Skip navigation

Dow 12,000 - NEWBIE

or Register to post new content in the forum

168 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 20, 2006 5:56 pm

[quote=BankFC]

You weren't on CNN.com or Foxnews.com, you were here.  You were posting on an internet forum from which you cannot make yourself break away.  You are sadly addicted, and denial of your addiction is predictable.[/quote]

Actually I had been up since about five--read all my usual websites, checked the status of my account, read all the news items about the stocks I follow, and had Bloomberg TV going.

What time do you get up to stay on top of things?

Oct 20, 2006 6:08 pm

[quote=joedabrkr] [quote=mikebutler222][quote=Devil’sAdvocate]

What would you say the odds are that somebody could entrust you with $100,000 and walk away after twenty years having done no better than they would have done in a pass book savings account?

[/quote]

Eleventykabillion to 1. 

[/quote]

oh mike do you think that is funny to use the term "eleventy kabillion"?

(I do!)
[/quote]

I do, and your check for what you're due as copyright owner is in the mail...

Oct 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Let me ask you a few questions.

If I didn't look at a TV or a news website for an entire day, or even a week, do you think I could still perform my job adequately?

Is my job to regurgatate what the talking heads say each morning to my clients?  Is it to make a baseless prediction on which way one index or another is going to move?

Or is it to guide my clients to prudent long term investments based on what THEY TELL ME is what they want to accomplish as well as how much risk they wish to take in getting those things accomplished?

Should I change my means and methods everytime foreign country poses a threat?  How about every time there is a spinach or lettuce recall, should I make a change to something? 

I keep up with the news, but I has little to do with how I help people manage their own money. (Read this sentence carefully).

Oct 20, 2006 6:11 pm

As if there is any doubt, this above question is aimed at DA, although obviously anyone is free to respond.

Oct 20, 2006 6:19 pm

[quote=BankFC]

If I didn't look at a TV or a news website for an entire day, or even a week, do you think I could still perform my job adequately?

[/quote]

No I do not think you could perform your duties adequately.

I think the best thing about this career is how it is constantly changing.  Why do you think traders pay moment to moment attention to what is going on?  The other day, when Corey Litle flew his plane into the building, the market sold off 70 points in a matter of minutes.  That is because the traders have one eye on what they're trading and the other eye on the news.

I understand the difference between short term trading and investing--however, your clients will assume you're very well informed and you'll have zero credibility if you can't talk to them about current events.

Oct 20, 2006 6:21 pm

[quote=Devil’sAdvocate][quote=BankFC]

[/quote]

No I do not think you could perform your duties adequately.

I think the best thing about this career is how it is constantly changing.  Why do you think traders pay moment to moment attention to what is going on?  The other day, when Corey Litle flew his plane into the building, the market sold off 70 points in a matter of minutes.  That is because the traders have one eye on what they're trading and the other eye on the news.

[/quote]

Do you think what a retail broker in Atlanta does and what a floor trader on Wall Street does is the same job?  Do you think it should be performed the same way?

Oct 20, 2006 6:29 pm

[quote=BankFC]

Do you think what a retail broker in Atlanta does and what a floor trader on Wall Street does is the same job?  Do you think it should be performed the same way?[/quote]

Of course the two jobs cannot be performed the same way--however, both damn well better be staying on top of what is going on.

Are you trying to justify not being bright enough to pay attention?

Oct 20, 2006 6:37 pm

No, I am simply reinforcing the incorrectness of your assertion that being up at 5:00 am every looking at internet websites in beneficial in performing the duties of a retail financial advisor.

A general knowledge of world events is a good thing, and can easily be attained in 15 to 20 minutes a day, any time of day. 

You are losing this discussion (and losing it badly) so now you will stoop to insults...it is and always has been your final line of defense in debates on this board you cannot win.

Oct 20, 2006 6:41 pm

[quote=Devil’sAdvocate]

[/quote]

Are you trying to justify not being bright enough to use your time wisely?

I would suggest you not debate me on this one either, considering the amount of time you send on this board, the discussion would be over before it even would begin.

Oct 20, 2006 6:43 pm

[quote=Devil’sAdvocate]

[quote=BankFC]

Do you think what a retail broker in Atlanta does and what a floor trader on Wall Street does is the same job?  Do you think it should be performed the same way?[/quote]

Of course the two jobs cannot be performed the same way--however, both damn well better be staying on top of what is going on.

[/quote]

Once again Newbie Put Trader is proving that he literally has no clue.....
Oct 20, 2006 6:50 pm

[quote=BankFC]

If I didn't look at a TV or a news website for an entire day, or even a week, do you think I could still perform my job adequately? [/quote]

No.

[quote=BankFC]

Is my job to regurgatate what the talking heads say each morning to my clients?  Is it to make a baseless prediction on which way one index or another is going to move? [/quote]

No.

[quote=BankFC]Or is it to guide my clients to prudent long term investments based on what THEY TELL ME is what they want to accomplish as well as how much risk they wish to take in getting those things accomplished? [/quote]

The "or" in your question makes it a non-sequitar.

[quote=BankFC]

Should I change my means and methods everytime foreign country poses a threat?  How about every time there is a spinach or lettuce recall, should I make a change to something?  [/quote]

No. OTOH, part of your "means and methods" should consider the possibility of taking advantage of opportunities.

[quote=BankFC]

I keep up with the news, but I has little to do with how I help people manage their own money. (Read this sentence carefully).

[/quote]

You seem to believe that world events and the market have zero effects on your client's plans and/or their confidence in the ability of your plan to achieve intended goals. You also seem to think there's no room to adjust positions and take tactical advantage of situations.

Could it be because your business model forces you to ignore those things, since working with most accounts "once a year" as you told us, makes it impossible to take advantage of shorter term shifts and tactical opportunities?

Oct 20, 2006 6:50 pm

He truly doesn't...when he loses a discussion like this he won't admit defeat.  He will simply fade off into inumerable other threads.

He is a sad sack indeed.

Oct 20, 2006 6:51 pm

[quote=BankFC][quote=Devil’sAdvocate]

[/quote]

Are you trying to justify not being bright enough to use your time wisely?

I would suggest you not debate me on this one either, considering the amount of time you send on this board, the discussion would be over before it even would begin.

[/quote]

I am retired on a pension that throws off about $20,000 per month and have more other assets than I could spend in two lifetimes.  I've been there and done that already.

Who am I short changing by spending my time flipping back and forth between this forum and the flickering numbers?

Oct 20, 2006 6:54 pm

[quote=BankFC]

He truly doesn't...when he loses a discussion like this he won't admit defeat.  He will simply fade off into inumerable other threads.

He is a sad sack indeed.

[/quote]

Who does't what?

Oct 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Just yourself and the few unseasoned folks who come here seeking information (that those of us who COULD answer might), and yet their topic is hijacked by your dribble and rhetoric.

Oct 20, 2006 7:00 pm

[quote=BankFC]

Just yourself and the few unseasoned folks who come here seeking information (that those of us who COULD answer might), and yet their topic is hijacked by your dribble and rhetoric.

[/quote]

Poor baby, somebody points out that your wrong and you consider the thread to have been hijacked?

If one of the adults says something that hurts your feelings why not dispute the statement rather than whining about it?

Oct 20, 2006 7:10 pm

[quote=mikebutler222][quote=BankFC]

If I didn't look at a TV or a news website for an entire day, or even a week, do you think I could still perform my job adequately? [/quote]

No.

[quote=BankFC]

Is my job to regurgatate what the talking heads say each morning to my clients?  Is it to make a baseless prediction on which way one index or another is going to move? [/quote]

No.

[quote=BankFC]Or is it to guide my clients to prudent long term investments based on what THEY TELL ME is what they want to accomplish as well as how much risk they wish to take in getting those things accomplished? [/quote]

The "or" in your question makes it a non-sequitar.

[quote=BankFC]

Should I change my means and methods everytime foreign country poses a threat?  How about every time there is a spinach or lettuce recall, should I make a change to something?  [/quote]

No. OTOH, part of your "means and methods" should consider the possibility of taking advantage of opportunities.

[quote=BankFC]

[/quote]

You seem to believe that world events and the market have zero effects on your client's plans and/or their confidence in the ability of your plan to achieve intended goals. You also seem to think there's no room to adjust positions and take tactical advantage of situations.

Could it be because your business model forces you to ignore those things, since working with most accounts "once a year" as you told us, makes it impossible to take advantage of shorter term shifts and tactical opportunities?

[/quote]

Your "no" responses are baseless as you back them up with nothing, but since they support my point I really don't care.

As far as "taking advantage of opportunities," that's just a nice way of saying speculation.  Any speculation that will occur in my client's portfolios will occur within the mutual fund, VA sub-account, SMA, or other vehicle that has been allocated for such growth oriented goals.

I would greatly appreciate you to quote me where I have contended that I feel "world events or the market have no effect on your (my) client's plans..." 

I never said that, however I did debate the effectiveness of getting up at 5:00 am to read the news in order to be an effective advisor.  Care to debate that also?

My business model does not "force" me to ignore these things, rather it ELLIVIATES me from being FORCED to constantly watch these things. 

Also, please quote me as to where I told you I work with most accounts once a year.

If you are going to debate me, fine.  But to make FALSE statements is cowardly and childish.  If you can back the aforementioned statements up with quotes, I will agree with you. 

Otherwise I am calling your bluff.

Oct 20, 2006 7:11 pm

[quote=Devil’sAdvocate][quote=BankFC]

[/quote]

Poor baby, somebody points out that your wrong and you consider the thread to have been hijacked?

If one of the adults says something that hurts your feelings why not dispute the statement rather than whining about it?

[/quote]

See my previous quote about insults.  You just declared me superior to you, and your admiration is...cute, in a pathetic kind of way.

Oct 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Typical Gen X slacker--grasping for reasons to excuse profound ignorance.

Do you know who the Secretary of the Treasury is?

Oct 20, 2006 7:16 pm

According to Google, it is John W. Snow.