Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 11, 2009 1:41 am

Chief I am pretty sure he is talking to gethardgetrawgetahooker

Dec 11, 2009 1:43 am

[quote=Primo][quote=Ron 14]

Dont rip his activities unless you are going to post yours day in and day out.

[/quote]     I didn't rip anything.  I used my personal experience to determine how much time what he posted took.  60 non contacts @ 45secs each.  10 non-prospect contacts @ 2 minutes ea.  4 prospect contacts @ 6 minutes each.  This is based on my cold calling statistics.  As far as what I did today, 5 appts, approx (I didn't count) 30 client phone contacts.  Notice, I made 35 contacts today, a little short of what is needed.   BTW, the reason I pointed out how much time he spent prospecting is because I would bet you money he feels he spent a lot more time prospecting.  74d, 14c, 4p days will not lead to success unless he gets lucky.  I did post what I feel needs to be done to be successful.[/quote]   So you generate no new prospects? What is the point of 35 contacts/day of exisiting clients unless you manage $100MM??   How did you get 5 appts? Do you work at a bank(there is no shame, but don't compare that to those that don't)
Dec 11, 2009 1:57 am
Ron 14:

So you are telling me you talk to 30 clients a day, 20 working days a month that is 600 client contacts a month. How many clients do you have ? And if you aren’t keeping track you are doing half of what you think. That is based on my cold calling statistics.

Your making assumptions.  I have a number of stock traders, who I called today with an idea.  About 25 clients(could be 22, could be 27, don't know the exact # therefore the estimate).  Called a few clients for random reasons, mostly administrative BS, of course had an "idea" for each.  3 end of the year reviews, 2 referrals.  No cold calls today, but I'm not a newb.
Dec 11, 2009 2:00 am

[quote=chief123][quote=Primo][quote=Ron 14]

Dont rip his activities unless you are going to post yours day in and day out.

[/quote]     I didn't rip anything.  I used my personal experience to determine how much time what he posted took.  60 non contacts @ 45secs each.  10 non-prospect contacts @ 2 minutes ea.  4 prospect contacts @ 6 minutes each.  This is based on my cold calling statistics.  As far as what I did today, 5 appts, approx (I didn't count) 30 client phone contacts.  Notice, I made 35 contacts today, a little short of what is needed.   BTW, the reason I pointed out how much time he spent prospecting is because I would bet you money he feels he spent a lot more time prospecting.  74d, 14c, 4p days will not lead to success unless he gets lucky.  I did post what I feel needs to be done to be successful.[/quote]   So you generate no new prospects? I didn't cold call today, that does not mean that I don't prospect.  2 of the appts were referrals which is the bulk of my growth at this point. What is the point of 35 contacts/day of exisiting clients unless you manage $100MM??   How did you get 5 appts? 3 end of the year reviews, 2 referrals.  5 appts is more than ussual, 1-2 is normal. Do you work at a bank(there is no shame, but don't compare that to those that don't)No, wirehouse. [/quote]
Dec 11, 2009 2:11 am

I think this is just a miscommunication… PRIMO is well into his career and doesn’t need calling anymore.

The dude with the really long name just started...   So how about a compromise...   Primo: When you first started what was a typical call volume for you   Long guy name: Be more consistent, build a base then increase after you can achieve that base... Nick Murray explains it pretty well.
Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am

[quote=Squash1]I think this is just a miscommunication… PRIMO is well into his career and doesn’t need calling anymore.

The dude with the really long name just started...   So how about a compromise...   Primo: When you first started what was a typical call volume for you 200 contacts per week.  The rest, i.e. accounts, AUM, production, takes care of itself and while can be influenced, is out of my control.  # of contacts can be controlled.   Long guy name: Be more consistent, build a base then increase after you can achieve that base... Nick Murray explains it pretty well.[/quote]
Dec 11, 2009 3:26 am

No offense but I disagree contacts can be controlled, I think dials can be controlled. But I have no control over if someone answers the phone or if I can get through a secretary…

But let's take you scenario.. 200 contacts/week assuming 5 day schedule is 40/day, so if we work back from that..   40 contacts at 20% rate is 200 calls/day. That is the case only if the 20% you contact on 200 calls are qualified. But we all know everyone isn't qualified.   Lets assume new parameters... 500 calls at 20% contact rate=100 at 40% qualified=40 contacts..   Would you agree? 
Dec 11, 2009 3:41 am

[quote=Squash1]No offense but I disagree contacts can be controlled, I think dials can be controlled. But I have no control over if someone answers the phone or if I can get through a secretary…

But let's take you scenario.. 200 contacts/week assuming 5 day schedule is 40/day, so if we work back from that..   40 contacts at 20% rate is 200 calls/day. That is the case only if the 20% you contact on 200 calls are qualified. But we all know everyone isn't qualified.   Lets assume new parameters... 500 calls at 20% contact rate=100 at 40% qualified=40 contacts..   Would you agree? [/quote]     Contacts can be controlled by calling until you get your number.  Day to day numbers can fluctuate which is why I say 200 contacts a week.  That is enough time to even out the ebbs and flows.  I was never a believer in the idea that if you dial 200 times you are good to go.  I am not saying I am right or you are wrong, that is just my opinion.  If you dialed 80 numbers and got 40 contacts on one day, then dialed 300 numbers and got 30 contacts the next, which is the better day?  Yes it is a ridiculous hypothetical, but you get the point.  And no I am not saying that you should stop at 80 dials, nor am I saying that I would make 600 dials to get to 40 contacts.  I am saying on the 80 dial day, if you called another 60 numbers and got 10 more contacts, that would even out the 300 dial day.
Dec 11, 2009 3:42 am

Mind telling us what your LOS is and how long you called for?

Dec 11, 2009 4:03 am
Squash1:

Mind telling us what your LOS is and how long you called for?

I certainly don't remember 16% CDs or 12% treasuries, but I have been around long enough to see many new brokers cold call.  As far as your second question, I still call today.  I assume you are asking how long was cold calling the #1 priority of my day.  I can't answer that.    My goal was 200 contacts a week.  I had nothing else to do when I started, so I dialed.  I would piss around and waste time after I made my contacts.  Over time, I got busier which cut down mostly on my wasted time.  At some point,  I was wasting very little time, and busy enough that it cut into my calling time.  Year 3 or 4, somewhere in there.
Dec 11, 2009 5:18 am
aeromaks:

I am just wondering, why are you focusing on cold calling your entire day?  I am sure you will snap soon.  Why not work the people you already know?  or try to get additional business from your existing clients, provide value, get recommendations and introductions.

Making enormous volumes of calls gives you a rhino like skin, the ability to over come objections like a boxer and to leap tall buildings in a single bound.   Get out of denial and get on the phone.  
Dec 11, 2009 2:38 pm

What are you calling with, product or service? Going for appointment or mail out? Who are you calling? How are you qualifying?

I certainly understand the importance of calling activity but it seems the above questions would ultimately determine your effectiveness.
Dec 11, 2009 2:47 pm
chief123:

[quote=WarRoom]You boys need to bump your calls up.  No reason you can bust 40 calls an hour and still have time to screw around.  Do two sessions in the morning and one before you head home.

Who are you talking too?? over 150+ calls last 2 days with 4 appts...   By the way 2 sessions in the morning and 1 at night is only 120 calls..superman..   What did you do today at your "REGIONAL FIRM" with 4 branch offices??[/quote]   Such a sensative girl,  I was not talking about you. 
Dec 11, 2009 6:46 pm

You should be embarrassed to post such ridiculously low numbers. You keep saying, “I’m gonna do this tomorrow, I’m gonna do that TOMORROW”. Do it TODAY. 48 calls one day, 78 calls the next? Are you kidding? We can always come up with excuses as to why we don’t make the calls necessary (myself included), but for the love of god, what in the world are you doing all day!!! Not a rip on you, but just a smack in the nose for a reality check. You’ll never make it with those numbers. Pump up the volume!

Dec 12, 2009 1:38 am

Booyah

213 calls
48 contacts
12 prospects created 0 sales =\   Ok 7:30pm on Friday and I'm still in my office, I'm going out for beer.
Dec 12, 2009 1:39 am
Btw I (sincerely) appreciate being called out when I don't work as hard as I should. Don't worry about being polite.
Dec 12, 2009 1:56 am

When i first got into the business, my manager who was awesome at training people always said you should strive for 40-60 contacts per day.  Btw, i could never average those numbers.  My ratio of contacts to calls has always averaged 10%.  200 dials will yield 20 contacts and on average I would get 1-2 prospects for 20 contacts.  To me a contact is getting the entire script out and waiting for a response.  My script is the traditional muni bond script.  Obviously the length of the script will also dictate how many contacts you will get.  Once the person engages me in conversation and I can qualify for money and or need I will call that a lead/prospect.

I track these numbers daily as well as track the amount of follow up conversations i have with existing prospects.  Following up is just as important.  I have also been tracking how many prospects I have in my database.   Food for thought.
Dec 12, 2009 2:01 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]Booyah

213 calls
48 contacts
12 prospects created 0 sales =\   Ok 7:30pm on Friday and I'm still in my office, I'm going out for beer.[/quote]    
Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm

heh heh heh working on a Saturday don’t tell mom

Dec 14, 2009 11:51 pm

0 calls

0 contacts 0 prospects 0 sales

Spent the entire day creating a list of ~10,000 prospects including name, address, and phone number