to keep accurate books. No cost basis was recorded. Does anyone know of a way to find this? Not even my Bloomberg dates before 1970. Thank you.

Feb 2, 2006 7:42 pm

goto your local library and it's all on microfilm.

some libraries now have their microfilm all transferred to an Intranet instead of using one of those clunky projectors.

scrim

Feb 2, 2006 7:46 pm

Forget the library....that is last century

Go to Big Charts and do an historical quote.  I have done this for estates and just take an average of the high and low for that day as the cost basis.  Usually it isn't much of a spread.  Big Charts will also give you the adjustment factor for the splits.  Very handy

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/default.asp?siteid=&ava tar=seen&dist=ctbc

Feb 2, 2006 7:48 pm

good luck with that research.

I just noticed if you had 100 shares of this stock in 1950 you now own atleast 19,200 shares if you never sold.

scrim

Feb 2, 2006 7:51 pm

A second thought on this since I didn't pay attention to the stock you were talking about.  You can also contact the current transfer agent and they may be able to help you with companies that have merged and morphed since the stock was bought.

Feb 2, 2006 7:52 pm

Tried Big Charts…1970 is the earliest. Thanks for the info though.

Feb 2, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for the impetus to take a trip down memory lane.

When doing some research on this topic I was reading the history of the company.

On 1/1/73 the former "Esso" changed their name to "Exxon".     I remember as a 5 year old asking my mom what happened to the Esso signs at the gas station.

Then I started asking about this whole Watergate thing that topped the news everyday cutting into my cartoon watching.

scrim

Feb 2, 2006 8:12 pm

[quote=AAA insured]

A friend of the family recently died. She had 2500 shares of Exxon that were purchased back in 1967. Her CPA failed to keep accurate books. No cost basis was recorded. Does anyone know of a way to find this? Not even my Bloomberg dates before 1970. Thank you.

[/quote]

Just a wild guess but over that time frame I bet you can darn near assume a cost basis per share in the pennies....

Feb 2, 2006 8:23 pm

Just found it…called Exxon. High for 12/12/67 was 64.625 Low of 63.75. Thanks for the help.

Feb 2, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm curious if she bought the 2500 shares in 1967 or after all the splits is it NOW 2500 shares.

I hope the former

scrim

Feb 2, 2006 8:31 pm

Thats w/o any split adjustments -

Feb 2, 2006 8:34 pm

[quote=scrim67]

On 1/1/73 the former "Esso" changed their name to "Exxon".     I remember as a 5 year old asking my mom what happened to the Esso signs at the gas station.[/quote]

Did she tell you? I just read a "useless fact" book that told the tale in detail...

Feb 2, 2006 8:58 pm

Nah,

She told me to stop asking so many questions and then took me to Carvel for a Lollapalooza.

j/k Mom

scrim

Feb 2, 2006 9:59 pm

Scrim,

Your mom reads the boards???

Hi Scrims mom!!! 

Feb 2, 2006 11:37 pm

[quote=AAA insured]

[/quote]

Why do you need to calculate the basis?

Feb 2, 2006 11:38 pm

[quote=BankFC]

Scrim,

Your mom reads the boards???

Hi Scrims mom!!! 

[/quote]

So does my mom.

Feb 3, 2006 12:11 am

Is that where you learned to be so polite?

Feb 3, 2006 12:21 am

[quote=dude]Is that where you learned to be so polite?[/quote]

I wasn't aware that I was polite. Please name an instance.

Feb 3, 2006 12:21 am

[quote=Dirk Diggler][quote=AAA insured]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point, Dirk.  Shouldn't there be a step up in value?

Feb 3, 2006 12:37 am

[quote=babbling looney][quote=Dirk Diggler][quote=AAA insured]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point, Dirk.  Shouldn't there be a step up in value?

[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he's a democrap and thinks the family should pay taxes on it. Either that or he's a total moron who should go back to stockbroker 101.