Skip navigation

2010 Goals

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Sep 11, 2009 5:22 pm

First of all, have any of you written out 2010?  It just feels weird.

Anyways, I'm starting to think about my 2010 goals.  Thought we could start a thread about this.

One of my 2009 goals was to bring in $7MM net new assets.  So far, I am on pace.  So for 2010, I'd like to up that to $10MM net new assets.

I also had a goal to develop a group of different professionals for COI's.  That didn't quite develop.  My CPA is aloof, one of my estate atty's is having a rough year, and I'm out of contact with some of the others (at least enough to generate referrals).

I'm thinking that I need to create a more rigid system.  Tell them that for me to refer to them, I need to meet with them at least once a month to stay up and up on current industry stuff.   As far as marketing goes, we do a ton of passive marketing which has worked nicely.  But I need to compliment that with more active things like cold calling and drip campaigns.  I would also like to sponsor some community things bi-weekly or monthly and set up a table and offer free financial plans (it's working very well for others in my area).   I would like to join some group like a chamber of commerce or rotary, but have found those to be more of a waste of time than anything else.   So all that being said, here are my early 2010 goals:   -Bring in $10MM net new assets -Have monthly meetings with COI's (CPA, Estate atty, Tax Atty, Health Insurance Broker, Loan Officer, Business Broker, Property/Casualty Insurance Agent) -Do monthly lunch and learns at several different local companies -Host a small client + friends event quarterly -Run one charity event -Write more thank you notes   What are some of you going to do?  We can all help each other here.  Start planning now, write it down, think positive, you will find a way to accomplish your goals.
Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Snags, what are the “passive” things you are doing that you say are working?  I find that very little “passive” activity works for me.  I am in a small but financially saturated market, so I have to work for every lead I get. 

Sep 11, 2009 11:08 pm
B24:

Snags, what are the “passive” things you are doing that you say are working?  I find that very little “passive” activity works for me.  I am in a small but financially saturated market, so I have to work for every lead I get. 

Internet marketing and we've signed up for some internet based leads.  I'd say for 2009 thus far, it has contributed to about $1.5MM in new assets and $60,000 in new first year income, and about $13,000 in trails to begin in 13th month.  Plus, several great referral opportunities, one for about $2MM that we are trying to pin down as we speak.    Plus, we landed a gold mine of an estate/tax atty that personally opened an account and will be a great referral source.    These internet based leads don't always pan out, I'd say we've received about 50 leads YTD from one source in particular and have acquired 8 as clients.  Of those 50, I've only been able to reach less than half if that.  Hopefully #9 will be next week, which would produce between $7,000 - $9,000 commission. 
Sep 14, 2009 2:12 am

When you say internet leads, what do you mean exactly?  Buying leads?

Sep 14, 2009 3:05 am

My goals for 2010:

Make some coin
Transition 1/2 of my clients to junior advisor
Work no more than 8 months
Work no more than 30 hrs in any one week
Not get fat
Not lose hair
Not get grey hair
Drop handicap to 2 or lower

In no particular order - I think I’ll start on the not fat, grey, bald; play golf, then work my way up the list.

Good luck snags and thanks for getting the wheels turning a little toward next year. - JW

Sep 14, 2009 4:35 pm
AdvisorControl.com:

Drop handicap to 2 or lower

That may be the hardest one.  The lowest I ever got was a 2.  After I couldn't play to it anymore, I gave up golf with the exception of charity events and scrambles.
Sep 14, 2009 5:24 pm

I plan on doing more advisory and more life insurance.

Sep 15, 2009 1:28 am
snaggletooth:

[quote=AdvisorControl.com]Drop handicap to 2 or lower

That may be the hardest one.  The lowest I ever got was a 2.  After I couldn't play to it anymore, I gave up golf with the exception of charity events and scrambles.[/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me.  I was a +1 in college, then started working and went to about a 6 from lack of play/practice.  So I quit golf for 3 years.  When I started back up I was a 6 and have been between 4-6 for the past few years now.  So in 2010, it's either going back down or I'm quitting for a few years again.
Sep 15, 2009 4:18 am
AdvisorControl.com:

[quote=snaggletooth][quote=AdvisorControl.com]Drop handicap to 2 or lower

That may be the hardest one.  The lowest I ever got was a 2.  After I couldn't play to it anymore, I gave up golf with the exception of charity events and scrambles.[/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me.  I was a +1 in college, then started working and went to about a 6 from lack of play/practice.  So I quit golf for 3 years.  When I started back up I was a 6 and have been between 4-6 for the past few years now.  So in 2010, it's either going back down or I'm quitting for a few years again.
[/quote]   I'd quit again.