Skip navigation

Dow 8000

or Register to post new content in the forum

68 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 9, 2008 9:44 pm

"However, I do believe we will come out of this someday… I just don’t know when."

These aRe the exact words that i have used in talking to my clients, i don’t know what else to say. I have done the right thing for my clients, every one of them. And some of them are screwed anyway.
There is no answer but to say, i don.t know when, but eventually everything will be fine.

Hopefully, the pessimism permeating the boards here is a good sign that we are almost there. I th0ought that 2000 Dow points ago.

Oct 9, 2008 9:57 pm

Didn’t they just remove some shortselling limits yesterday? Market held out pretty well most of the day. Do you thing sb made $ today. I’d be worried about short covers, and market timing, and having the insight and gumption to be back in.

Oct 9, 2008 10:12 pm

It's a great time to put money in the markets.  I'm not a huge Buffet fan, but I believe in the saying:

"Be Fearful when others are Greedy, and be Greedy when others are Fearful."    People (and some of the brokers on this board) are peeing in their pants right now. I'm not calling a bottom, I'm just saying that in five years you'll be glad you put the money in.   And, in 30 years, you can tell your grandkids that you invested in the Dow when it was under 9,000.
Oct 10, 2008 1:32 am

Everybody wants and thinks that is going to be over and day now…Look
back at the stock market history and in particular, 1972-1974.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market_crash…

Could
we lose 45-75% from the top? Completely possible. Look at Asia tonight
down 10% in one session. Were the circumstance of those years as dire
as the current crisis? This could get alot worse.

London stock exchange particularly took it on the chin…down 73%…Does this sound familiar???

Worse
was the effect in the United Kingdom, and particularly on the London
Stock Exchange’s FT 30, which lost 73% of its value during the
crash.[4] From a position of 5.1% real GDP growth in 1972, the UK went
into recession in 1974, with GDP falling by 1.1%.[1] At the time, the
UK’s property market was going through a major crisis, and a secondary
banking crisis forced the Bank of England to bail out a number of
lenders.[5] In the United Kingdom, the crash ended after the rent
freeze was lifted on 19 December 1974, allowing a readjustment of
property prices; over the following year, stock prices rose by 150%.[5]
However, unlike in the United States, inflation continued to rise, to
25% in 1975, giving way to the era of stagflation..

Oct 10, 2008 1:12 pm

I don’t hate you Ice, I think you’re a funny dude.  It was kinda low of you to wish me back to Jones, that did hurt. 

It amazes me how much you post...and I'm not kidding.  Are you really taking care of your clients...I bet they'd love to know your on here so much.   The whole name on the door has been my life, girlfriend.  Having bought and sold many businesses, restaurants, Ag/Turf Eq Mfg, Restaurant Supply Co, this is what I do.  I build wealth personally and for my clients and partnerships.  I knew at an early age I would make my own way, not on the coattails of others.  I have a hard time thinking someone who owned a business at 22, and from your posts a successful one, would go work for someone else.  (I know I did when I went to Jones, biggest mistake of my life).    Actually I'm in my 30's, but with a whisper of my grey hair, I look older.  Helps in this biz.  Let me give you a little help with business startup 101...you could rent your building, let the landlord worry about the roof.  Split an assistant or heck...in todays world with technology, you could do it yourself...so no employees.  Not sure why you need patents or copyrights at this early stage, unless your Ben Graham or you have a new super way to ride the market down to 8k. 
Oct 10, 2008 3:40 pm

So how is that stress-free life working out right now?

Oct 11, 2008 4:52 am

Tech analysis sucks.  Market broke into a negative trend on 1/4/2008.  Clients complaining about being down 8% this year… until I remind them they were up 11% last year, net postive return, market down 35% 01/01/2007-today.  On second thought this doesn’t suck so much.

Oct 11, 2008 5:13 am

Didn’t feel like posting in multiple threads.  Berrian sucks.  He will play, but the Vikes will pass all of 8 times as All-Day runs for 225 yds.

Oct 11, 2008 5:28 am

Just keepin it real brotha!!!

Oct 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Football is a game for “men” who secretly wanted to wear their moms’ shoulder pads when they were kids and wish to slap other mens’ butts.

FOOTball (soccer) is a real man's game. *runs away flailing like a little girl*
Oct 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Maybe you should try a game of soccer

Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Real men play squash.

Oct 13, 2008 9:45 pm

I’m not a huge football fan (I’ve been to one college game in my life and zero professional games), but I love soccer.  There are technical aspects to each that make either of them great fun to watch if you understand the game, but give me a soccer game anyday over a football game.  There’s nothing like a Man Utd vs Chelsea game.  90,000 fans in one stadium that will cheer, chant, hoot and holler (well, I’m not sure the Brits hoot or holler), for a game where there might not be any goals scored.  There’s not a game that is more globally accepted than soccer, football, or futbol for the Bundesliga fans out there. 

And  just remember, those soccer guys are taking those tackles and challenges with only shin pads on.  If someone doesn't crack a skull open during any given soccer game, the midfielders haven't been doing their job. 
Oct 13, 2008 10:26 pm

To get this post on track:

Who thinks this was a temporary rally?  I think some chart readers see us going up a little more before we have another drop and touch the low 8000's again. That would then be the bottom, and we would slowly climb out from there.  We'll see.
Oct 13, 2008 10:28 pm

To get the post off track:

Everyone knows that the only real man's sport is Baseball. There are no ties in baseball. Any sport that accepts ties is a wuss sport. I thought everyone knew that.
Oct 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, everyone still standing here must be pretty tough. There's gotta be some market bounces, but with all of the government stimulation, even a primate could make money grabbing some (private) equity ownership - public stocks -  at reduced prices.

Oct 14, 2008 2:39 am

[quote=now_indy]To get the post off track:

Everyone knows that the only real man's sport is Baseball. There are no ties in baseball. Any sport that accepts ties is a wuss sport. I thought everyone knew that. [/quote]

yah...I guess...if you enjoy watching paint dry then baseball is a real manly game....
Oct 14, 2008 2:41 am

[quote=iceco1d][quote=Spaceman Spiff]

And  just remember, those soccer guys are taking those tackles and challenges with only shin pads on.  If someone doesn't crack a skull open during any given soccer game, the midfielders haven't been doing their job.  [/quote]   If football games were played with much less padding, players would die and be left paralyzed on a weekly basis.  [/quote]

So what you're saying is that all this modern-day safety equipment is actually impeding the process of natural selection?
Oct 14, 2008 3:30 am

[quote=Ferris Bueller] [quote=HymanRoth]

[quote=now_indy]To get the post off track:

Everyone knows that the only real man’s sport is Baseball. There are no ties in baseball. Any sport that accepts ties is a wuss sport. I thought everyone knew that. [/quote]yah…I guess…if you enjoy watching paint dry then baseball is a real manly game…[/quote]

The ONLY way to enjoy a baseball game is to have 1 beer per inning. Otherwise, don’t bother.[/quote]

Agreed.

Even better if you can get seats with a good view of the foul-ball girls.  Now you’re talking a good baseball game…
Oct 14, 2008 12:10 pm

Baseball could be interesting if they would only allow a rule change for fan participation…

The guys would kiss the gals on the strikes; the gals would kiss the guys on the balls.