Archived versions of WealthManagement.com webinars are available on demand 24 hours after broadcast.
Planning Considerations for the Post-Nuclear Family
For centuries, the traditional notion of family involved a heterosexual couple in a long-term marriage who conceived children the old-fashioned way during their marriage. Evolving social norms and new technological advances over the past 40 years have challenged these traditional notions of family. Primary changes include:
- A dramatic increase in divorce and the creation of blended families
- Legalization of same-sex marriage and an increase in unmarried cohabiting couples
- Children born outside of marriage and the phenomenon of single mothers by choice
- An acceptance of adoption and sophisticated assisted reproductive technology
In addition, factors such as evolving gender roles and an increased understanding of transgender family members impact modern families.
For advisors in the family office space and others who work with ultra-high net worth families ("UHNW"), these changing definitions of famly can impact:
- Family governance
- How services are provided
- How existing trusts are to be interpreted
- How new estate planning instruments should be drafted
These issues go to the very core of what it means to be a famly. Join this webinar as we explore how these topics may particularly impact UHNW clients.
The NAEPC has approved this program for one (1) general CE credit hour for the AEP® designation program.
This program has been submitted to IMCA and the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards for CE credit review. Approvals are pending.