Skip navigation

Series 66 training vendor evals for 2017: STC, TC and Kaplan

or Register to post new content in the forum

11 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jan 5, 2018 1:35 am

After two shots at the 66 using STC materials (book, lectures, QA/Finals from my employing IA) - and failing with a 64 and 72 - I was given a final shot. I decided to buy the Training Consultants book/lectures/practice finals for near $270. Went through that entire program in under a month, passing every practice test in the "chapters" with a green light. Passed every practice final (all 5) with a green light as well. Took two random finals. Both green lights. My scores in the TC practice finals and random finals were as follows: 91,86, 92, 88, 94 - and then 92/88 on the randoms. After having been through STC hell (twice), I was expecting to do well in the TC program. I liked the presentation and question wording MUCH better in the TC program. STC kicked it for the Series 7, but IMO was abysmal for the Series 66. I did return to take the two Greenlight exams in STC, in which I scored an 84 and 75.

I will say I also purchased the Kaplan QBank for $70 and went through about 700 questions including one "simulated exam." I did okay on the Kaplan questions - scores ranging from 67 to 84 - and got a 75 on the simulated exam. Kaplan categorizes their QBank categories to mirror the 4 sections of the Series 66 so you can really drill into any area you want. Throughout those 4 areas, my mean score over 700 questions was an 81. I felt Kaplan questions were WAY harder than the TC ones, and in many ways overly complicated. I encountered nothing on the real Series 66 exam that was remotely close to a majority of the overy complicarted Kaplan questions. But, those Kaplan questions got me to think deeper and really teat answer wording apart, which I appreciated.

All in all, I though the material presentation was excellent in the TC program. I was never that impressed with STC, even though I used it for a very good score on the Series 7. Both STC and Kaplan (from what I hear) books have way too much material - they must try to cover everything in the NASAA exam outline that's publicly published. TC, on the other hand, seemed like a very streamlined, 180-page "outline" that focused only on what you needed to know - and presented it very nicely.

Even so, the wording trickery in many of the actual Series 66 was the largest PIA I have seen in a long time. A straightforward approach would have been nice, but hey - we are talking about a dry-as-toast test created and termed by lawyers. Go figure.

After my first two attempts with 64 and 72 scores, today I nailed it with an 86. I will swear all day that the TC program was the key to my success - although it came much easier due to the fact I have gone through the STC program (in misery) almost twice.

Anyone want my Training Consultants OR Kaplan online training program credentials? They are for sale - make me a (decent) offer). I have the TC book also, but it has quite a few notes and highlights in it so may not be useful. Or, maybe it would be - eye of the beholder since I've marked it all up for you :-)

Glad to have the Series 66 behind me for sure :-)

Jan 5, 2018 11:58 am

Anyone who plans to take the series 66 exam should look for materials that cover All of the topic's on NASAA's outline and that have questions that are challenging.

Jan 5, 2018 4:50 pm

Congratulations on passing the series 66 exam!

Jan 5, 2018 5:16 pm

I would add that question wording and ease of information transfer are goals for a materials package too. There is a fine line between information overload, topical coverage, examples and challenging (and possibly overcomplication/overchallenging) practice questions. Having been through 2.5 programs, I've now seen it all (I think). Thanks for the congrats!

Jan 5, 2018 5:26 pm

Congrats on passing the Series 66! My firm currently offers STC, however I want to switch and try TC. I would be interested in making an offer!

Jan 6, 2018 3:44 pm

Was not impressed with STC for the Series 66. I did use STC for the Series 7 and liked it very much. They just did not prepare me for the Series 66 well at all though. I was really happy with the TC package, and I am very sure that helped me not just pass, but crush the Series 66 a few days ago. Email me at findbrian (at) gmail (dot) com and let’s talk if you’re interested in my TC material. Just bought it In November so it’s the most up to date. Thanks!

Apr 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Brian, congrats on passing!

I would love to buy the prog am from you if it is still available?

May 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm also looking for a training program. Does anyone has any they're looking to sell?

Aug 9, 2018 4:16 pm

Hello, I'm interested in the TC S66 program/material. Please let me know if anyone is willing to sell theirs. Thank you.

Aug 15, 2018 8:36 pm

findbrian wrote:

After two shots at the 66 using STC materials (book, lectures, QA/Finals from my employing IA) - and failing with a 64 and 72 - I was given a final shot. I decided to buy the Training Consultants book/lectures/practice finals for near $270. Went through that entire program in under a month, passing every practice test in the "chapters" with a green light. Passed every practice final (all 5) with a green light as well. Took two random finals. Both green lights. My scores in the TC practice finals and random finals were as follows: 91,86, 92, 88, 94 - and then 92/88 on the randoms. After having been through STC hell (twice), I was expecting to do well in the TC program. I liked the presentation and question wording MUCH better in the TC program. STC kicked it for the Series 7, but IMO was abysmal for the Series 66. I did return to take the two Greenlight exams in STC, in which I scored an 84 and 75.

I will say I also purchased the Kaplan QBank for $70 and went through about 700 questions including one "simulated exam." I did okay on the Kaplan questions - scores ranging from 67 to 84 - and got a 75 on the simulated exam. Kaplan categorizes their QBank categories to mirror the 4 sections of the Series 66 so you can really drill into any area you want. Throughout those 4 areas, my mean score over 700 questions was an 81. I felt Kaplan questions were WAY harder than the TC ones, and in many ways overly complicated. I encountered nothing on the real Series 66 exam that was remotely close to a majority of the overy complicarted Kaplan questions. But, those Kaplan questions got me to think deeper and really teat answer wording apart, which I appreciated.

All in all, I though the material presentation was excellent in the TC program. I was never that impressed with STC, even though I used it for a very good score on the Series 7. Both STC and Kaplan (from what I hear) books have way too much material - they must try to cover everything in the NASAA exam outline that's publicly published. TC, on the other hand, seemed like a very streamlined, 180-page "outline" that focused only on what you needed to know - and presented it very nicely.

Even so, the wording trickery in many of the actual Series 66 was the largest PIA I have seen in a long time. A straightforward approach would have been nice, but hey - we are talking about a dry-as-toast test created and termed by lawyers. Go figure.

After my first two attempts with 64 and 72 scores, today I nailed it with an 86. I will swear all day that the TC program was the key to my success - although it came much easier due to the fact I have gone through the STC program (in misery) almost twice.

Anyone want my Training Consultants OR Kaplan online training program credentials? They are for sale - make me a (decent) offer). I have the TC book also, but it has quite a few notes and highlights in it so may not be useful. Or, maybe it would be - eye of the beholder since I've marked it all up for you :-)

Glad to have the Series 66 behind me for sure :-)

Feb 6, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info! I too have struggled with the TC material on the top-off 7. I feel that the book is too broad and not focusing on the actual questions. Please recommend the best Series 7 topping off study materials. TIA