Skip navigation

Dow 12,000 - NEWBIE

or Register to post new content in the forum

168 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jul 20, 2006 1:35 am

Newbie,

The comments big ben made today make me all the more confident in my call, the Dow will hit 12,000 before the end of the year!

Jul 20, 2006 1:17 pm

give him some time to respond....

i'm sure he's busy covering his A$$ after shorting the market the day before.

Jul 20, 2006 1:39 pm

[quote=TexasRep]

give him some time to respond....

i'm sure he's busy covering his A$$ after shorting the market the day before.

[/quote]

Short the market?  I ended net short GOOG on Tuesday, not the market.

Jul 20, 2006 6:48 pm

well that's working---

i thought in the thread where you and Bankrep1 were going at it, you were talking about shorting the market due to a very bearish bias........

Oct 4, 2006 1:08 am

Getting closer . . .

Oct 4, 2006 3:50 pm

Here’s my layman’s prediction:

The Dow will be above 12,000 on Election Day, but will be below 12,000 on New Year’s Day.

Disclaimer:  I am not a broker.  This is not advice.

Oct 5, 2006 8:01 pm

JC - do you believe that Oil prices will rise again after the elections?

You're making me nervous - like a Democrat in a good economy.

Oct 9, 2006 5:46 pm

[quote=apprentice]

JC - do you believe that Oil prices will rise again after the elections?

[/quote]

I’m probably one of the least qualified people on this board to make these predictions.  As long as everybody agrees that this is all in good fun:

Much of the decline in the price of oil is (according to rumors here in Houston) due to an unexpectedly uneventful hurricane season.

A lot of short term speculators were planning on a bad summer, so they took it in the shorts.  They’re leaving the market in droves, which is further driving down the price.

I think that oil is going to level off soon and become pretty boring, with the occasional scare from geopolitical factors.

Oct 13, 2006 4:29 pm

[quote=bankrep1]Newbie,

The comments big ben made today make me all the more confident in my call, the Dow will hit 12,000 before the end of the year!

[/quote]

Congrats on your call, made all the more special since it was made during a tough time and in the face of more senior people here talking about the strong possibility of bearish outcomes....

Oct 13, 2006 4:40 pm

I would agree.  Pretty bold statement, especially given the fact that it was made in July with six months left in the year.

Oct 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Damn fine work.  We still have a ways to go and nothing guarantees that the market won’t fall from here, but still…damn fine work.

Oct 13, 2006 7:29 pm

Has the Dow hit 12,000?

Oct 13, 2006 8:06 pm

11,960.51.  That’s close enough that you shouldn’t be smug about it.

Oct 13, 2006 8:16 pm

As the talking heads keep reminding us, twenty of the Dow thirty, have had a decent run.  But the broad market is not all that healthy, it's a cyclical rotation.

What's got me bamboozled is the churning going on in Google.  Just about everybody says that buying YouTube was a dumb idea, yet the stock won't go down.  Earnings due on Thursday--my upside breakeven is at 432 or so and I'm nervous as whore in church.  I suspect I'll chicken out and reduce my exposure on Wednesday or Thursday--but I keep telling myself you have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

How's your production Indy--up to 250,000 annualized?  Not bad for a guy who's been around for seventeen years.

Oct 13, 2006 8:32 pm

I won't touch GOOG with a ten-foot pole...too irrational to go long or short.  Valuation says it's ridiculously overpriced yet the disciples keep buying..'99 all over again for that one.

My production is good...how's retirement?  Have you started those paperclip chains for your Christmas tree yet?

Oct 13, 2006 9:04 pm

[quote=Indyone]11,960.51.  That's close enough that you shouldn't be smug about it.[/quote]

Agreed.  Especially since, like already mentioned, the prediction was made at a time when the markets were showing weakness.

Oct 13, 2006 9:10 pm

[quote=dude]

[quote=Indyone]11,960.51.  That's close enough that you shouldn't be smug about it.[/quote]

Agreed.  Especially since, like already mentioned, the prediction was made at a time when the markets were showing weakness.

[/quote]

If you think you can talk me into transfering my accounts to that bank kid you're wrong.

It was certainly a bold prediction--the Dow as at 11,500 and he said it would go to 12,000.  A regular maven.

Oct 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Soon 2 B Back,

You should transfer your accounts to the bank kid. 

Oct 13, 2006 10:05 pm

[quote=dude]

Soon 2 B Back,

You should transfer your accounts to the bank kid. 

[/quote]

So I could quadruple his AUM?

Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Sure.  You're a nice guy, why not?