Skip navigation

Door Knocking 101

or Register to post new content in the forum

10 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Sep 30, 2009 4:53 am

Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way that some might find helpful

1. Best times to door knock - 11am - 1pm & 3pm - 7pm … Anytime Saturday
2. Figure out where you are going and where you are going to park the day before
3. Dress professional and be professional - they should know just why you are there
4. Set up an expectation of a return call.  Ask them what they like to invest in.
5. Be friendly, be nice, and have fun. 
6. Make the conversation about them, not you.
7. Screw the aholes - don’t let them bother you
8. Always have a back up plan if you don’t like the street you are on
9. Knock twice if you know they are home and hiding
10. If you see two kids in short sleeve shirts and ties go somewhere else.
11. Borrow suckers from Ron to hand out to kids.
12. If they tell you they have someone, just keep going with your pitch
13. Buy shoes for comfort not looks
14. Drive up to homes if your in that kind of area
15. Early morning sucks for residential prospecting
16. Don’t get sucked into conversations you can’t win at … ie: politics
17. Practice in the ghetto before you hit the nice homes
18. Don’t tell them you are new
19. Buy cheap cheap wrinkle free white shirts and plan to burn them after a few weeks.
20. Do it often, keep knocking, it sucks but it works
21. Send thank you cards out quickly
22. Get good at qualifying on the door.
23. Ask how long they’ve been at their current job - 401k rollover possible if short time
24. Everyone needs a Roth, don’t be afraid to tell them
25. The church people will try to recruit you … don’t commit unless you plan to go
26. Keep visits under 5 minutes unless your looking at statements or fake boobs
27. Keep a cooler in your car with some h2o
28. Work nice homes when you get back from Eval/Grad
29. Never tell someone you are working from your home office
30. Take good notes
31. Leave your cell phone and watch in the car.  Time is not important
32. If you leave a door hanger call the person THAT night and introduce yourself
33. People don’t really care where you park, so just get out and go knock
34. Wave and smile like you know everyone
35. Shave your face and cut your hair shaggy.  Walk the walk, talk the talk, and look the part.
36. Facial hair does not make you look older, just less trust worthy.

That’s all I have for now… others can add more

Sep 30, 2009 5:09 am

Oh, my script:

Hi, my name is Volt, I’m an FA with EDJ here in xxxxxx. I’m just taking a little time today to stretch my legs and meet some folks in the community.  How long have you lived on the street? (401k rollover) Ah, great … Now do you work in the area or are you retired? Terrific - have you heard of EDJ before? OHHH, geez, I didn’t even ask your name.  Bob? Oh what’s your last name … let me write that down!  Well Bob I help people plan for xxxxxx - have you met with a FA before? 

Well, I just wanted to stop by and say hello - so thanks for taking some time to talk with me.  I love to keep in touch with the folks I meet if that would be okay?  Great whats the best number to reach you at? Terrific, as soon as something interesting comes along that I think you might be interested in I’ll give you a call.  Take care!

95% of the people I meet give me their phone numbers.

Sep 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Great Post!

Don't forget your Golf Ball!!

[quote=voltmoie]7. Screw the aholes - don't let them bother you
Also, remember, there is a good chance you just caught them at a bad time. I just converted a client that originally said "not interested" and slammed the door in my face. I repeated them and they talked the second time. I just transferred in $10k and we are also DCAing. These are the types that will be clients for life, as long as I stay in touch with them. He is also at a very good job with a huge 401k that when he does retire (still a few years down the road) I have no doubt I will get that business, and I am sure I am going to get some referrals, also. I could have easily skipped that house on repeats, but I'm just too stubborn for that, and they appreciated it.

36. Facial hair does not make you look older, just less trust worthy.

thought my mustache made me look distinguished.

[/quote]

Oct 1, 2009 12:53 am

Voltmoie last night:  “Self, what can I put on these forums that will put me in legendary status like guys like The Judge?  Everyone talks about his 500 Day War like he’s some kinda genius.  Well geez, I’m a genius too!  I just need to show people.  Door Knocking 101, thats it!  In 2011 people will be telling the newbies, ‘Just go read Voltmoie’s Door Knocking 101.  It’s MUST READ for ANY Jonesie regardless if they’re brand new or 25 year vets.’  Yea, that’ll be great.  This is gonna be awesome…”

Oct 1, 2009 12:58 am

I hope i’m still reading these boards in three years when volt leaves.

Btw 3rd - funny as hell.

Oct 1, 2009 1:20 am

[quote=3rdyrp2]Voltmoie last night:  “Self, what can I put on these forums that will put me in legendary status like guys like The Judge?  Everyone talks about his 500 Day War like he’s some kinda genius.  Well geez, I’m a genius too!  I just need to show people.  Door Knocking 101, thats it!  In 2011 people will be telling the newbies, ‘Just go read Voltmoie’s Door Knocking 101.  It’s MUST READ for ANY Jonesie regardless if they’re brand new or 25 year vets.’  Yea, that’ll be great.  This is gonna be awesome…”[/quote]

This is funny!!!..but I feel like I should be defending Volt since he followed my “New Thread” idea. DK101 was a response to a newbie who couldn’t get his knocks to work. And since he’s relatively new and producing, Volt’s probably the best person to write this thread…other than Windy, of course!

Oct 1, 2009 3:52 am

The man, the myth, the legend!

Just trying to help at something I’m actually an expert on in this business - it beats being a smartass all the time. Expert at that too.

3rd - maybe you could start a Fish bowl Prospecting for dummies thread?!?

Oct 1, 2009 6:18 pm

All I have to say is Cheers! to #26.  Nothing like a coupla fat ones in your face to keep you going!

Oct 1, 2009 6:20 pm
voltmoie:

The man, the myth, the legend!

Just trying to help at something I’m actually an expert on in this business - it beats being a smartass all the time. Expert at that too.

No it doesn't         &   Hilarious!
Oct 1, 2009 7:36 pm
voltmoie:

Please, Volt, do not force these repressed memories back into my head!!!  I've done as good of a job as possible getting the term "Lunch and Learn" out of my head and repressing the memories of serving Subway to a bunch of administrative assistants while talking to them about the importance of rolling over old 401(k)'s I know they don't have and pushing the idea of saving as much as you can into your 401(k), even though I knew damn well that 75% of the people I was speaking to couldn't afford to save into their 401(k).  Aaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!  The memories are back!!