Sponsored by LPL Financial
Brian Hamburger is the founder of Hamburger Law Firm and Marketcounsel, providing legal and regulatory support to financial advisory firms.
In this episode, David Armstrong talks to Brian about the pioneering work his firm did helping wirehouse brokers “break away” and establish their own RIAs, and how his firm’s services have evolved alongside the growth of the RIA industry.
David and Brian discusses:
- The newest regulatory challenges to RIAs
- How advisor transitions have changed from the early days of the “breakaway broker.”
- What the erosion of the broker protocol means for advisors moving firms
- The potential troubles brewing as asset managers and outside investors buy their way into the RIA channel
- How Brian learned about the industry from his father, a financial advisor, and why he chose not to be an advisor himself.