Skip navigation

529 Marketing thru Montessori's?

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Oct 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Anyone tested this?

Stop by every Montessori and Daycare center.

Explain that you help parents setup savings plans for kids ; but it’s confusing which one’s to use?
Custodial/ 529 etc.

Ask whether you  can offer an informative “College funding evening”.

or whether you can present at the next parent night for 10 minutes.

Show a copy of your brochure.

Maybe even offer a small donation to the school for $250 if 20 people come to listen.

529 planning can lead to lotsa client reviews etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Oct 16, 2009 11:17 pm

not only a waste of time but if you actually open them it will be a service nightmare down the road.

529/utma/college planning = walk in clinic

wealth planning = brain surgery

be the brain surgeon

Oct 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Even wealthy clients have 529’s for their kids don’t they?

I’ve never had a service call regarding a custodial account.?

Invested in Templeton Founders fund or American funds and done

Are you sure you couldn’t open up some professonal accounts who have wealthy families etc.!

Oct 16, 2009 11:59 pm

ABOM, why would this be a service nightmare? 

dashover, it seems like a pretty good idea to me.  If you are presenting at a private school, you have a good chance that some of the participants have money.  If I was going to do this, I would do a little homework and find out who I wanted to talk to at the different schools and then use clients to give me referrals to the decision makers.
Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

P.S. I actually think that it’s a very good idea and the only reason that I won’t “steal” it is that I’m not willing to do anything that creates night time work for me.

Oct 17, 2009 2:57 pm

My last post is a little bit of a lie because I will do night time work if I’m certain that I’ll make enough money to make it worth my while.  The nice thing about this business is that we don’t have to work when we don’t want to do so.  If my kid has a soccer game Wednesday at 4:00 and I want to attend, it goes in my calendar.  There isn’t a client or a prospect that can only see me this Wednesday at 4:00.

I also do short nighttime phone reviews after my little ones have been put to sleep.  
Oct 17, 2009 5:12 pm

I see too many people whowant to do 529s who don’t have insurance, don’t fund their Roths and don’t have emergency savings.
I advise them to do that first, then maybe consider a 529. Even then, I’d rather them put money in a tax free fund which can be used for college or other things that come up.

Oct 18, 2009 1:44 pm

[quote=dashover]

Anyone tested this?Stop by every Montessori and Daycare center.Explain that you help parents setup savings plans for kids ; but it’s confusing which one’s to use?Custodial/ 529 etc.Ask whether you can offer an informative “College funding evening”.or whether you can present at the next parent night for 10 minutes.Show a copy of your brochure.Maybe even offer a small donation to the school for $250 if 20 people come to listen.529 planning can lead to lotsa client reviews etc.Thoughts? Thanks!

[/quote]

dash - I think it’s a good idea. But be careful. Montessori schools are a different breed than most private schools.

Oct 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Dash, I’ve considered something similar.  Planned on doing a college planning seminar and asking the day cares to pass out my flyer.  Ultimately nixed the idea because I couldn’t figure out what incentive they would have to pass out my flyer. 

Love the idea of doing it in house and making a donation.  Can you keep us posted on how it turns out? You’ve got me motivated to give this another shot.