Welcome to Advisor Innovations, the newest podcast from WealthManagement.com.
In this inaugural episode, David Armstrong, editor in chief of WealthManagement.com, speaks with Mindy Diamond, a longtime columnist for the publication and its predecessor titles, and the CEO of Diamond Consulting—one of the country’s leading consulting and recruiting firms for financial advisors.
Mindy and David discuss the broad trends in why advisors work where they do, how the business models where advisors affiliate are changing, the truth behind the so-called “breakaway broker” trend, and why the line between the broker/dealer channel and the RIA channel is growing blurrier by the day.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why, and how, Mindy started Diamond Consulting;
- How she has seen the industry change over the past 20 years;
- The new firms that really have the traditional wirehouses worried;
- How the evolving platforms in the brokerage space are blurring the lines between the independent broker/dealer channel and the pure RIA channel;
- The “push, pull” dynamic that drives advisors’ decisions around moving to a new firm;
- The rise of the “middle ground” professional options and multiaffiliate business models that sit between fully employed and fully independent;
- Why money should never be the top reason to make a move (but it’s not unimportant.)