Skip navigation

Deals as of October 2008

or Register to post new content in the forum

53 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 24, 2008 8:17 pm
Ferris Bueller:

[quote=SuperRecruiter] [quote=Morphius]
I bet you’ve never actually met, much less talked to, a real live senior vice president on Wall Street, have you?  I mean, excluding the 67 bazillion other senior VPs on Wall Street.  Disincluding them.
[/quote]

Everyone and their dog, on wallstreet, is a god damn VP.

My dog is a first vice president, so there![/quote]

And I bet s/he is more than qualified.
Oct 24, 2008 8:23 pm

[quote=Provocative Put]  I am in a school of
thought that believes that monied people tend to trust other monied
people when it comes to matters such as this.

There are obviously exceptions–a rich college guy who invests with his
fraternity brother without considering that the frat brother is not of
the same caste.[/quote]
Caste?!  Not of the same caste?!? 

What country are you from?  India?! 

[quote=Provocative Put] If you are not from the monied class in your town, if you don’t have
the rich friends, you can still make a damn attractive living because
there are a lot more people who are not the monied class.[/quote]
“Monied class?”  Which caste is THAT class part of? 

Putsy, you can produce more bulls**t in a few hours than most people take a year or more to churn out, if that.  Have you ever considered going into the fertilizer business? 

Oct 24, 2008 8:29 pm

[quote=Ferris Bueller]My dog is a first vice president, so there![/quote]
Yeah, but what caste is your first VP dog from?  And does he understand the dynamics of the parent child relations?  And does his sh*t still smell?  

Oct 24, 2008 8:58 pm

[quote=Provocative Put]

I also believe that unless your own parents have significant assets you cannot possibly grasp the dynamics of the parent child relationship.   You simply confirmed what I already knew--you really cannot identify with those of us with money because you have never been exposed to it.   The idiocy being spewed about my mother being failed because my brother and I did not force her to sell her holdings reveals the shallowness of your experience and qualifications.[/quote]

Perhaps your mother knew you two well enough that it caused her to seek financial wisdom elsewhere.  Maybe she felt that it was better to hang on to a portfolio of profitable dividend-paying, low basis stocks compared to engaging in exotic options strategies that look good on paper but don't work so well in the real wordl.

Hmmm....perhaps.

Oh, and my parents have assets of some consequence, and are clients, and we get along just fine.  It happened when my Dad came to me...I made it a point never to ask.  He started small and over the years I ended up with the whole enchilada.

So...let's dispense with that and move on to your next ridiculuous blanket statement.
Oct 24, 2008 9:35 pm

[quote=HymanRoth]

Perhaps your mother knew you two well
enough that it caused her to seek financial wisdom elsewhere. 
Maybe she felt that it was better to hang on to a portfolio of
profitable dividend-paying, low basis stocks compared to engaging in
exotic options strategies that look good on paper but don’t work so
well in the real wordl.

Hmmm…perhaps.

Oh, and my
parents have assets of some consequence, and are clients, and we get
along just fine.  It happened when my Dad came to me…I made it a
point never to ask.  He started small and over the years I ended
up with the whole enchilada.

So…let’s dispense with that and move on to your next ridiculuous blanket statement.

[/quote]

The whole enchilada?  What’s that about 1.99 at Taco Bell?

From where I sit it is not possible for some punk’s father to open an
account with him and “start small” and end up with very much.

Whole enchiladas are built over generations, years and years of dividend reinvesting and just leaving it alone.

By the way, what about you and your little life and career entitles you
to talk about my brother like youj did at your lead in?  What part
of he rose to the presidency of a bank, collected millions when it was
sold, waited out the non-compete, and then started a new bank that he
and his buddies will grow and sell?

Oct 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Too many funny posts in this thread to even comment on…but I did want to comment from a post waaaaay back at the beginning.  Put opined on the coming arbitration wasteland and was kind enough to feel bad that I might be a part of it.  While I appreciate the sentiment, I feel fairly secure that I’ll avoid at least most of that mess, despite the fact that it may not have yet begun to hit the fan.

First of all, I went through the last bear, which dropped by about the same amount (at least thus far) that this one has and received not the first threat of arbitration from any client.  Most of those folks are with me today and yes, we've certainly changed the way we invest for some of them, based on their distaste from the last bear.  Most of my big clients have at least a significant part of their portfolios in fixed income, which for the most part, has fared considerably better than the stock market.  For those with significant equity stakes that haven't been held for a long time, we are taking losses and re-deploying the proceeds...for the most part, right back into the stock market.   It's times like this that I appreciate living here in Bumphuck, as most Bumphuckians have never considered suing their advisor when the market runs against them.  None of our local attorneys have shown any interest in such actions and I'm hopeful that Mr. Mass Tort Lawyer from the Big City keeps busy working over the Merrill, Morgan and Smith Barney brokers in the Big City that present a far larger target than little ol' Indyone.  For certain, LPL makes sure that I keep my E&O policy current and I'm hopeful it's never needed.  We could get a rash of such suits, but personally, I'm more inclined to believe that if such suits come, they will probably be first directed at the considerably larger Edward Jones contingent here in Bumphuck, who have seen fit to sell a ton of Lehman Bros. and long-term GM, Ford Motor Credit and GMAC bonds to 80-year-old ladies over the past decade.  Many of those dogs I see today are STILL 10-20 years from maturity...and the price?  Yikes.  For the record, my last automaker bond (Ford) matured 10/20/2008 and that money is safely tucked in the client's account.  The worst bonds on my books right now are some leveraged closed-end muni funds.  The rest of my bond portfolio is almost exclusively Munis and CDs of no more than 10 years from maturity.  I didn't escape whole, but I'm at least sleeping at night.   You may not agree with Put (I often don't), but the threads are a hell of a lot more interesting these days...   Have a good evening all...the daughter is at a sleepover and I've got dinner and a movie with the Mrs.
Oct 24, 2008 9:56 pm
Provocative Put:

[quote=HymanRoth]

Perhaps your mother knew you two well
enough that it caused her to seek financial wisdom elsewhere. 
Maybe she felt that it was better to hang on to a portfolio of
profitable dividend-paying, low basis stocks compared to engaging in
exotic options strategies that look good on paper but don’t work so
well in the real wordl.

Hmmm…perhaps.

Oh, and my
parents have assets of some consequence, and are clients, and we get
along just fine.  It happened when my Dad came to me…I made it a
point never to ask.  He started small and over the years I ended
up with the whole enchilada.

So…let’s dispense with that and move on to your next ridiculuous blanket statement.

[/quote]

The whole enchilada?  What’s that about 1.99 at Taco Bell?

From where I sit it is not possible for some punk’s father to open an
account with him and “start small” and end up with very much.
It is when you continue transferring in more assets over the years and get some good investment advice.

Whole enchiladas are built over generations, years and years of dividend reinvesting and just leaving it alone.

By the way, what about you and your little life and career entitles you
to talk about my brother like youj did at your lead in?  What part
of he rose to the presidency of a bank, collected millions when it was
sold, waited out the non-compete, and then started a new bank that he
and his buddies will grow and sell?
There you go with more blanket statements.  Becoming President of a bank and collecting millions of dollars shows that you know how to run a bank(and play politics well enough to rise up through the ranks).  It doesn’t mean you know anything when it comes to providing sage investment advice.  There is plenty of evidence of that lately.  I suggest you use google to search for “Kerry Killinger” or “Ken Thompson” for enlightenment.

Oh, and I am entitled because I have a username on this board.  Just like you are.

Oct 24, 2008 10:01 pm

[quote=Provocative Put] From where I sit it is not possible for some punk’s father to open an
account with him and “start small” and end up with very much.[/quote]
The guy who is so enamored of family wealth, suddenly finds it “not possible” for someone else’s Dad to have assets worth “very much?” Or to invest well over time?  I guess only you and your Mommy can do that.

[quote=Provocative Put]Whole enchiladas are built over generations, years and years of dividend reinvesting and just leaving it alone.[/quote]
Yeah.  Just look at Bill Gates.  And Warren Buffet.  Larry Ellison.  Etc.  Billionaires all, well known for inheriting their wealth or growing it slowly through many, many years of  dividend reinvesting.   Not a self-made man among them.  

And if you really believe that money is built wealth over time through dividend reinvestment, why is it “impossible” that Hyman Roth did that with his Dad’s money?  Hard to have it both ways, isn’t it? 

Putsy, do you get motion sickness just trying to keep straight your constantly changing and contradictory pronouncements?

We await with baited breath your next round of wisdom on building wealth that has no basis in reality.

Oct 24, 2008 10:10 pm

[quote=Morphius]

And if you really believe that money is built wealth over time
through dividend reinvestment, why is it “impossible” that Hyman Roth
did that with his Dad’s money?  Hard to have it both ways, isn’t
it? 

Putsy, do you get motion sickness just trying to keep straight your constantly changing and contradictory pronouncements?

We await with baited breath your next round of wisdom on building wealth that has no basis in reality.

[/quote]

Baited breath is difficult to deal with, you could start with something like Tic Tacs, but you’ll probably need more.

Tell me, do you really believe that a father with a punk son who
becomes a broker can “start small” and grow it to a "Big Enchilada"
while his punk son is still a punk?  Or would it take more than
three or four years?

Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm

[quote=Provocative Put]

[quote=Morphius]

And if you really believe that money is built wealth over time
through dividend reinvestment, why is it “impossible” that Hyman Roth
did that with his Dad’s money?  Hard to have it both ways, isn’t
it? 

[/quote]

Baited breath is difficult to deal with, you could start with something like Tic Tacs, but you’ll probably need more.

Tell me, do you really believe that a father with a punk son who
three or four years?

[/quote]

What entitles you to talk about me that way?

For all you know, in real life I could be a bank president collecting millions of dollars.

Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

[quote=Provocative Put]Tell me, do you really believe that a father with a punk son who
three or four years?

[/quote]
Your reading comprehension is failing you again.  Go back and you will see Hyman clearly said (1) that what grew was how much his father chose to move to him, and (2) that this took place “over the years.”  You are the one who simply made up out of thin air the idea of a “punk son” growing a static portfolio dramatically over "three or four years."

Why stop there with your fictionizing?

All the absurd and contradictory statements you have made and been called out on you don’t even attempt to answer.  Instead you make up stupid stuff like this.

Why is that, Putsy?

Oct 25, 2008 1:47 am

[quote=liquid]

....PLEASE tell me you've had a vasectomy![/quote]

This is the funniest post i have ever seen. I cant stop laughing, literally, as i write this.

Also, why are we spending so much time talking about Putsy's family? After all, he's a branch admin, not U.S. President!!

Hopefully a branch admin whose had a Vasectomy

Sorry guys, i just cant help it - i'm still cracking up.

Oct 25, 2008 4:40 am

Put,

Nobody on this or any of the other threads has any interest in what you have to say.  Have you thought of finding another hobby besides making an ah of yourself on this site.  Gotta love these internet jack offs that would never say any of the things to anyones face.