The Authoritative Voice of the Retail Real Estate Industry Re-launches with 244-Page May Issue and Focuses on Doing Business Now and In the Future
14TH Annual Superior Achievement in Design and Imaging (SADI) Awards Recognize the 2003 Leaders in Retail Innovation IN AMERICA
New York, NY – May 6, 2003 — New York, New York – May 6, 2003 – PRIMEDIA’s Shopping Center World magazine has re-launched as Retail Traffic. The premiere issue of the new magazine, whose tagline is “Where real estate, retail and development meet” will reach readers in early May. Retail Traffic's May issue coincides with the annual national convention of the International Council of Shopping Centers in Las Vegas, where a gala launch party will be held on May 18th. The same evening, Retail Traffic will honor the winners of the 14th annual Superior Achievement in Design and Imaging (SADI) awards, which recognize the retail industry’s leaders in design and architecture.
“Why Retail Traffic? The industry has become so much bigger than just shopping centers, and our coverage reflects that,” said Editor-in-Chief Beth Karlin. “As for traffic, it’s all about getting feet and dollars flowing through stores. Each month, we will bring our readers the latest news, features and analysis about what’s working in retail real estate—and what trends are changing the industry.”
The premiere issue features a comprehensive cover package on the future of retail development. It also introduces the new departments including Traffic Reports, an expanded news section and Traffic Patterns, a monthly update on the data that help retailers and developers pinpoint important demographic and business trends.
“Retail Traffic also has an elegant, modern look that reflects how important design and aesthetics are to our readers,” said Karlin. “We are particularly pleased with how the new format shows off the winners of the SADI Awards, which exemplify some of the most exciting trends emerging from the retail industry.”
Superior Achievement in Design & Imaging (SADI) Awards Eligible entrants for the SADI Awards, sponsored by Sony Electronics, included any architectural or design firm, retailer or developer responsible for the design of a new or renovated retail store, shopping center or restaurant. A distinguished panel of experts judged and scored the entries, based on construction problem-solving, general aesthetics, image building and implementation. Winners are:
- ‘New Retail Store’ (less than 5,000 sq. ft.) Winner: Pavlik Design Group for Schedoni, Coral Gables, FL;
- Honorable Mention: Pavlik Design Group for JR Dunn Jewelers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- ‘New Retail Store’ (5,000 sq. ft or more) Winner: WalkerGroup/CNI for L'ladro Ginza Flagship, Tokyo, Japan;
- Honorable Mention: Pavlik Design Group for Palacio De Hierro, Puebla, Mexico
- ‘New Centers’ (less than 400,000 sq. ft.) Honorable Mention/Editor’s Choice Award: WalkerGroup/CNI for Max Ocio Commercial Center, Bilbao, Spain
- ‘New Centers’ (400,000 sq. ft. – 1 million sq. ft.) Winner: Elkus/Manfredi Architects for The Grove, Los Angeles, CA
- ‘New Centers’ (more than 1 million sq. ft.) Winner: RTKL Associates Inc. for The Streets at Southpoint, Durham, NC;
- ‘New Restaurants’ Winner: Pavlik Design Group for Palacio De Hierro, Puebla, Mexico;
- Honorable Mention: Engstrom Design Team for Brasserie Vert, Hollywood, CA
- Honorable Mention: JPRA Architects for The Mall at Millenia, Orlando, FL
- ‘Renovated Retail Stores’ Honorable Mention: Disney Store for Disney Store, Paris, France
- ‘Renovated Centers’ Winner: OWP/P Belluschi Architects for Tabor Center Redevelopment, Denver, CO;
- Honorable Mention: Kiku Obata & Co./Urban Design Group for Grand Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
In addition, the second annual Grand SADI, a special award recognizing the best overall design in the 2003 competition, was awarded to WalkerGroup/CNI for the L'ladro Ginza flagship store, in Tokyo, Japan.
Coverage of the SADI awards will be also be posted to Retail Traffic’s new Web site, www.retailtrafficmag.com. and displayed at booth #319 at the ICSC Spring Convention.
About PRIMEDIA’s Retail Traffic magazine Retail Traffic, formerly known as Shopping Center World, is the source of information for retailers, developers, investors, architects, designers and other professionals involved in the process of creating and operating retail environments. The editors provide deep analysis and independent content to link readers to the people, companies, products and news that drive the industry. In-depth trend pieces, always with an eye toward the future, provide hard- hitting facts to support conclusions and enable readers to apply the information to their work processes. The monthly magazine content is supported weekly by the Retail Traffic Online e-newsletter and daily on the Web site, www.retailtrafficmag.com. Retail Traffic is part of PRIMEDIA’s Financial Services Group that also includes National Real Estate Investor, Registered Rep. and Trusts & Estates.
About PRIMEDIA Inc. PRIMEDIA is the largest targeted media company with leading positions in consumer and business-to-business markets. Our properties deliver content via print, along with video, the Internet and live events and offer highly effective advertising and marketing solutions in some of the most sought after niche markets. With 2002 sales from continuing businesses of $1.6 billion, PRIMEDIA is the #1 special interest magazine publisher in the U.S. with more than 250 titles. Our well known brands include Motor Trend, Automobile, New York, Fly Fisherman, Power & Motoryacht, Ward's Auto World, and Registered Rep. The company is also the #1 producer and distributor of free consumer guides, including Apartment Guides. PRIMEDIA Television’s leading brand is the Channel One Network and About is one of the largest sources of original content on the Internet. PRIMEDIA's stock symbol is: NYSE: PRM. More information about the company can be found at www.primediabusiness.com.
Media Contacts: Laura Schramm, 212-446-1890
Noelle Wojciehowski, 212-462-3658