Skip navigation

Combroker Cold Calling Journal 2011

or Register to post new content in the forum

73 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Mar 21, 2011 1:20 pm

That's an awesome lay out of your day Com, not to hijack your thread but I'd like to share my day also. 

7:30-8:00am: Prep for cold call.  I go into a small conference room and dial.

8:00-8:50am: Cold call SBO, from my experience this is one of the best times to call SBO.  Rarely you'll catch a gate keeper.

8:50-9:00am: Sip water, take a walk

9:00-9:50am: Cold call SBO.

9:50-10:00am: Break

10:00a-10:50am: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

10:50-11:00am: Break

11:00-11:50am: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

11:50-12:30PM: Lunch/relax

12:30-1:00PM: Follow up calls if I have any

1:00-1:50PM: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

1:50-2:00PM: Break

2:00PM-2:50PM: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

2:50-3:00PM: Break

3:00-3:50PM: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

3:50-4:00PM: Break

4:00-5:30: Cold call SBO/Corporate directory

5:30-6:00PM: Small bite, take a walk

6:00-7:30PM: Cold call Residence

7:30: Go wait for my bus.

Obviously things change as appointments come, but I come in on Saturday if I was not able to reach 200 contacts for the week.  Saturdays I call only residential.

Com, can you PM me your sales/process with your manager? I'm interested to hear it.

Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

No problem sharing your schedule, that's what I wanted to start this for...to share ideas.

I am going to try and post our sales process/outline either during lunch, or if i dont have time, later tonight.  It's a little lengthy and I have my 1st calling session coming up, but I will try to get it on here sometime today for sure.

Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Friday, March 18th

224 Dials

17 Contacts

1 Prospect

Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Com, been following your thread, it's been helpful for me.  Keep up the good work.  Question, does your firm provide you with your recorded calls or are you doing those recordings on your own?

Mar 21, 2011 5:03 pm

[quote=sbairtime]

Com, been following your thread, it's been helpful for me.  Keep up the good work.  Question, does your firm provide you with your recorded calls or are you doing those recordings on your own?

[/quote]

We just got a new phone system that records each call, and temporarily saves it to the computer system...when we have a call we want to save we can just flag it, and at the end of the day we just delete the rest of the calls...its very useful.

Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Ok, so I will give a little intro to our sales process, this won't be the complete process because right now I am technically a junior broker, so I am responsible for the first 3-5 minutes of a call, then conferencing in one of our principles, or setting an appt to talk with one of our principles.

right now we deal with managed futures and broker-assisted trading with futures(have an IRA also, but broker-dealer isnt going through until summer). People are not very familiar with futures, and managed futures...so we have to use a conclusionary sales process...we do not want to tell people the benefits of working with us, we want them to conclude the benefits of working with us.  We also want to find a commonality with the prospect so they can relate to us(which is the market).

Step 1 is the first 3-5 minutes of the initial call, which is what I am doing now.  In this call, before I hand the phone off, I need the prospect to conclude that I am not telephone trash, that I know what I am talking about, and that our organization offers depth(i.e. the client has access to our cnbc analysts, principles, partners -- it goes well-beyond just a broker-client relationship).

Also, we do not ask yes or no questions, all questions are open-ended/multiple choice geared at starting a discussion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, is _____ available?

Hi _____, this is ______ from _______. You had requested some info in the past on the markets, and we are following up with that request....are you trading in the markets now or were just looking for some general info on getting started?

----after this response, I ask which markets they are interested in, and then state a few intelligent facts about those markets, for example:

Me: So______, which markets are you involved with right now

Prospect: I like to mainly focus on the grain markets, wheat especially

Me: Well wheat has been extremely volatile as of late, especially last week reaching limiti down on the japanese nuclear reactor news, but it has rebounded nicely

-----now, I follow-up with another open-ended question to further discussion....

Me: So how would you approach this wheat market right now? What type of strategy do you think you would use?

----the prospect would most likely talk about a simple buy and sell strategy, then we elaborate into his or her success/failures in the past using this(this is where I find the holes in their trading, and down the lines will get them to conclude that we have the solution). 

Then, I simply say..."Well ____, one of the principles here in our office, ______, is a frequent analyst for the grain markets on cnbc, bloomberg, and fox business news.  How about we get him on the line so he can give you his outlook on the markets for a few minutes"

That's when I hand the phone off, and about as far as I am in the process now....it's been working very well, we have a lot of people from our company go on cnbc regularly, which is good for recognition, and this shows the prospect 3rd party credibility...bringing a credible 3rd party info source onto the line to talk to them.

Now, what we do is set an appt. after this call to speak in the future, we present them a strategy/approach to the market, they see that it makes sense and have kind of an 'ah ha!' moment, and we go for the close.  As you can see, I do not have a lot of experience after the forst 3-5 minutes, so I will have to elaborate more on the middle-end of the process in the future when I gain more experience.

Mar 22, 2011 12:52 am

thats very unique.  I wish I had a real mentor...I'm doing ok at the moment but there are many times where I feel lost, and doubt clouds my mind. 

Mar 22, 2011 3:00 am

[quote=newregrep]

thats very unique.  I wish I had a real mentor...I'm doing ok at the moment but there are many times where I feel lost, and doubt clouds my mind. 

[/quote]

It does help a lot, and our training program isnt even in our office...I do the sales meetings through skype and/or conference calls.

My manager also does a good job of keeping me accountable in the office and is very motivating.

I kind of landed in this situation out of pure dumb luck, and have a lot of resources at my disposal...the only reason that I cannot become a big producer for the company is if I am holding myself back..no excuses

Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Monday, March 21

157 Dials

7 Contacts

0 Prospects

...ended up only dialing for not even a half day,  went home sick

Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm

sorry for the lack of updates this week, I was out sick two days, and the other two haven't really tracked my dials because i was kind of digging up old accounts and stuff and prospecting on those.

Got 3 new accounts opened this week, and about 4 more that should be coming in next week or the week after.  My closing rate has been very good thus far on good qualified prospects.

If you guys would like, I can continue tracking my dials this coming Monday..

Mar 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Good stuff Com, I knew your pipeline will start closing.  I started my journal on the other advisory forum, come check it when you can, I'd love your feedback and critism

Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

[quote=newregrep]

Good stuff Com, I knew your pipeline will start closing.  I started my journal on the other advisory forum, come check it when you can, I'd love your feedback and critism

[/quote]

I'm thinking of transferring a journal over there...my thread hasnt been too active here

Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Do you guys have a link for the other forum, I'd like to get involved.  Thanks, SB