Skip navigation

The 2008 Elections! (da da da dummmm)

or Register to post new content in the forum

360 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Mar 22, 2007 4:36 pm

[quote=babbling looney]

Newt has people in all 50 states who will work HARD for his organization

So did Nader and Perot... so what.

[/quote]

Thompson DOESN'T.

Meanwhile both Nader and Perot were third partiers, not a very prominent position in the voting booth.

Thirdly, Perot could have beaten Bush for the nomination if he hadn't dropped out and flipped out and talked about digitally enhanced pictures of his daughter and other conspiracy theory talk that sounded like sci fi back in the mid 80's.

Mar 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Candidate must be likeable and qualified. If there was a woman, or "minority", America as a country is ready. 

The reason they say Hillary is a lesbian is because her husband has a pecker in every pocket.  

Obama is intriguing because he is likeable, a real person who needs to sneak a cigarette.

Hillary is dumb and doomed, squeaky nails the chalk board won't do the job.

I have not seen the TV show, but if Fred can smile, he can win.

We just need to support someone who will not screw up the economy, our little straw poll debate here is really important.

I am starting to think that Tennessee is the key in a lot of ways -  the American heartland. If Al can maintain an old strip mine there, an actor can win the white house.

Mar 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Candidate must be likeable and qualified.

Uhhhmmmm... Errrrr...

"Qualified"? Must be? Perhaps you've been asleep the last ....

I'll give you this.... A candidate must be qualified OR likeable.

Cheney was seen as Qualified (which was the fall back position to millions who knew the George Jr. was NOT!) but nobody has nominated Dick for the definition of "Likeable" (to put it as gently as I may).

Obama may well be this year's Howard Dean. The press LOVED Howard Dean before the Iowa Caucus. He was the front runner (far as they knew) and he was taking the world by storm. Then they turned on him. The Iowa cheer turned into an "angry outburst" and they harpooned him.

This is the media's favorite trick. Build someone up so they can roast them right! Obama is a calf being fatted as he's being lead to the slaughter. It's gonna be a "high tech lynching" as Clancy Thomas called it.

Mar 22, 2007 5:20 pm

[quote=babbling looney]Fred Thompson[/quote]
I agree.  I think he could win the primary.  I believe he could be our next president.

Mar 22, 2007 5:29 pm

A candidate must be qualified OR likeable.

Alright, agreed.

So now we are back to the old testament with the fatted calf thing, and the journalists. Say it, tough on terror.

Hence, your focus on the inevitability of Hilary. What a depressing thought. Pragmatism.

Entertain a little positive thinking here. In WHAT WAY, could, Hillary, also become a fatted and sacrificial calf?

She'll have the money, the machine, the political correctness.

The ONE thing - a charismatic, centrist, monied Republican. The Republican right better get smart quick.

Maybe this fellow Obama could switch parties and keep his mouth closed. If GW could do it...

Mar 23, 2007 4:08 am

whomit,

I really like the fatted calf idea...  Still to this day, I don't see what was so wrong with Dean's scream.  Just seemed like fun exuberance to me.  I hope Obama's not lulling himself into a false sense of media security.  But then we all like to see the calf slaughtered.

Now that you mention Law and Order, one of my favorite shows in all of its forms (where's detectives eames and goram?), I know who fred t. is. 

It's too early to tell, but I lean to the left, and I could see myself voting for Rudy.  I like how he made a lot happen in NY, a left leaning state, and if dems control the legislative, then there will hopefully be a Repub in the executive.  I think having no checks/balances has been a big part of our problems.

Mar 23, 2007 5:07 am

[quote=silouette]

A candidate must be qualified OR likeable.

Alright, agreed.

So now we are back to the old testament with the fatted calf thing, and the journalists. Say it, tough on terror.

Hence, your focus on the inevitability of Hilary. What a depressing thought. Pragmatism.

Entertain a little positive thinking here. In WHAT WAY, could, Hillary, also become a fatted and sacrificial calf?

She'll have the money, the machine, the political correctness.

The ONE thing - a charismatic, centrist, monied Republican. The Republican right better get smart quick.

Maybe this fellow Obama could switch parties and keep his mouth closed. If GW could do it...

[/quote]

Hilary already is "fatted".  She could bear to skip a meal or two.
Mar 23, 2007 5:17 am

Exactly, as a big target there is hope she could miss the Big Meal.

Mar 23, 2007 12:36 pm

[quote=silouette]

I am starting to think that Tennessee is the key in a lot of ways - the

American heartland. If Al can maintain an old strip mine there, an actor can

win the white house.

[/quote]

An actor alrady has won the White House. His name was Ronald Reagan. It

was in all the papers.
Mar 23, 2007 12:58 pm

[quote=Philo Kvetch] [quote=silouette]

I am starting to think that Tennessee is the key in a lot of ways -  the
American heartland. If Al can maintain an old strip mine there, an actor can
win the white house.

[/quote]

An actor alrady has won the White House. His name was Ronald Reagan. It
was in all the papers.[/quote]

That was good.

Mar 23, 2007 3:14 pm

I campaigned for him.

Mar 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Speaking of truth serum, maybe we need a good interviewer to get to the bottom of the Hillery lesbian conspiracy.  Or, Larry King needs to have Suze Orman&wife, Hillery & ???, Ellen Degeneres&wife and Rosie O'D&wife; that country female singer&wife on his show.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that).  In the case of male fa's not liking Suze: she's gay.  In case of alot of males not liking Hillery must mean she's gay, too.   (side note: Did you know that Hillery's 'girlfriend' is actually Monica Lewinsky?  She has Bill screen them for her.  What!  Sorry, thought I was posting on TGP! )

My vote is for Obamma and Hillery (VP) ticket.

Actually McCain might do a good job before the Alzhemizer's sets in.

Sad about Edwards' wife's health.  (Vote for the best lookin one and you can't go wrong.)  At least Al Gore got smart and won't run again...or will he? 

Mar 26, 2007 3:41 am

When did more funds for education improve anything… Accountability.

MITT ROMNEY! He is not a Senator, since one has not been elected since the 50s.

He is not a life time politician.

He is a leader who saved the 2001 Utah Olympics… He founded Bain Consulting… He cuts government budgets and makes things happen.

I don’t care what he thinks about guns, birth control, freedom of speech or any other liberal BS. Its all about kicking some A$$$$ and cuting this fat government budget. Why he’s at it cut about 100,000, $80,000 jobs in Washington DC.

Mar 26, 2007 12:42 pm

John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and Richard Nixon were all former Senators

and were elected post-1950s.

Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

What I don't get about these sorts of stats (like the one I used for Rudy) is "what difference does it make?"

"no Senator has won ..." as if this means that it ought to be a criteria. Am I overly impressed with the choices that previous electorates? Not really, they rarely make choices based on even their own self interest.

When I was a kid and ran for class president (or whatever) the question came up "Do you vote for yourself or do you do the gracious thing and vote for the other guy?" to which the answer is "If you don't believe in yourself enough to vote for yourself, then you shouldn't be running in the first place." I  feel this is the same reason that everyone should vote in their own self interest; If you're not going to look after your own self interest, why should anyone else?

Nor do I understand the fervent "belief" in the anti "Professional Politician" position. I want people who are passionate about the profession of politics. I want people who have studied the consequences of previous politicians' actions. (Remember when Newt drafted a bunch of Newbies who defaulted on the national debt?)

Nor do I understand the desire to believe that we live in a place where we choose our candidates. In most areas of this country there is an overwhelming majority to one party or the other. As a result, winning the Party endorsement is tantamount to winning the election(s) (it's rare that challengers win the primary against the party faithful, and rarer still that the third party player wins Lieberman being an exception that proves the rule).

Candidates are determined by their organization. It's all about who can get out their vote for primaries, and this is all about the "grass roots", infrastructure. None of these organizations are run by people who do it for free. They are business entities (however they are structured) and they go with the best candidate as determined by  who is paying what to whom.

As to Romney's "Olympic experience". Last time we had a guy from the world of display sport involved, he did "a heckuva job, Brownie!"

As to not caring what he thinks about Right Wing hot button issues... Unfortunately, the right got into bed with the Religious Reich. They now have a Fatal Attraction for you. They "won't be IGNORED by you!" They're gonna boil your bunny before you drown them in the bathtub!

"Know whadIMEEEEan, Doc?" 

Mar 26, 2007 3:26 pm

I think Fred Thompson could beat Hillary right now.  If he keeps his nose clean, and doesn't say anything incredibly stupid, I think he's our next president.  As for not having an infrastructure out there, I don't see that as a problem, especially if Hillary is on the ticket.  I have been VERY disappointed in the Republican candidates (Rudy, McCain, Newt, etc.).  When I heard Thompson might run, I was ready to send him a check immediately.

Fred Thompson is like your nice grandfather, Hillary is like the wicked witch of the East.  No contest.

Mar 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I can't help but think that Thompson's "bid" is a gambit.

L&O is a huge franchise that fills out the schedule of several channels. If FT runs for President, those shows that have him in them will have to be pulled from the TV. The lost revenues to Wolfe, and the other actors (assuming they have a taste of the residuals) is huge!

Fred Thompson is negotiating with the producers of L&O, not with the voters of America. (Probably.)  

Mar 26, 2007 3:41 pm

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017150.php

The push for Thompson is getting stronger.  I do believe he has a real chance at winning the primary if not the actual election.  What I like is that unlike some of the other candidates I don't think the idea of running was "his".  He is being begged and pressured to enter the race.

Please oh please. Let Hillary run 

Mar 26, 2007 4:07 pm

I don’t care who gets elected as long as they turn Iran into a sheet of glass.

Mar 26, 2007 4:08 pm

I saw John Kerry and his wife on this morning on the “Today” show.  She looked like she was a zombie.  Maybe I’m just out of the political hoopla loop, but is she okay???  I knew John Edwards wife was ill, but what the deal with John Kerry’s wife anyway?