Skip navigation

Dow 8000

or Register to post new content in the forum

68 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 14, 2008 3:43 pm

LOL!

Oct 14, 2008 8:15 pm
Ferris Bueller:

[quote=anabuhabkuss]Maybe you should try a game of soccer

Read my post again.  I have played soccer.[/quote]   I was being sarcastic (implying that you haven't and I still think if you did, you're either exagerating about your experiences or have limited experience playing soccer). I don't know what "I have played" constitutes since there is no way on god's green earth anyone who's played a good deal of soccer hasn't ever had a few injuries.   Football is tactical. A play is made, pause, planning, and another plan is put together.   Soccer is very tactical itself but there aren't many pauses amidst a game keeping emotions and adrenaline running high at all times. As a result an elbow to the face and a kick to the shin is almost always expected. Except in this game, there isn't a helmet to protect you.
Oct 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Football is definitely a brute force type of game.  Soccer is a game of finesse, control, and stamina.  Just because they share the same name, doesn’t mean they share the same fan base.  The soccer crowd seems to be much more intelligent.

Oct 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Let get another perspective in this discussion.  What about rugby or Aussie rules football?  Not for the faint-hearted.

Oct 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I’ve actually been getting into the UFC cage fighting stuff.  I definitely watch it for the blood and broken bones…

Oct 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Hey ( from the Canadian perspective ) and from Northern States…I vote Hockey as a Man’s Sport. No " girly men " survive this sport.

Oct 20, 2008 9:17 pm
norway401:

Hey ( from the Canadian perspective ) and from Northern States…I vote Hockey as a Man’s Sport. No " girly men " survive this sport.

Actually, they do.   They're just faster than the rest of the goon defensemen.  Tony Twist (one of the biggest Blues goons ever) isn't ever going to catch Federov.  He might get a lucky shot in on a scramble for the puck along the boards on his end, but he'll never catch up to him to get him to drop the gloves.  Don't get me wrong, I'd agree with you.  I'd put even the most "girly" of the hockey players up against most tough guys anyday.  Sticks, frozen chunks of rubber flying at 100mph, sharpened steel skates, hitting, fighting, broken bones, missing teeth.  It's either next year's rendition of Mad Max or a Blues/Blackhawks game.  Where's my Brett Hull jersey?   I have also found myself watching UFC.  My wife thinks it's barbaric, which means that it's doing exactly what they intend it to do.  It all for shock value.  I heard one time that there are actually fewer brain injuries in UFC than in boxing.  Makes sense to me.  In UFC you take one good shot to the ol' noggin' and your down with the ref covering you cause you're defenseless.  In boxing you take shot after shot for 10+ rounds and never get knocked down.  It's no wonder those guys end up getting pushed around in wheelchairs with drool running down their chins when they're 55.  Brains aren't meant to be sloshed around like that. 
Oct 20, 2008 9:19 pm
iceco1d:

Ray Lewis vs Mario Lemieux…hmmm

I'd vote for Mario.  He wouldn't fight fair.  He'd pull Ray's trunks up over his head, push him down, and take wild swings at the back of his head.  All while trying to land little rabbit punches below the belt while the ref isn't watching.