Skip navigation

My list of 600 executives

or Register to post new content in the forum

29 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jan 21, 2007 2:50 am

[quote=BondGuy]

ETY is an Eaton Vance closed end fund. They’re bring
a new fund next month. talk to your Eaton vance Eaton Vance
wholesaler or try their web site.

Good luck. Keep up the calls.

[/quote]

Behhhh,

I would never sell someone a fresh closed end fund. 10-1 your're going see the fund trade a discount to NAV in 10 months.
Jan 21, 2007 2:53 am

[quote=BondGuy]

3. If the companies are public, offer stock option financing or Wall Street reseach on their own firm.[/quote]

This is a very good one. Most folks in the ESOP programs would be interested in a research report on their own company. Very good take up on this.

Jan 25, 2007 9:07 pm

[quote=ManDate]

FYI…Dividend Capture Strategy

------------

[quote]Income investors who buy stocks for their dividend payouts will always keep a close watch on the ex-dividend date. Using what's called a "dividend capture strategy," these investors scoop up the stock right before it goes ex-dividend, capture the dividend, hold the stock for at least 61 days -- the minimum time required for a dividend to be taxed at the recently reduced 15% rate -- then move out of the stock and into another security that is about to go ex-dividend.

By employing a dividend capture strategy, investors can capture 50% more dividends in any given year from the same investment dollars[/quote]

http://www.streetauthority.com/cmnts/cp/2006/02-22.asp

[/quote]

I can't believe that no one commented on this absurd strategy. (and by the way, it would be unethical for any advisor to employ it or recommend it.)

A person who bought a stock just prior to the ex-div, would then be subject to having his own money being immediately returned to him (the dividend) and then having to pay taxes on it! 

Of course, when the person then sold the stock 61 days later (as per this absurd strategy,) he would most likely suffer a capital loss (the result of the dividend being taken out of the stock price.)  Now, the good news is that the capital loss would be used to offset the dividend, however, there is a net limit of $3000 that can be used to offset normal income.  So, if a person did this enough times, the dividends that he received (for which there is no limit) would be far greater than the $3000 limit for capital losses offset.  Thus, the person would be doing nothing but paying taxes for a transaction with absolutely nothing to show for it.

That doesn't even begin to account for the commission costs to buy and sell the stock.

Jan 25, 2007 9:41 pm

One of their disciplines it to identify attractive secotrs and the underlying companies. Of course, the capturing of te dividend is one key ingredient, but they look for companies whose intrinsic value is below the market price. Also, one the DIV gets paid they look for opportunities that immediately trade back up the price before the dividend was paid.

Also, special dividends are taken into consideration as well.

If they were simply entering and exiting positions to capture a dividend I would agree that the strategy may be suspect, but their are multiple strategies taking place there.

Jan 25, 2007 9:49 pm

[quote=blarmston]

One of their disciplines it to identify attractive secotrs and the underlying companies. Of course, the capturing of te dividend is one key ingredient, but they look for companies whose intrinsic value is below the market price. Also, one the DIV gets paid they look for opportunities that immediately trade back up the price before the dividend was paid.

Also, special dividends are taken into consideration as well.

If they were simply entering and exiting positions to capture a dividend I would agree that the strategy may be suspect, but their are multiple strategies taking place there.

[/quote]

Capturing the dividend is a joke.  "Capturing the dividend" simply means, "we're going to take some of your money that you just gave to us and give it right back to you, and then you are going to have to pay taxes on that money...which belonged to you tax free just a few days ago."

By the way, saying that this strategy "may be suspect" is not correct at all.  The strategy is not only a total joke, but it is also deemed unethical by the regulators.

Jan 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Send them a “Strip-A-Gram”…but make sure you get a volume discount

beforehand.

If you go in alphabetical order, prospect #5 will probably call you first.

Jan 25, 2007 11:29 pm

Capturing the dividend is a joke.  "Capturing the dividend" simply means, "we're going to take some of your money that you just gave to us and give it right back to you, and then you are going to have to pay taxes on that money...which belonged to you tax free just a few days ago."

By the way, saying that this strategy "may be suspect" is not correct at all.  The strategy is not only a total joke, but it is also deemed unethical by the regulators.

The proof is in the pudding... Check out the returns from some of these funds. Alpine has a couple good performers I believe...

Jan 26, 2007 12:34 am

[quote=blarmston]

Capturing the dividend is a joke.  “Capturing the dividend” simply means, "we’re going to take some of your money that you just gave to us and give it right back to you, and then you are going to have to pay taxes on that money…which belonged to you tax free just a few days ago."

By the way, saying that this strategy “may be suspect” is not correct at all.  The strategy is not only a total joke, but it is also deemed unethical by the regulators.

The proof is in the pudding... Check out the returns from some of these funds. Alpine has a couple good performers I believe...

[/quote]

If there were positive returns achieved in closed positions, then they were achieved through short term capital gains that occurred after the ex div date.  It is impossible to have achieved positive returns in closed positions by simply buying the dividend.  On the other hand, if the positions are still open, and these funds are reporting the dividend as a positive return on investment, then they are also probably not reporting the fact that the open positions are in the hole for the exact same percentage that they are claiming as a positive return.

I'm still amazed that there are so many people who don't understand dividends.  Contrary to the belief of so many people, dividends are not the same as interest payments.
Jan 26, 2007 6:19 am

[quote=blarmston]

[/quote]

Dividend capture is a stupid excuse for churning an account.

My thought's on this "strategy" are found in my signature.