Skip navigation

To the 100 million dollar book brokers

or Register to post new content in the forum

40 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Aug 3, 2006 9:58 pm

V Brainy

There is a nice compounding effect. Th first year I brought in 5 the second year 8 third year 10 etc. Plus everything is growing (hopefully). As you gather more clients, they provide referrals and give you more assets

Aug 4, 2006 1:19 pm

[quote=rightway] [quote=bankrep1]Rightway,

I bounced around a bit in the beginning of my career and you're right alot of people "managing" big books. I didn't even know how big my book was at one bank, just that I had 8 file cabinets of files in 3 seperate branches I am sure it was 50+ million. Most were small accounts, bonds and fixed annuitties alot of $ in fixed annuitties the people didn't have a relationship with me or the bank. No opportunity, because the people had gotten this is Joe your new broker letter 20 times in the last 2 years.

When I talk about a 100 million dollar book, I mean a single broker with a 100 million dollar relationship with his clients. I don't think it is all that uncommon, I will be there in 4-6 years.[/quote]

Your right.  That is what the books looked like- a pile or 1 off transactions resting in annuity contracts and shares of mutual funds.  A short list of people though (myself included) worked hard at making as many of those people clients and focused not 100% on branch meetings and new referrals, but cultivating relationships instead. 

Alll of those larger reps have since left the bank and are now Indy, Wire, or Regional and all have books well exceeding 100 mil. 

The reality is that we did not really build these books on our own.  For 3 or 4 years it was like fishing for trout in a bath tub...we did not have to hunt for new accounts. 
[/quote]

An honest man.  And nothing to be ashamed about.  You cannot help a client unless they want to work with you.  There is nothing wrong with streamlining your prospecting process and making them clients faster.

Aug 7, 2006 5:34 pm

[quote=vbrainy]

Nobody gets that big without buying a book along the way.

[/quote]

You obviously won't.  Most $100MM books that I know have been built from scratch.  Yes, even at EDJ.

Aug 7, 2006 6:05 pm

[quote=exEJIR][quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

You obviously won't.  Most $100MM books that I know have been built from scratch.  Yes, even at EDJ.

[/quote]

What exactly is wrong with you people????  Honestly.  Do you think there is a problem with inheriting books or buying assets.

Do you feel some sick need to DIAL FOR EVERY DOLLAR?

I interact with plenty of EDJ guys.  100% of them have received assets from previous brokers within their first 6 months.

Aug 7, 2006 6:48 pm

So you want to build a 100 million dollar book? It's really not hard. Find something that works and then keep doing it. Some things that work are cold calling, cold walking, networking, seminars, workshops, direct mail, and referrals. Use what works best for you. Once you find the channel(s) that works best for you, brings in the the assets and delivers the gross to meet your goals, don't change anything. KEEP DOING IT! EVERYDAY! FOREVER! Did I mention DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING? Sooner or later you'll cross the magic 100 million mark, bells will ring, fireworks will burst, your mom will call, and your manager will ask "What have you done for me lately?"

If your goal is to build a 100 million dollar book and you are doing the things necessary to bring in the assets then it's only a matter of time until you meet that goal. Sooner or later the lines between the goal and the AUM will cross. How soon is up to you.

There is nothing wrong with buying a book. However, you can't learn anything from people who have achieved their success from some wired in process. If it's knowledge you seek, find those who have boot strapped their way to the top. These are the people who can help you. Success in this business is highly clonable. Find successful people and do what they do. And as always: This ain't rocket science"

Aug 8, 2006 12:41 am

[quote=vbrainy][quote=exEJIR][quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What exactly is wrong with you people????  Honestly.  Do you think there is a problem with inheriting books or buying assets.

I interact with plenty of EDJ guys.  100% of them have received assets from previous brokers within their first 6 months.

[/quote]

EJ is using their Goodknight program as a recruiting tool now.  During the recruiting process, I was told by 3 different people (IR's, recruiters) that I would recieve a few MM to help start my business. 

As far as $100MM books, I think you can build one, but it will be hard to nickle and dime it.  You'll have to be at the right place at the right time to the tune of a few $10MM+ accounts.

Aug 8, 2006 12:44 am

Do you suppose the word is Goodnight, as in “I’m outta here,” instead of Goodknight as in Sir Lancelot?

Aug 8, 2006 1:13 am

Or Jim Goodknight.

Aug 8, 2006 4:43 am

just sit down and look at a natural progression that a successful broker goes through during the first 5 years...

you look at bringing in at least 15mil your first 2 years (you will be let go at a large wirehouse if that is not met)

so say

year 1 5-6 mil

year 2 9-10 mil

then it will grow as you network of clients grows...also, their assets will grow, or so you hope!

Just guessing, I would say this is possible in 7-10 years. I am sure some studs have done it quicker, and there are some who grind for  15 -20 years to get there, but it can be done!

Aug 8, 2006 11:58 am

[quote=NASD Newbie]Do you suppose the word is Goodnight, as in "I'm outta here," instead of Goodknight as in Sir Lancelot?[/quote]

Do you suppose it is named after a guy with the surname Goodknight?

Aug 8, 2006 12:18 pm

[quote=entrylevelFA]

[quote=NASD Newbie]Do you suppose the word is Goodnight, as in "I'm outta here," instead of Goodknight as in Sir Lancelot?[/quote]

Do you suppose it is named after a guy with the surname Goodknight?

[/quote]

It is.  Jim Goodknight.

Aug 8, 2006 1:12 pm

[quote=Boomer]

just sit down and look at a natural progression that a successful broker goes through during the first 5 years...

you look at bringing in at least 15mil your first 2 years (you will be let go at a large wirehouse if that is not met)

so say

year 1 5-6 mil

year 2 9-10 mil

then it will grow as you network of clients grows...also, their assets will grow, or so you hope!

Just guessing, I would say this is possible in 7-10 years. I am sure some studs have done it quicker, and there are some who grind for  15 -20 years to get there, but it can be done!

[/quote]

This is exactly right. Also have to mind the store to keep the assets in place.

Aug 8, 2006 2:09 pm

[/quote]  

As far as $100MM books, I think you can build one, but it will be hard to nickle and dime it.  You'll have to be at the right place at the right time to the tune of a few $10MM+ accounts.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the asset Gods smiling upon you. A little luck never hurt anyone. To build a book takes zero luck and 100% work. You don't have to be in the right place at the right time. In this business the old saying about making your own luck holds true. Through your hard work you uncover the million dollar rollovers and the 2 million dollar business sale proceeds. That said, it's the everyday 10, 25, 50, and $100,000 accounts that will carry you to the world of massive assets. That and time. That and a client service model that keeps the assets in place once you've brought them in. It would be nice if there was some magic bullet answer to building a huge book. There isn't. And like I've said, this isn't rocket science. It's a simple business. Just open new accounts. And then open some more new accounts. Then when you've done that open some more new accounts. And then open more new accounts. When all that is done open some more new accounts. See, it's just that simple. Everyday when you arrive at the office you know what you have to do. It doesn't get easier than that. And then there's this: If you don't believe you can do it you're right, you can't. So the first thing anyone who wants to build a big book needs to do is to drop all the excuses and face the reality that they can do it. This isn't a team sport. The person directly responsible for your success or failure looks back at you every morning in the mirror. It's up to you.

Aug 8, 2006 4:02 pm

[quote=entrylevelFA][quote=vbrainy][quote=exEJIR][quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

EJ is using their Goodknight program as a recruiting tool now.  During the recruiting process, I was told by 3 different people (IR's, recruiters) that I would recieve a few MM to help start my business. 

[/quote]

Another honest comment about how FAs build their books.  Including how they build it at EDJ.

I work very hard, but I will take luck over hard work every time.

Aug 8, 2006 8:32 pm

When we talk about our "books" are we always including cash positions in this figure?

scrim

Aug 8, 2006 10:52 pm

Assets under management includes cash.

Aug 9, 2006 2:12 am

tj,

That's one of the most sensible messages that I've read on this board.  While I haven't posted much, I read a lot.  Thanks

Aug 9, 2006 2:31 am

[quote=justcheckin]

tj,

That's one of the most sensible messages that I've read on this board.  While I haven't posted much, I read a lot.  Thanks

[/quote]

He's one of the "real deals" on here and a good reason to wade through the crap to get some solid information.  Do a search for his posts, along with anyone else you think makes sense.

Aug 13, 2006 1:22 am

By the way 100 million is a good book, but some brokers have books between 250-500 million some even have a billion AUM, read the winners circle books. Also look each month in the trade mags it tells you when big hitters switch firms alot of people with 100 million.

Aug 15, 2006 11:53 am

I understand that but I am just looking for a goal to start out with. when I do hit 100 milion i dont plan on stopping.