Can't Accept EJ Offer Yet

or Register to post new content in the forum

11 RepliesJump to last post

 

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jan 23, 2011 12:36 am

I am exploring a number of career options and I am worried that the EJ offer will come before any others.  I realize they give 5  days to respond.  What options do I have?  I want to be able to weigh everthing before jumping into the EJ life.

Jan 23, 2011 12:51 am

If you can prospect, then spend next week asking the indy advisors for 15 minutes of their time and tell them how you can make things work.

If you can't prospect look for a bank/credit union position.

Stay away from EJ unless they have an open office of ~25mm or more and you can/love to prospect.

Jan 23, 2011 9:25 am

Thats a good call N.D.  How do I keep the EJ offer open while I am exploring these other options?  I have to get back to them in 5 days.  The process moved a little faster than I expected.  I like EJ and the regions I am surrounded by, but I owe it to myself and familiy to weigh all the options.

Jan 23, 2011 9:54 am

They have training programs that start monthly I believe. Just tell them you accept the offer but can't start the training program until after (fill in the blank). EJ was net one advisor last year I believe so they are eager to get the pipeline filled up. Even if you don't accept the offer, I would say they will extend it again if you have a good reason for waiting.

Jan 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I still wonder how willing EJ would be if I told them I need more time....You are right that I need to have a pretty good reason to delay.

Jan 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I agree with N.D. 

Start prospecting Indy firms. I just recently did this and now I'm in the process of negotiating a deal with an Indy firm that I would never get at a major wire. You never know what you might come up on. Also, what is your situation if I may ask. Why is Ej attractive to you? Are you enticed by the "salary" for however many months EJ offers it? Do you have a college education? Sales background? 

Jan 25, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote=DTA]

I agree with N.D. 

Start prospecting Indy firms. I just recently did this and now I'm in the process of negotiating a deal with an Indy firm that I would never get at a major wire. You never know what you might come up on. Also, what is your situation if I may ask. Why is Ej attractive to you? Are you enticed by the "salary" for however many months EJ offers it? Do you have a college education? Sales background? 

[/quote]

EJ doesn't require either do they?

Jan 26, 2011 11:18 am

When you say you are exploring "career" options, I assume you mean that amongst your search, are unrelated fields on industry. If so, I can just about tell you with 99% certainty, that being a Registered Rep is probably not for you. The failure rate in this business these days is so high, that it really requires a special person, in an especially good opportunity, with an incredible amount of conviction to even keep their job for the first 36 months, let alone be "successful". Not trying to be rude or assumptive, just giving you the facts.

Jan 26, 2011 12:25 pm

[quote=BigFirepower]

When you say you are exploring "career" options, I assume you mean that amongst your search, are unrelated fields on industry. If so, I can just about tell you with 99% certainty, that being a Registered Rep is probably not for you. The failure rate in this business these days is so high, that it really requires a special person, in an especially good opportunity, with an incredible amount of conviction to even keep their job for the first 36 months, let alone be "successful". Not trying to be rude or assumptive, just giving you the facts.

[/quote]

Not rude at all....I appreciate the candor.  I have been a registered rep for over 10 years but not on the FA side of the business.  I can't say I know what the challenges are first hand but certainly have been able to appreciate what you all do from my side of the business.  It would be silly of me to assume I wont get my head kicked in for the first 3-5 if I make it that long.  I have to assume I will make it or you will never get to the start line.  So I am going in with my eyes wide open. 

 I have some other industry leads that I am keeping hot as well as other firms that would be an FA position.  I am pretty sure those will take a bit longer to shake out but I feel pretty positive about them.  The EJ option just might be moving the quickest.  My thought is to just be upfront and ask for more time in the even I get an offer.  If they arent cool with that then I have my decision. 

Jan 26, 2011 12:41 pm

You sound like a pretty smart guy. I was in a similar position back in 1992, and I am glad that I held out for the right thing, instead of the first thing that popped up. Have faith, work hard at finding a really good job/career, and it will happen. Best wishes to you.

Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

I did the EJ dance before landing elsewhere. 

I accepted their offer and they gave me a start date.  Then, something better came up and I needed a little time to make sure it was real.  I asked if I could start later, and they said that I could delay one month, but any longer than that and I'd have to go through the process again.

The better opportunity came to be and I politely informed them of my decision not to pursue their opportunity.