Series 66 STC 2016

or Register to post new content in the forum

28 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Feb 9, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm currently studying for the 66 with the STC manual and practice exams. However I read on forums that the STC practice exams don't fully prepare you for the actual exam and many of you prefer TC. Going through the practice exams of STC they seem to be better than what people have been complaining about. Most of the posts on this forum are from 3-4 years ago and I'm wondering if anyone has had a more recent experience with the 66 exam and study materials. My exam is 3 days away, should I purchase the TC practice tests? On my first practice test with STC I got a 54%, 2nd 60% and 3rd 69%. I used STC for the series 7 and I pass on the first try. 

Feb 10, 2016 9:54 am

hi thegreek, im currently using kaplan study materials and im going through every section to try and score above an 75.

based on your scores on STC you might want to boost your scores for a better chance of passing.

Feb 10, 2016 11:44 am

Hi subievestor, yes i'm hoping to be scoring in the 80s before I go take the exam. Good luck with your exam!

Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm

TC used to be phenomenal as they basically had all the questions to the exams but they got in trouble by FINRA a few years ago and and had to revamp their materials. Most of my students say that TC materials are too easy.. You will be fine using STC or Kaplan,, also WIley has some good materials also. You will be fine STC and focus on the reading as opposed to just the Qs trust me.. students come to me after they fail because they listened to others say just take a lot of questions
Ken
[email protected]

Feb 10, 2016 1:19 pm

That is really helpful! Thank you Ken!

Feb 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Took the exam for the first time and passed it with a 78%. Very ambiguous questions, many times throughout the test I thought "I should have memorized the study manual word by word". Like others said before it is a bell curved test, it's easy at the beginning and end. If you can't memorize the entire manual (chances are you wont) make sure you can distinguish the differences between the USA regulations and Federal regulations for everything (from custody of funds-advertising). Also, study EVERYTHING else. I only used the STC material, read the manual first, did the Q & A exams which I did not get any passing scores till the last 2. Then I continued with the final exams, my scores fluctuated for a 69%-89% with an average of 83%. Although the exams were helpful and had a few questions that were very similar to the exam I want to say that the actual exam was harder. The easy concept questions were more complicated than on STC. Going over the manual again the last 3 days definitely helped so I would suggest skimming over the most important parts even if you are not done with the practice final exams (because at this point you have memorized the specific concepts of the practice questions and chances are you are answering right because you have seen those questions before). GOOD LUCK!!

Apr 13, 2016 11:54 pm

TC is NECESSARY to pass the 66. I got an 83% and honestly can say that I would not have passed if I had solely relied on STC, which I received from my firm. I told my coworker about TC and she relied on it as well, and even agreed that only using STC would have gotten her nowhere.

TC's questions mirrored the questions on the actual exam and STC's were much more detailed (unnecessarily) and confusing. The TC questions allowed you to gain comfort in the thought process needed for the actual exam. I took last month and some of the questions were nearly identical.

I bought the TC book as well as online access, but in the end only ended up relying on the online access as I had (unfortunately) already sunk my time into the STC book.

Selling both my TC book and online access if interested! Good luck to all.

Jul 14, 2016 1:41 pm

The Series 66 is a difficult exam. I found it much harder than the Series 7. I used Kaplan to study, which I thought was very good. I failed on the first try with a 74 (seriously failed by one question). I took it again a month later and received an 80. The exam has its fair share of easy and straight-forward questions, but it also has many very tricky questions. They are purposely made ambiguous or the answers differ by one key word. It's only 100 questions (110 but 10 don't count) and the passing grade is 75%, so there isn't much leniency to get many wrong. Good luck to everyone.

Jul 21, 2016 6:36 pm

I feel like it's my duty to add to this as I have utilized this during my studies. My experience is recent as I took the exam today and passed. In short the Series 66 is MUCH harder than Series 7. I obtained a 91% on the Series 7 exam but only managed a 78% on the 66. The posts that you see about TC being fantastic and that there are 30-40 questions like the ones in TC study material are completely unwarned. I too was folded by these posts which way over hyped their study material. Do not believe these posts your only key to the exam is studying hard learing TC material and hoping for a reapeat of questions is a doomed study style. I partly knew that was true and believe me TC is not going to save you. I used Kaplan for both exams.

Jan 23, 2017 2:50 am

I realize this is an older thread but I'm taking my Series 66 exam in just under two weeks and stressing out. I'm using STC and scored a 57% and 63% on my first two Q&A exams. Not good. I bought TC online exam banks, is it really as great as you all say? The questions do seem a bit "easier" than STC but then I worry they are too easy compared to the actual exam. Any insights? Also, does anyone know the average pass rate for this exam?

Feb 19, 2017 9:00 am

It's not a joke

I passed with a 74% because I didn't study like I did for the series 7, which I passed with an 88%. Read the book, take every test open book, go back and review what you got wrong and then take every closed book test. Yea, I know, some genius will post a "this this is cake, I bearly cracked a book." If that's you, why are you on this site? Most of us are in the same boat. This thing is hard because it has nothing to do with our work and it doesn't come naturally to us. So, my advice is to suck it up and follow the STC schedule and you will pass. If not, do what I did and rely on divine intervention. Best thing I did was check this site the week before which at least gave me a wake up call to get as much done as I could. But, it was barely enough. Take it seriously and you will pass. STC is awesome.

Feb 20, 2017 5:46 am

Hi

STC is now incorporating its 47 years of training expertise in an easy-to-use mobile Application. Our App is now available for Series 7 and Series 79 with Series 3, 6, 24, 63, 65, and 66 rolling out over the next few weeks. Other courses will follow later this year. STC’s App is currently available for iPads. However, it will soon offer the capability for iPhone and Android devices.

Our App is superior to other offerings in the field because it allows for completely offline training AND synchronization with STCinteractive. Students can start their training on STCinteractive and finish on the App. They can take their test while disconnected from the Internet (e.g., on the subway or on a flight), and have the results synchronized with STCinteractive so they can finish their training while at home or in the office. Students watching our On-Demand Lectures can download them and watch from anywhere.

Feb 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi guys! First just want to say thanks to everyone posting here. I take the 66 in just over a week am seriously stressed out. I'm using STC and my QA scores have been less than stellar with an average of around a 67% after 6 Q&A exams. Still have 5 more Q&As, and all the closed books to go. But as of now, I'm freaking out. Can anyone shed some light on what your Q&A scores were then what your closed book scores were? Thanks for any additional assistance and advice you can provide.

Feb 24, 2017 2:21 am

I was using TC for my 7 and 66. I just passed my series 66 course last week.

If you're interested, maybe i can sell you my TC series 66 training course so you can take online exams. My email is [email protected]

Feb 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Appreciate the offer iponce. I take the test in just a couple of days. Hopefully all will go well. I'll let cha know next week. Good-luck to anyone else about to take the exam. Cheers!!

Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Good Luck Gator2017! Let me know how it goes. It is a tricky exam, often times I was stuck between two answers on questions. You really have to know your stuff!

If you know anyone that is interested, let them know that I am sellng my TC for half off. It comes with the online training program and the textbook. Great material, it helepd me pass!

Feb 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Good afternoon all,

I am taking my exam tomorrow and have been using the STCUSA online exam prep after the first two q&a I started scoring 78+ and now 85+ I skimmed through the book yesterday and will redo tonight but I was wondering if anyone that passed was able to offer some advice other then the fact that the test is tricky I would appreciate it.

Mar 1, 2017 8:37 pm

Took the test today. Scored a 69% used STC materials. Don't know what I'm gonna do going forward just yet. Saw a good bit of stuff I had never seen before on the exam that was not covered in the STC material. Granted I cannot say that its entirely STCs fault that I failed. There was definitely enough there to meet the minimum. I still should have passed, but I didn't. I just don't think the STC material for the 66 really sets you up enough for success. I was scoring between 85-90s on closed book exams and 65-75s on QAs prior to the test. Will see what happens next test. My plan is to acquire additional study material. Good-luck to those looking to yet take the exam. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Mar 2, 2017 10:43 am

gator2017 wrote:

Took the test today. Scored a 69% used STC materials. Don't know what I'm gonna do going forward just yet. Saw a good bit of stuff I had never seen before on the exam that was not covered in the STC material. Granted I cannot say that its entirely STCs fault that I failed. There was definitely enough there to meet the minimum. I still should have passed, but I didn't. I just don't think the STC material for the 66 really sets you up enough for success. I was scoring between 85-90s on closed book exams and 65-75s on QAs prior to the test. Will see what happens next test. My plan is to acquire additional study material. Good-luck to those looking to yet take the exam. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Could you specify some of the stuff that wasn't covered in STC but was on the exam? I'm scheduled to take the 66 this afternoon! I've been using STC as well.

Mar 2, 2017 4:06 pm

Just passed the S66 today with a 77%, using the STC materials. If I had to retake it I definitely would focus more on investment vehicles and DCF, I had a lot of questions about plans and NPV/IRR/DCF.