Decoding the Deduction

What’s the right form to use for professional fees?

Given our current tax environment, more and more estate planning and administration professionals are diving (often times, reluctantly) into the abyss of the income tax world. One of the more frequent questions asked by attorneys, CPAs and other professionals during an estate administration is: “Where should we deduct professional fees (attorney, CPA, appraisal, etc.): on Form 706 or Form 1041?”  What seems like a simple question at first blush is often extremely complicated

All access premium subscription

Your subscription will include 12 months of Trusts & Estates magazine and access to premium content on

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.