Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 21, 2010 1:31 pm

gethardgetraw,

Do you set a minimum with your prospects?

Dec 21, 2010 7:15 pm

GHGR, hasn't posted in some time. Either he's hunkering down and working hard, or something happened. Hope he's ok, he certainly had the fighting spirit.  

Jan 2, 2011 9:20 pm

Hope he comes back!

Jan 9, 2011 12:46 am

working hard

Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

just cant quit

salary elsewhere, viewed as a salesman, $0 days, hung up on, lonely, no one from top respects you (they shouldn't, yet): all reasons to quit. take the $40k/year job. no more stress.

just cant quit

then

superstar. that is what you are.

ferrari in driveway.

the general public is retarded. can't be sensitive. they will hang up on you. you are a salesman. thank god you are.

60 hour work weeks. $40k/yr. can't golf with buddies on tuesday at 2pm. you have to work. $40k/year. but at least you have steady paychecks. you've got that.

salary job "IM AN ANALYST AT A BANK HURRRR EXCEL FACT CHECKING"

call a millionaire. $80k day (this has not happened to me, yet). "yeah but that hardly ever happens." really think that won't happen at least once every 2 years calling 200 numbers of wealthy people every day? if that's all that happened, you're still even with the $40k/yr salary. you call, it happens, you leave and cigar and golf.

friends ask me about vacation days. what? let's go golf, i'll let me assistant know i'm leaving early. i'll let her know.

just cant quit

$30/hr? want an hourly rate job? ouch

what do you do? "i'm a stockbroker." don't care how old you are, people still light up when they hear that. it will never lose its appeal.

just cant quit

Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm

top professions: doctors, attorneys, brokers

health, law, money

think about hours, stress, involvement, colleagues. tell me broker isnt best.

open account w bonds. everything else in wrap. play money: stocks, commidities, futures, gold, silver, nickel, copper, artitrary metal, 403b's, 401k's, 529's, IRA's, "financial planning" (whatever that is), insurance, annuities. big money wants tax free bonds. rollovers into mutual funds inside wrap. "hello alsjdfhsldjkfh would you like to make a $5k contribution to your IRA." worthless. "we've got 5% tax free, insured. thats 8% to you." "how much is left? $2.mm?can i buy it all?" heard this several times. you want to be successful? thats successful. want to be a "full service financial advisor"? open $5k IRAs and door knock business for 401ks. set up 529 with grandma. go hand out refrigerator magnets with you name on them. be a full service financial advisor. be well liked in your community. have 800 clients avg hh account 30k. all with magnets with your name.  30 min phone convos about where to invest $2k

stay conservative. dont shoot for best returns. no one wants to lose money. thats it. beat the banks. tell me broker isnt best profession. regardless of firm. no one else has this. its insane.

just cant quit. simply cannot stress this enough.

Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

GHGR, lady stumbles into our office last week. Thought we could help in real estate, a mortgage. So, we say "no, we are investors of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds". So lady says to us (black lady with N. Carolina accent) "you mean people buy that stuff still?"

We had a good old laugh at that.

Defy the times, defy the odds, just say "F#$% it, I'm a stock broker for life, good or bad"

Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am

stay conservative. dont shoot for best returns. no one wants to lose money. thats it. beat the banks. tell me broker isnt best profession. regardless of firm. no one else has this. its insane.

It's still stressful. The guy is over painting my new office (real light tannish color) - I tell the guy my last office of ten years is supposed to be a happy color (light yellowish).

Painter says, no, yellow is stressful. It's a really stressful color, what do you do for living?

Jan 12, 2011 3:54 am

[quote=BigFirepower]

GHGR, lady stumbles into our office last week. Thought we could help in real estate, a mortgage. So, we say "no, we are investors of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds". So lady says to us (black lady with N. Carolina accent) "you mean people buy that stuff still?"

We had a good old laugh at that.

Defy the times, defy the odds, just say "F#$% it, I'm a stock broker for life, good or bad"

[/quote]

I am still trying to figure out why you felt the need to highlight the skin color of someone that came in to your office...but I really can't come up with a good reason.

Jan 12, 2011 8:47 am

It wasn't just someone, it was a black woman from North Carolina stumbling in unexpectedly and calling them out on their own turf about the wisdom of buying stocks.

Maybe more detail would reveal they are the Cohen brothers running a boiler room out of frozen snowey Fargo in the middle of the winter. Then it's black (Black) humor.

Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm

From his description, it looked like whoever came in to his office thought it was one thing, and it turned out to be something different than she thought.  Unless I read that incorrectly, i don't see where she "CALLED them out on their own turf about the wisdom of buying stocks"...but feel free to spin it in whatever manner bolsters your arguement.  I simply asked a question and your response is, well..typical. 

Jan 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Actually, Stone, your responce and question is typical. I think we can infer by your question and avitar you are a black man.  Don't hijack a thread to press your agenda.  As a black man I am embrassed by young brothers like you.

Jan 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Black..ha ha.  That is REALLY funny.  My children would beg to differ.  I am as white as the snow sitting on the ground outside of my office window.  As for the Avatar, wrong again.  The avatar is something one of my soliders came up with when we were one of the first on the ground in Iraq.   It has special meeting that you simply would not understand based on what we went through.

So, SuperMan, you need to be embarrassed for yourself because you have basically displayed how completely out of touch you really are.  Your assumption is so far off base that it isn't even funny.  Actually it is funny.  Oh, and the "young brother" comment, wait until I show my wife that one.  She is REALLY going to get a kick out of that.  Here is a hint.  I already collect a full military pension dumbass!  

Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm

GHGR,

I apologize for screwing up your thread...there was not planned agenda on my part.  I am sure it has been helpful to many others, myself included, and I will not make any further posts in your thread.  Again, sorry for the trouble and keep up the good work.

Jan 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Here's something funny: a naive snow white man defends that avatar while calling attention to race; disses a black brother while waving the red, white and blue.

"Thanks for your service." You're welcome for (and to brag about) a full pension.

Congress is going to take a full day to honor the dead killed by a mentally ill person, instead of working to repeal the health care bill, even while the President addresses the tragedy in person.

A thread about cold calling on an anonymous forum gets "hijacked" by political correctness.

Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Stone, gee whiz....

I wanted to create the visual of a southern woman, with a north carolina accent, black, so that people could imagine her style and sound.

Would you be so offended if I said a redneck stopped by from Arkansas, or a Hillbilly fella from the Ozarks, or a surfer dude from Laguna, Vietnamese guy from the deli, or an Indian guy at the 7/11?

All those I just described, speak with a certain style and flair, that adds to the humor of something they say that is either intentionally funny, or by accident.  

Jan 29, 2011 2:06 am

7:45 PM on a Friday evening

New Account - 10 bonds - First call never met

Never stop calling

Jan 29, 2011 2:24 am

God I've nailed my script. Cash cow. Never going to stop. Never look back. Run with it.

"Mr ____? Hi this is ____ with Edward Jones here in town. The reason for my call is the State of ____ had released a 5% tax free bond. Would you like to hear about it?" SHUT UP

-bond details-

"And you know CD rates are just in the toilet right now. (They ALWAYS chuckle and agree with you.) I mean last I checked they'll pay you ZERO.85. (Right now on the other end of the line, their heads are nodding in agreement with you. Selling to their emotions.) And well I wasn't sure if you had the funds available today, but I'd reserve a portion of this bond while it's still available." SHUT UP

*I use released instead of issued when I mention the bond. For some reason it works. I think the prospects feel like the bond just became available and it won't be here forever. Released sounds new, issued sounds boring. Bands release albums; they don't issue them. I'm very analytical ><

**I stress the ZERO as hard as possible, sometimes even repeat for emphasis, with regards to the CD rate. They will always cross the line to your side when you say this. You're on their team now and use those few seconds of the convo to build as much rapport as possible.

***I feel like the intro can't be more solid. I've tried everything and I can't believe how well this one works.

Jan 29, 2011 2:31 am

I was listening to a Bill Good seminar last night and he had a top producer come in and talk to the group. The FA said, the instant you walk into your office in the morning, become a professional actor. If you were being pitched a bond on the telephone, would you rather listen to an actor playing a financial advisor or a college professor playing a financial advisor?

All too often we're the professor. And we bore them to death and they just want to hang up the phone as soon as possible. You get Tom Cruise calling you up with a bond, and he's going to inject a hell of a lot of energy and emotion into his bond presentation.

That's why this job is so mentally exhausting. If we want to become successful, we've got to go into each and every call thinking the prospect is sitting on $100k cash and is very willing to invest with us. 200 times per day, 6 days a week. We've got to sell on emotion, not logic. One of the hardest jobs in the world. Phone book and a bond. Work your magic.

Jan 29, 2011 2:36 am

Disclaimer: I'm still not knocking it out of the park, but dear god I love this profession.

Proud to be a salesman. Those who don't like us generally aren't the ones who matter.

I've tried to quit many times every time I look on careerbuilder I just can't find a better profession. I believe we've even got it better than the doctors and attorneys. I think your right of entry into this career comes only after you've sent out your resume for a different job.