Skip navigation

Merrill's 100 people list

or Register to post new content in the forum

51 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm

[quote=choida]For the experience NASD Newbie. That is why I would want to piss in the wind. Even pissing in the wind takes talent, and I think it is worth a shot in my case. I think it doesn't hard to give it a shot, and considering I will be faced by tons of people by trying to "dissaude" me. That alone is pure motivation for me to build upon. I am still going to turn in this list, and want to see how far I can get.[/quote]

That's what is so great about the country--we can all make stupid mistakes.

Child, I did not say you cannot make it.  What I said was if you had to ask "How can I fudge a list of 100?" you don't have an ice cube's chance in hell.

Think about this.  If you had a shot you would have signed on to this forum and asked, "I am being asked to bring in a list of 100 prospects.  Do I have to stop there, I think I have at least 1,000?"

But nope you came looking for help in coming up with more than a couple of dozen names--you were joyous at the thought of turning in an essentially meaningless list.

I suggest the manager will toss you out on your ear if you turn in a list of names obtained by walking down the street--do you think that manager is so stupid he or she won't know what you did?

Sep 12, 2006 2:00 am

Nice Post Doberman

Sep 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Thank you all for contributing to this post. I have 70 and am going to Chamber of Commerce and an entrepreneuship center, old networks from college. I think I will have at least 100. Thank you all for contributing and also those who throw salt. Thank you.

Sep 12, 2006 9:41 pm

One thing I overlooked for sure when I started was warm networking. I used to cold call, buy leads, and cold walked.  None of them worked well for me.  Cold walked may have worked, but I walked too fast and didn't build the rapport that was needed.  Afterall, we do what advertising dollars and call centers can't do effciently is build relationships.  That's why agents/advisors have not been replaced.  Keep expanding your list, nurse them, and work them.

Sep 12, 2006 10:49 pm

[quote=JimmytheRocker]That's true.  I size everyone up now.  They start to pick my brain and I say the right things to get them curious enough to see me at my office.  I invite everyone in my niche market onto my electronic newsletter.  I get a 70% of my calls turn into appointments.  50% of appointments into clients.  100% of my clients into cash value life insurance cause they love it![/quote]

So Ameriprise is the place for you.

What is the fit for cash value life insurance?  Aren't you just selling it for the commission?

Sep 12, 2006 10:51 pm

[quote=choida]Thank you all for contributing to this post. I have 70 and am going to Chamber of Commerce and an entrepreneuship center, old networks from college. I think I will have at least 100. Thank you all for contributing and also those who throw salt. Thank you.[/quote]

100 leads.  Stop. Quit. 

You can't even come up with 100 leads?  How do you expect to bring in $6million in assets your first year?

Sep 13, 2006 5:22 am

[quote=vbrainy]

[quote=JimmytheRocker]That's true.  I size everyone up now.  They start to pick my brain and I say the right things to get them curious enough to see me at my office.  I invite everyone in my niche market onto my electronic newsletter.  I get a 70% of my calls turn into appointments.  50% of appointments into clients.  100% of my clients into cash value life insurance cause they love it![/quote]

What is the fit for cash value life insurance?  Aren't you just selling it for the commission?

[/quote]

I sell the prospect on the living benefit of cash value life insurance. Commissions keep me in the biz.  I shuffle through the people who don't see eye to eye with me.

Sep 13, 2006 5:24 am

[quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

I am a commission based planner.  I'd be a fool to not be in it for the money.

Sep 13, 2006 5:27 am

You are not a planner, u are an agent

Sep 13, 2006 12:50 pm

Planner/agent/consultant.

Be all you can be

Sep 16, 2006 1:27 am

bankrep, the Dow might very well hit 12000, soon, and google might hit 500

Sep 18, 2006 5:16 pm

[quote=JimmytheRocker][quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You sell it based on the cash value they can pass on when they die?  You call yourself a planner?  Death is just one life event.  College planning, retirement planning, estate planning, legacy planning those are things a financial planner does.

If you are selling just one product, based on getting a high comission, you are DIRT.  I hope you get fired.

It is OK to make money in this field, when we do the best for our client.  There are very few fits for VULs.  They have VERY high expenses and sales charges.

Do you believe in sin?

Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Nice information guys. Thank you for the valuable advice. I got a call to sign one more paper needed for the hiring process and she needs my SSN and drivers license copied. Start in two weeks. What should I expect in two weeks, training, meetings? Thank you

Sep 21, 2006 5:06 pm

[quote=vbrainy][quote=JimmytheRocker][quote=vbrainy]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You sell it based on the cash value they can pass on when they die?  You call yourself a planner?  Death is just one life event.  College planning, retirement planning, estate planning, legacy planning those are things a financial planner does.

If you are selling just one product, based on getting a high comission, you are DIRT.  I hope you get fired.

It is OK to make money in this field, when we do the best for our client.  There are very few fits for VULs.  They have VERY high expenses and sales charges.

Do you believe in sin?

[/quote]

I find people who are perfect candidates for cash value life insurance.  There are many people who don't qualify for it.  A heavily funded VUL does wonders for the right client.  I have a specific target market I work with.  I don't try to be everything for everyone.    Nothing dirty about that. 

Sep 21, 2006 5:27 pm

What is the profile of the “perfect candidate” for cash value life insurance?

Sep 21, 2006 6:04 pm

36-24-36 blonde

Sep 21, 2006 6:20 pm

36-24-36?

Only if your 5'3".

Sep 21, 2006 7:25 pm

Who is on my side on this one?

Sep 21, 2006 7:40 pm

What difference does that make?  Do you decide what a perfect customer for cash value life insurance is based on a poll?

Sep 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Do you live on the forum?