Skip navigation

Networking 2010 and Beyond

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 21, 2010 4:53 pm

I've been involved at a country & golf club for 3 1/2 years. Thought I might share some details, for folks considering networking. Also, hearing some other stories would be of interest to me.

I'm a serious golfer, might wind up hitting 170 rounds for the year. I was playing 100 rounds per year at public courses, and decided a club might be cheaper, and the course of a higher caliber. So, I joined the club with golf being my first consideration, family enjoyment 2nd, and business opportunities 3rd.

I hate pushy, so I've been pretty low key about my biz since day one. But, since I'm one of the most frequent players at the club, I've gotten to know everyone quite well.

Now, I'm opening accounts, and they are the mover and shakers of the area. I've got connections for all sorts of long term potential. Really, pretty exciting.

A couple years ago, a fellow that was a business banker told me to not expect results for 3 yrs, would hit after that. That I could understand, and I just kept with it. 

My suggestion for all reps, especially the newer and younger rep that is SERIOUS about this biz, is to find a networking opportunity. You must LOVE what you join, have a passion for it. You must commit TIME to it. Folks involved must have MONEY. 

Other networking ideas, or experiences, would like to hear about it.

Oct 22, 2010 12:46 am

I go to 12 step meetings because I am a recovering alchololic.  I started going to meetings in rich towns only.  There are some really wealthy people there.  I figured this was a good idea because I go to the meetings anyway for many years now and have a pasion for it.  Any thoughts? 

ps. I have tried to pursue and business yet because I don't want to seem pushy

Oct 22, 2010 12:49 am

I meant to say I HAVE NOT TRIED TO PURSUE BUSINESS YET

P.S.

I realize some people are going to make fun of me for posting this but I honestly want feedback.  I want to know if this is a good idea or not.  Most recovering alcoholics are very compulsive people and "addicted to work" so a great deal of them have a decent amount of money.

Oct 22, 2010 1:47 pm

I had to go to AA for a DWI 5-6 years ago, 180 meetings in 12 months. I would sit in the back and just listen to the people stories. The place I was going to was in a very wealthy part of town. For the most part all of them had 100k+ jobs with a few making over 1m. Since you know the system of AA, go in for a few meetings, look around and find out whos driving the new lexus or bmw, then start talking to them at the coffee pot. Might take some time but I'm sure you can find some clients.

Oct 22, 2010 3:59 pm

I suggest that when you meet someone via networking, and a mutual interest in each other arises, the best thing to do is change the venue. So, I've gone skiing with some of the guys from my golf club, and we've done some little road trips to other courses. Then of course, we're in the car talking, at dinner, etc.

I also included about 15 of my club friends to my open house last spring, and that really worked out quite well. 

Oct 26, 2010 2:17 pm

[quote=ricky32478]

I meant to say I HAVE NOT TRIED TO PURSUE BUSINESS YET

P.S.

I realize some people are going to make fun of me for posting this but I honestly want feedback.  I want to know if this is a good idea or not.  Most recovering alcoholics are very compulsive people and "addicted to work" so a great deal of them have a decent amount of money.

[/quote]

Ricky I commend you for the courage it took to post that. If you are very passionate about that then that is great. Your passion comes first, the rest will follow

Oct 31, 2010 5:24 am

I am surprised this topic has yielded so few responses. I am not big on the networking thing but it will be my focus next year as I have reached the point where I think it will benefit me to start prospecting the clients I want instead of any prospect that will do business with me.

So here are the basic groups:

Rotary Club

BNI Group

Optimist Club

Board Member of a Local Business

Chamber of Commerce

Civic Groups

Lions Club

Offer to Speak at Various Events

Wine Tasting Events (I personally think is horse shit but i am a bourbon man myself)

Elks Club

Kiwanis Club

Charitable Events

Private Clubs/Events

Personal Hobbies

(note: keep in mind your ideal client demographic when looking for networking events. For example - You don't want to join Optimist if you are looking at 45-55 y/o accumulators.)

What else is out there? 

Nov 1, 2010 4:43 pm

ND, you've posted a nice list. I think a person could also create their own club, based upon their own interest. As long as the group is something you are passionate about, there are regular meetings, and folks attending have money, you're good.

Be nice to hear some success and failure stories about networking.