Skip navigation

Database of 401k Fund Offerings?

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Sep 2, 2010 10:22 pm

I work for a small independent financial advisor.  We manage the assets in many of our clients' 401ks .  I'm trying to do a review of all the 401ks, evaluating whether they could be in better funds than what they currently are, comparing against all funds offered.   Is there any database available online that lists all offerings for various large companies' 401k plans?  For example, Best Buy would list Pimco Total Return, American Beacon, etc...

I could bug each of our clients for them to send us a list, but this would certainly be much easier.

thanks.

Sep 3, 2010 12:49 am

Sounds like your issue is that you work with multiple custodians and any one of their tools will not suffice.  In that case, look at Morningstar.  You will need to do a cross reference of the information they have on all funds against the offerings of any 401(k), but it sounds like you need to do that regardless.

If anyone has a source for more easily downloadable and analyzable fund information, I would like to hear about it!

Sep 3, 2010 4:20 pm

I think his question was more about what the investment options are within various 401K plans.

aw3839, I have tried in vain to get this type of info.  The short answer is that it does not exist in any one database (that I am aware).  The longer answer is that you might be able to piece it together.  There are some websites that I am aware of that might help:

http://www.fiduciarybenchmarks.com/index.html

http://www.brightscope.com/

Both of these may have some cost associated, and may not give you everything.

This website is a private advisor website that gives advice on various plans to their clients.  You can check and see if any of the ones you use are there:

http://www.fundadvice.com/401k-help/401k-plans/401k-help-introduction.html

Sep 4, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks very much for the info B24.  This should definitely help.

Oct 29, 2010 12:53 pm

I've never found a single database with that kind of info. But you do tend to run into the same players over and over so it is possible to build up your own database over time. As you compete against a provider go to their website and pull their data. e.g Fidelity offers a wide range of MFs, has brokerage window, and handles Company Stock..

For more general and more specific info look at plansponsor.com. They publish an annual report on providers with general info on service capabilities, investment method (MF, B/D etc), but no specific fund level info.

If you are interested in a specific company, go to freeerisa.com, that will give you 5500 filings including asset categories and expenses paid by the plan. Very useful in prepping for a meet with the potential client