Skip navigation

How Much is 100 Million?

or Register to post new content in the forum

33 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Aug 8, 2006 1:03 am

Let's talk about One Hundred Million Dollars.

How many $100,000 customers is that?  Answer 1,000.

If you close $100,000 per week it will take you 1,000 weeks to gather $100 million.  There are about 45 good weeks in a year--holidays and your own vacation will all but ruin the other 7 so you're going to need about twenty-two years to gather $100 million at $100,000 per week.

If the market goes down it will take longer, and if the market goes up it will take less time.

If no clients ever leave you, and their heirs don't either.

If you ever think this is an easy business go bang your head against a wall.

Aug 8, 2006 1:19 am

[quote=NASD Newbie]

If you close $100,000 per week it will take you 1,000 weeks to gather $100 million.  There are about 45 good weeks in a year--holidays and your own vacation will all but ruin the other 7 so you're going to need about twenty-two years to gather $100 million at $100,000 per week.

If the market goes down it will take longer, and if the market goes up it will take less time.

[/quote]

You are doing simple math for us now?  Whats the pooch taking a nap?

Your exit from this industry must have really damaged your psyche.

Aug 8, 2006 2:46 am

[quote=NASD Newbie]

[/quote]

if gathering assets was as linear as you project, then no one would need worry about whether IF they would get to $100 mil-- but since we know that it is not a linear process, let me help you pose a more interesting question:

-- what size is your biggest client?
-- break it out b/t private vs. institutional if you'd like.

me? i'm the new/small guy at the office:

$2.6 mil indiv. private- fee.
$12 mil institutional- bonds.
$1.9 mil 401k plan.

Aug 8, 2006 11:04 am

I don’t open accounts for $100,000.

Aug 8, 2006 12:28 pm

[quote=rightway]I don't open accounts for $100,000. [/quote]

Don't worry, if you keep at it you'll find somebody with that much.  Don't give up.

Aug 8, 2006 3:14 pm

Figure ten to fifteen years for someone consistantly bringing in six to eight million a year. The point is it can be done. That said, it's a long process fraught with pitfalls. Especially for the young and dumb who believe they're smarter than the market. And the deal jumpers who move from firm to firm. You can only blow out so many books and lose so many clients to moves before the used car lot starts to look like a better alternative. There are easier ways to make $100,000 a year. Which is where these people find themselves if they don't continue to build. They can't make the income that buiding a solid book over years can bring.

Aug 8, 2006 8:33 pm

[quote=NASD Newbie]

[quote=rightway]I don't open accounts for $100,000. [/quote]

Don't worry, if you keep at it you'll find somebody with that much.  Don't give up.

[/quote]

Newbie,

Why don't you spend your time productively and insult the other assorted sewer fungi munching trolls around here instead of the more respected posters........Oops, I forgot those are all your alter ego's.

Nevermind then.

Aug 8, 2006 8:35 pm

Wait a minute that could be quite entertaining.  On second thought go for it, it won’t be the first time you’ve had a meaningless conversation with yourself.

Aug 8, 2006 10:00 pm

If you’re bringing in 100K a week after a few years you better find a new career

Aug 8, 2006 10:02 pm

[quote=bankrep1]If you're bringing in 100K a week after a few years you better find a new career[/quote]

How many weeks have you been registered and what is your AUM total?

Aug 8, 2006 10:57 pm

Which is exactly why you should buy assets or inherit assets wherever possible.

Aug 8, 2006 11:00 pm

[quote=vbrainy]Which is exactly why you should buy assets or inherit assets wherever possible.[/quote]

How much would you pay for a $3 million dollar retirement account invested in intermediate term bonds and Dow types stocks?

Aug 9, 2006 3:02 am

NASD Newbie,

Why do you waste so much time and energy on us? nothing better to do? Go play with your dog and take your wife to the beauty palor, and then play with your wife and take your dog to the palor.  We really don't care.

Aug 9, 2006 3:31 am

[quote=compliancejerk]

NASD Newbie,

Why do you waste so much time and energy on us? nothing better to do? Go play with your dog and take your wife to the beauty palor, and then play with your wife and take your dog to the palor.  We really don't care.

[/quote]

nice emoticons!
<!-- var SymRealOnLoad; var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//–>

Aug 9, 2006 11:11 am

You should start by taking on any new client possible, regardless of
size.  The experience is worth far more than the
compensation.  However, as you get more experience, and your
business circles take you to more complex and larger prospects you have
to focus because the steaks
are higher and margin for error much smaller.  This means spending
less and less time on smaller relationships, and no time on smaller
prospects.

This is not a social statement, just business.  I never bought
into this until a several years back…but I have found it to be one of
the best decisions I have made.  My growth exploded when this,
among other decisions, was made.

Aug 9, 2006 11:58 am

Newbie,

I just started last week. I got a new axccount for 200K I was thinking about putting her into some 30 year bonds, what ya think? 100 will take me 8-10 years

Aug 9, 2006 12:04 pm

[quote=rightway]You should start by taking on any new client possible, regardless of size.  The experience is worth far more than the compensation.  However, as you get more experience, and your business circles take you to more complex and larger prospects you have to focus because the steaks are higher and margin for error much smaller.  This means spending less and less time on smaller relationships, and no time on smaller prospects.

This is not a social statement, just business.  I never bought into this until a several years back...but I have found it to be one of the best decisions I have made.  My growth exploded when this, among other decisions, was made.

[/quote]

The steaks are higher, you mean you switched from round steak to fillet?

Aug 9, 2006 12:06 pm

[quote=compliancejerk]

[/quote]

A lesson in message boarding.  When a moron writes palor instead of parlor once you might think it a typo--but when they do it twice you know they're an idiot.

Aug 9, 2006 12:53 pm

[quote=NASD Newbie][quote=compliancejerk]

[/quote]

A lesson in message boarding.  When a moron writes palor instead of parlor once you might think it a typo--but when they do it twice you know they're an idiot.

[/quote]

This commercial message brought to you by the grammar and spelling police......

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//–>

Aug 9, 2006 1:37 pm

[quote=joedabrkr] [quote=NASD Newbie][quote=compliancejerk]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This commercial message brought to you by the grammar and spelling police......

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//–> [/quote]

Nope, just a guy with standards.

Do you ignore your own mistakes?  If not, why are you willing to have lower standards for others?